The Falkirk FC Thread

50 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Yeh played as Centre Half in just over 90% of matches after that first season. 

I was more referring to his first spell at the club and league games. He was a mixture of positions in 90/91, wasn’t an ever present 91/92 (all at centre back), played about a 1/4 of games in 92/93, 2/3 thirds in 93/94 but was put in midfield after his lay-off as there was a settled back line before moving to CB and in 94/95 player under half of the games.

8 hours ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I was more referring to his first spell at the club and league games. He was a mixture of positions in 90/91, wasn’t an ever present 91/92 (all at centre back), played about a 1/4 of games in 92/93, 2/3 thirds in 93/94 but was put in midfield after his lay-off as there was a settled back line before moving to CB and in 94/95 player under half of the games.

Think even then it’s around 104/150 so just above 66%.

That first season was the main one, which to be fair, I thought he had played much more as a Centre Half in that first season judging by what had been said from the 90-91 reunion. Also had no idea he played a little bit more in midfield in other seasons, as you had described. 

Edited by Dave McInally

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Listened to a bit of Yogi on the Sacked in the Morning show on the BBC yesterday. Lots of good stories from his time at Falkirk as a player and a manager. 

I wonder if Yogi has ever tried to do an Owen Coyle or David Robertson and applied for some overseas positions in the likes of India? The longer that he is totally out of the game the less chance he has of picking something up.

14 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I wonder if Yogi has ever tried to do an Owen Coyle or David Robertson and applied for some overseas positions in the likes of India? The longer that he is totally out of the game the less chance he has of picking something up.

He's possibly had offers from lower league clubs but still sees himself as a premiership, championship level manager. Who knows but I'd be surprised if noone from the lower leagues has approached him . Jobbies now taken the Clyde job to get back into football for example.

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Said it before but it was always going to be his last season with us, hopefully takes us up as champions before he leaves. 

He would walk into any Championship starting XI in my opinion and you can see why there is interest from SPL clubs. The performance against Dundee United puts him firmly in the limelight and means it's a frenzy for his signature. Is he out of contract this summer?

In previous seasons he's blown a bit hot and cold for me but that could have been related a few factors. Clearly always looked a match winner / game changer on his day. Definitely seems to have found consistency this season and looks unplayable at times.

For the Bairns sake, if he is PCA eligible in January, I suspect you would rather keep him and lose him for nothing than get a likely reduced fee and need to find a replacement?

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 19/11/2023 at 12:31, Believe The Hype said:

John Hughes is the best centre half we have ever had, and I'd happily fight anyone who says otherwise. Absolute behemoth in a Falkirk top and one of my all time favourite players for us. Gave absolutely everything for the badge. 

Stuart Burgess for me, but that's because he was the captain when I was a mascot back in ~1990 or so. He was a cool guy. I have a photo somewhere of him walking me out onto the pitch. Need to dig it out. But he was good, alongside Roddy Manley. 

His laddie has been capped by Australia now, too. 

37 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He would walk into any Championship starting XI in my opinion and you can see why there is interest from SPL clubs. The performance against Dundee United puts him firmly in the limelight and means it's a frenzy for his signature. Is he out of contract this summer?

In previous seasons he's blown a bit hot and cold for me but that could have been related a few factors. Clearly always looked a match winner / game changer on his day. Definitely seems to have found consistency this season and looks unplayable at times.

For the Bairns sake, if he is PCA eligible in January, I suspect you would rather keep him and lose him for nothing than get a likely reduced fee and need to find a replacement?

He’s under 24 years of age, would we not still be due a development fee even if he left at the end of his contract? 

42 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

There's no doubt that we could be doing with the money, however, I would rather keep him until the summer because I think his goals may be crucial in getting us promoted.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

There's no doubt that we could be doing with the money, however, I would rather keep him until the summer because I think his goals may be crucial in getting us promoted.

Yeah its a keep from me, who knows he'd maybe stay with us if we got up.

15 minutes ago, AndrewFFC said:

Definitely would be keeping him unless we get a huge offer which would let us stay FT next season even if we fail to get promoted. I'd also back McGlynn to get the right replacement in for the rest of the season if he was to go

Ironically any funds we get could be sent toward securing the services of the perfectly adequate replacement we already have in Ethan Ross

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Good player, few goals in him though.

I think in that scenario, and i'd be happy with Ross being the pler that gets signed, we would need to adjust somewhat to push Calvin Miller into the more threatening scenarios that Morrison gets into goals wise. Don't think its a huge tweak, and Miller is much closer to the explosiveness that Morrison has. Who knows whether he'd get as many As Cal does, but I wouldn't back against him.