The Falkirk FC Thread

One of those games I would have been delighted if we'd won, but losing it I'm just meh, doesn't really matter.

Despite not playing well, we had far more chances than TNS. They were clearly a big strong fit team and able to press us effectively.  I love McCann and Yeats but I think last night highlighted the weaknesses in our full back areas. Not sure how many times the keeper landed the high ball on McCann before we actually adapted. 

Onwards, we've shown we can beat every team in this league so no need to get in a tizzy about the result. We'll have Tait and Ross back so options from the bench will be better. The Hamilton match can't come quickly enough.

Best look forward not back. The game's 90 minutes not just highlights after all.

Anyone any idea of the prize money for losing the match compared to getting to the final? Cannot see anything about that anywhere on-line.

17 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

Just don't know what goes through these laddies heads.

They are an embarrassment to themselves and the club.

Whoever the perpetrators turn out to be - "ultras" or not - they're not welcome in our support.

Does look like some of the Ultras in this video. Can see some of the scarves. Not sure who else it would be. Seen a comment saying it could be locals but feel that’s a bit of a stretch. 

Shame that a few of them could ruin it as by and large they’ve been a great addition. 

Edited by Dave Mc

6 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

Does look like some of the Ultras in this video. Can see some of the scarves. Not sure who else it would be. Seen a comment saying it could be locals but feel that’s a bit of a stretch. 

Shame that a few of them could ruin it as by and large they’ve been a great addition. 

The CCTV at the ground is crystal clear so identifying them should be easy enough. 

6 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

Crikey - the boy that posted that supports Everton and Celtic and his Twitter feed is full of pro-IRA nonsense.

It would appear he has bigger issues than being outraged at a few teenagers throwing a wheelie bin.

1 hour ago, BPM said:

But Lang should just launch it and regroup 

Definitely. Accumulation of errors and was part of a period of the match where it felt like we were overplaying it. Nesbitt's pass was the one that put the play back into a risky area from a relatively safe place though, so I'd have him equally accountable.

More generally, it's mad how different folk's opinions can be on the same game. Seen calls that Nesbitt and Spencer were the best players on the park, but I thought the midfield was probably our weakest point. Neat and tidy, sure, but last night we needed them to be quicker and get the ball to front 3 in dangerous areas.

17 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

You'd hope there would be strong statements out today from U1876 and the club.

I'm sure there was a 3-strikes and out proposition that was put to them by the club, IIRC.

It'd be a shame if the work done by the U1876 organisers is undone by those who've attached themselves for reasons other than the football.

As for last night we were beaten by an inferior football team who were superior at carrying out their game plan.

It was crystal clear when listening to their manager’s pre match interview that he knew exactly how we would set up for this match and his tactics were spot on.

Had we scored the first goal I think that we would have gone on to win reasonably comfortably but of course that’s auntie had baws stuff.

My concern centres on our failure to adapt to the challenge TNS set us last night.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the first real issue we see from within the ultras section comes after the police wade into them during the game. 

I spent around 2 years studying policy relating to football fans, particularly around policing and surveillance at matches. There is an endless list of evidence that the tactics employed by the police (we seen them in the first half yesterday) are antagonistic. All they caused yesterday by wading into the group was to chuck a few folk out, and piss off 100 others who were otherwise fairly calm.

I'd be incredibly disappointed in the Club if they released as statement as all it does it perpetuate the notions that 'ultras' are deviant. So far the approach the Club have taken is perfect - by taking any issues behind closed doors and fixing them. Let that continue. 

17 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

As for last night we were beaten by an inferior football team who were superior at carrying out their game plan.

It was crystal clear when listening to their manager’s pre match interview that he knew exactly how we would set up for this match and his tactics were spot on.

Had we scored the first goal I think that we would have gone on to win reasonably comfortably but of course that’s auntie had baws stuff.

My concern centres on our failure to adapt to the challenge TNS set us last night.

Don’t agree that they were an inferior football team. It was hardly the case that we had them penned in but were unable to make the breakthrough- we didn’t create enough at all.

They are not a swashbuckling side but that is not required to be a good tesm. They are clearly well drilled and effective at playing the way they do. 

1 minute ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the first real issue we see from within the ultras section comes after the police wade into them during the game. 

I spent around 2 years studying policy relating to football fans, particularly around policing and surveillance at matches. There is an endless list of evidence that the tactics employed by the police (we seen them in the first half yesterday) are antagonistic. All they caused yesterday by wading into the group was to chuck a few folk out, and piss off 100 others who were otherwise fairly calm.

I'd be incredibly disappointed in the Club if they released as statement as all it does it perpetuate the notions that 'ultras' are deviant. So far the approach the Club have taken is perfect - by taking any issues behind closed doors and fixing them. Let that continue. 

I agree with the first part of your comment- I’ve no idea what the individual removed did but I did think the steward and police response was heavy handed and unnecessarily antagonistic.

However, given what subsequently happened did happen and has subsequently gone viral, I do think the club need to issue a response.

The ultras have been a great boost to the atmosphere this season, but clearly scenes like last night cannot continue and need to be nipped in the bud.

14 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I can see sense with the approach you suggest but also think that removes responsibility for their actions. Maybe the police didn’t need to throw anyone out but the supporters certainly didn’t need to go to the away fans and start chucking things over the fence. Saying nothing makes it seem this is acceptable.

Would say the trouble is probably as much to do with it being a late kick off and more time spent in the pub beforehand. Seen quite a few of them pissed and causing bother with stewards at Ayr earlier in the season. 

Edited by Dave Mc

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Pretty much how I see it too. Having said that, I do think they were probably the best team we've faced this season, certainly at the basics. The notion that we could go through a full season unbeaten was fanciful though, so, if we need to lose I'd rather it was in the cups than the league.

I knew it wasn't going to be our night when Henderson missed that back post header, the type that he would normally bury! Lang too had a good chance that he should have got on target and Morrison was very unlucky with the drive that went a couple of feet wide. I felt that Nesbitt was good in the first half, not so much second, Miller was poor (again, hopefully reserved for the cups) and MacIver wasn't at it, hasn't been the last few games IMO, seems to get caught on his heels a lot. Donaldson was excellent.

On the Ultras thing; I'm afraid this type of behaviour could be seen coming a mile away. Most teams seem to have them now and the behaviour leaves a lot to be desired. I was talking to a Stenhousemuir fan recently who told me that the Peterhead neds were throwing chips at them, before lobbing bricks at the supporters bus. I mean, Peterhead v Stenhousemuir FFS!! We need to find a way to stamp it out because, if we do go up, it's only going to get worse. That would be a real shame because they've certainly improved the atmosphere.

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Don’t agree that they were an inferior football team. It was hardly the case that we had them penned in but were unable to make the breakthrough- we didn’t create enough at all.

They are not a swashbuckling side but that is not required to be a good tesm. They are clearly well drilled and effective at playing the way they do. 

They were inferior in so much as they had next to no flair or creativity but they were very well organised and played to their strengths which were basically stopping us from playing our game.

19 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

Would say the trouble is probably as much to do with it being a late kick off and more time spent in the pub beforehand. Seen quite a few of them pissed and causing bother with stewards at Ayr earlier in the season. 

A well known Falkirk supporters pub was full of Ultras from early afternoon. Enough said……

I can see that game being played out a number of times next season at home when we play better well organised Championship sides.

Watched it back this morning and I thought the performance was better than it seemed at the game. But we were pretty toothless. 

Maybe indicates a little why we need a Dylan Tait or similar in our XI.