The Falkirk FC Thread

Sounds like I am in the minority here but not on board with a two year extension. Recruitment has been great but still not convinced he is a long term solution. Too limited as a manager which has shown up recently. 

I think it’s very unlikely to happen but what happens if we don’t go up. 😂

Just now, ChoppeReid said:

Sounds like I am in the minority here but not on board with a two year extension. Recruitment has been great but still not convinced he is a long term solution. Too limited as a manager which has shown up recently. 

Who would you replace him with?

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Who would you replace him with?

I think if we went up I would give him a year extension ideally. Although that’s probably not an option. 

No idea who would replace him. And obviously our record of appointing managers is abysmal. 

My worry is just that even if we go up does he have the skills to take us further?

Not saying there is a good solution. 

I would have preferred if we had held back the announcement until after the Accies game next Saturday. I think a year extension would have been fine with a further option of him becoming DOF, provided we get promoted this season.

I think if we went up I would give him a year extension ideally. Although that’s probably not an option. 

No idea who would replace him. And obviously our record of appointing managers is abysmal. 

My worry is just that even if we go up does he have the skills to take us further?

Aye, I've said before that I'm unsure if he would be able to have us challenging in the Championship, but I think his recruitment may have changed my mind. These players, when on their game, are more than a match for any team in the Championship at the moment IMO. I do think that he needs to develop a plan B a bit more though.

Only guessing of course, but I would imagine that he would be looking for two years as a minimum and, as folk have said, they really need to have him on board to be able to persuade players to extend.

All things considered, I'm happy with the news.

19 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

The extension for two years will give us protection if he was poached. If we wanted to tip him out he wouldn’t  be getting what was left on his contract - nothing like it. We will have learned from the arse Holt made of Sheerin I would suggest.  

Edited by BPM

Just now, BPM said:

The extension for two years will give us protection if he was poached. If we wanted to tip him out he would be getting what was left on his contract - nothing like it. We will have learned from the arse Holt made of Sheerin I would suggest.  

I don’t think it’s that big a deal to be honest. Even if goes tits up next year probably not that expensive to get out of. 

Might look a bit silly if we don’t go up this year but that is really unlikely. 

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I would have preferred if we had held back the announcement until after the Accies game next Saturday. I think a year extension would have been fine with a further option of him becoming DOF, provided we get promoted this season.

How do you know he would want to be a DOF? Having spoken to him a couple of times he certainly loves the coaching part of the job more than anything. Maybe DOF is not his bag? 

On balance the right thing to extend his contract.  Especially if it encourages more (lets be honest, Morrison) to sign too.  

I do think he's limited and I'm not convinced he'll be our manager in 2026 whether we go up or not but he's doing a good enough job right now to merit it.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

I don’t think it’s that big a deal to be honest. Even if goes tits up next year probably not that expensive to get out of. 

Might look a bit silly if we don’t go up this year but that is really unlikely. 

I get the risk 100%. Personally think the benefits far out way the risk. 

17 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

Shown up recently with an unbeaten league record, a narrow defeat on a cow field, and a 0-1 defeat against a team that has set a Guiness book of world record for longest unbeaten stretch? Superb! 

2 minutes ago, BPM said:

How do you know he would want to be a DOF? Having spoken to him a couple of times he certainly loves the coaching part of the job more than anything. Maybe DOF is not his bag? 

Granted, based purely on his recruitment this season.

2 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Granted, based purely on his recruitment this season.

For sure he can spot a player and I get your reasoning reasoning for that suggestion. 

Every decision is a risk, but if you don’t take a decision when you’re riding high, when would you? I’d say it’d be a bigger risk not to show confidence in them now. Imagine the impact on their morale and that of the players he’s trying to tie up. We’ve had so much uncertainty and turnover for years, this feels like the right decision at the right time. 

4 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Every decision is a risk, but if you don’t take a decision when you’re riding high, when would you? I’d say it’d be a bigger risk not to show confidence in them now. Imagine the impact on their morale and that of the players he’s trying to tie up. We’ve had so much uncertainty and turnover for years, this feels like the right decision at the right time. 

Beat me to it!