The Falkirk FC Thread

29 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Don’t think there’s anyone having a cheap shot/pot at McCann. He’s been one of our stalwarts this season. Some of his attacking attributes a pleasure to watch. However his defensive qualities when under pressure not as good. 

From a defensive point of view I think McCann's every bit as sound as Mackie (for example) but is far, far better going forward. He doesn't make many mistakes defensively and I actually think that some folk are a bit unfair when assessing this. 

Surely it’s just common sense (irrespective of the TNS game) that we will need improved quality in some positions if we have aspirations of challenging in the championship? Some seemed to have the idea that our current starting 11 would go up and swat teams aside, which is just not going to happen.

I would offer McCann a contract, but I’m not sure it would be on a first choice basis. He reminds me a bit of Tommy Robson who was very popular with sections of the fanbase- good in an attacking sense but vulnerable defensively (which could be problematic in a higher division).

51 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Recognise that I will be in the minority here but I actually like Mackie.

By no means a polished performer but  fairly decent defensively and always gives 100%.

Reggie, Reggie, no chance, he is a bombscare!

The mngr has gave him chances as it's fairly obvious he wants someone taller there than McCann, and any time he has had the chance he hasn't taken it.

6 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

From a defensive point of view I think McCann's every bit as sound as Mackie (for example) 

Not for me- there’s a reason McGlynn signed Mackie and has tried to get him in the team on a number of occasions.

For now he has clearly decided that McCann’s attacking ability outweighs Mackie’s defensive strength (which is fair enough given the opposition we are currently facing. But that equation could well change a league up.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I hope the ultras will be co-operative if only for their own sake as the club can’t continue to facilitate them if incidents keep occurring. Have to say some of their social media content/comments doesn’t do any favours in that regard.

To be honest, I think they’ve been quite restrained given some of the pish that’s been posted about them across several channels. That violence would have happened whether or not the ultras been created this year. There’s been bother at Falkirk games - and many other clubs’ - for years.  

The club’s statement was excellent and I hope there’s enough evidence to get at least the worst offenders. But it’s clear that any silly notion of collective responsibility or punishment is off the table. 

56 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think it’s more to do with the recognition that we look really good in this division and a growing expectation that we were good enough to challenge towards the top of the Championship. The TNS game showed us that we will struggle against higher quality players in a better organised team….

Give the posted highlights of Dunfermline v Morton a watch

Pars took a point of DUFC away, Morton must be top end of being a form team in the champ.

I realise that's it's 9 mins of highlights but if that's the upper standard with long throws and kicking the ball towards the moon, we will be more than ok.

Back to league business please, I personally blame Mcglynn for Edinburgh and Bonnyrigg, his plan b was out for Edinburgh - failed, His plan b was needed for Bonnyrigg with two up top for starters.

Alloa A+ performance and TNS one of those games if we had scored in the first half who knows what would've happened.

I don't think there is a massive gap with what we have and the championship, only thing that concerns me is sticking rigid to the same thing all game when it's clear it needs changed. 

Edited by MrDust

3 minutes ago, StuartA said:

To be honest, I think they’ve been quite restrained given some of the pish that’s been posted about them across several channels. That violence would have happened whether or not the ultras been created this year. There’s been bother at Falkirk games - and many other clubs’ - for years.  

The club’s statement was excellent and I hope there’s enough evidence to get at least the worst offenders. But it’s clear that any silly notion of collective responsibility or punishment is off the table. 

I wouldn’t be looking at collective punishment at this stage, but would definitely be issuing strike 1 of 3 with the hope that’s the end of the matter.

I would also be saying that the social media stuff needs to be toned down.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

Surely it’s just common sense (irrespective of the TNS game) that we will need improved quality in some positions if we have aspirations of challenging in the championship? Some seemed to have the idea that our current starting 11 would go up and swat teams aside, which is just not going to happen.

I would offer McCann a contract, but I’m not sure it would be on a first choice basis. He reminds me a bit of Tommy Robson who was very popular with sections of the fanbase- good in an attacking sense but vulnerable defensively (which could be problematic in a higher division).

If we do get up to the Championship, I can see us keeping the majority of the current squad, if only to have a solid base for basic survival in the league. By doing so we could maybe have enough to finish, say, comfortable mid-table(?). As much as everyone would love a double promotion to the Premier in time for the Club’s 150th, I think it could be too big an ask. We would definitely need to strengthen considerably for push at the Premier, but I’ve already resigned to retrench for a year in the Championship, before having a go the next again season. As for which areas we should strengthen, that’s anyone’s guess, but we’d know once we played a few games against the opposition who’s not up to the task. But needless to say, I’m getting way ahead here. One game at a time.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I wouldn’t be looking at collective punishment at this stage, but would definitely be issuing strike 1 of 3 with the hope that’s the end of the matter.

I would also be saying that the social media stuff needs to be toned down.

Unless there’s *evidence* then I wouldn’t do anything of the sort. It’s too easy a get out to punish the young noisy crowd, and it’d be counterproductive. I know for a fact that the boys who put the effort into getting the ultras going were on a bus immediately after the game. That’s not to say some of the hangers-on didn’t involve themselves, but it isn't a membership organisation. There’s been so much sanctimony and it’s pretty grating. 

42 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So in the space of a week, McCann isn’t good enough for the Championship if we get promoted because he’s short and we are fucked if we go up because we had an off night against TNS.

Give me strength.

That’s not what I said. I said teams target his height and it’s not as exposed at present as we tend to do less defending in our league than would be the case in the league above. I think it’s a very valid point considering Airdrie attacked him in every single game last year and had multiple success at doing so.

7 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Unless there’s *evidence* then I wouldn’t do anything of the sort. It’s too easy a get out to punish the young noisy crowd, and it’d be counterproductive. I know for a fact that the boys who put the effort into getting the ultras going were on a bus immediately after the game. That’s not to say some of the hangers-on didn’t involve themselves, but it isn't a membership organisation. There’s been so much sanctimony and it’s pretty grating. 

100% agree. 

16 minutes ago, StuartA said:

I agree with this. Especially now that it seems to be that St Mirren and Sheffield fans were involved. 

The only thing I'm not a fan of from whoever is running the ultras social media is the graffiti. Maybe poor timing but it does add to the perception of hooliganism which by all accounts is not at all the case of the main organisers. If the perception starts going down that route it pushes the club into a difficult situation because they can't be supporting a group of kids spreading tags around the place as well as getting into fights. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

I agree with this. Especially now that it seems to be that St Mirren and Sheffield fans were involved. 

The only thing I'm not a fan of from whoever is running the ultras social media is the graffiti. Maybe poor timing but it does add to the perception of hooliganism which by all accounts is not at all the case of the main organisers. If the perception starts going down that route it pushes the club into a difficult situation because they can't be supporting a group of kids spreading tags around the place as well as getting into fights. 

There are posts on the ultras’ instagram page hinting at some sort of link with St Mirren ultras.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Agree with that, though the fact is that they’ve been quite successful in building a brand and making a few grand from merchandise, which has paid for displays and sponsored the club. I suppose you can’t hold the organisers responsible for that anymore than you could hold the club responsible for me scoring the steeple into a dozen school desks in the 1980s*

*and a desk in Downing Street in the 1990s. 

8 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Agree with that, though the fact is that they’ve been quite successful in building a brand and making a few grand from merchandise, which has paid for displays and sponsored the club. I suppose you can’t hold the organisers responsible for that anymore than you could hold the club responsible for me scoring the steeple into a dozen school desks in the 1980s*

I mainly mean posting it to their social media and endorsing it. Graffiti is inevitable to some extent and its not surprising the brand is used for that but I don't think they should be semi-officially endorsing it online. Not a great look. 

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

There are posts on the ultras’ instagram page hinting at some sort of link with St Mirren ultras.

I've seen it on twitter/x as well. Don't understand it at all. And the risk of something like Saturday increases when you have groups like that coming to our stadium who have no real emotional connection to the place. Much easier to get carried away when you don't really care about damage or fines.

16 minutes ago, StuartA said:

There is a difference between publicising it though. Also if it is fans from other clubs then they shouldn’t be welcomed back. 

The guys running it have done a great job but if incidents like Saturday continue then they’ve leave the club with little option. Be ashame for some idiots to undo everything the organisers have achieved so far. 

Edited by Dave Mc

3 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

There is a difference between publicising it though. Also if it is fans from other clubs then they shouldn’t be welcomed back. 

The guys running it have done a great job but if incidents like Saturday continue the club then it could undo everything they’ve achieved so far. 

No Dave, it isn’t and I think it’s out of order to scapegoat like this. Individuals caused this and individuals should be held accountable on the basis of evidence. It’s intellectually lazy to just try and blame a group because they’re prominent. 

16 minutes ago, Dave Mc said:

The guys running it have done a great job but if incidents like Saturday continue then they’ve leave the club with little option. Be ashame for some idiots to undo everything the organisers have achieved so far. 

I bet they are responsible for leaving loads of rubbish in KM stand too and for terribly bad language