The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres no reason to think that as much as say, Coll and Finn have shown great development as part of a more solid defence (and the help of Berra coaching, is he still helping?) Mackie hasn't also been improving. Just less visible with less game time but the signs were good when he partnered Hendo towards the end. 

Berra is away in America now.

Said before I was on the fence with Mackie and wouldn’t be fussed either way if he left but I’m happy enough with that announcement. 

I still feel we need another centre half in to add cover but I understand the budget might not stretch that far. 

Happy with Sackie extending. Was crucial cover in the final weeks of last season, versatile for CB and RB, and covers the ground well. I’d like to see Tait and Ross signing too, with a possible Stone loan covering the GK area.

44 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If we assume we're trying to re-sign Tait & Ross and Allan moves on, then it would just be a goalkeeper and a striker we'd need to add to the squad imo. Harry Stone obviously already muted as a loan target. I'd be happy enough with the below, the strikers going to be pinnacle to our success next season as games are much finer margins in the championship so we can't afford to miss some of the opportunities we did last season.

For years I complained about our use of the loan market, McGlynn's been phenominal on that front and at this level it really allows you to bring in higher quality players. Alegria, Kennedy, Kucheriavyi, Tait, Ross.

Goalkeeper

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Nicky Hogarth June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Harry Stone*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Owen Hayward (A) June 2025

Defenders

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Keelan Adams June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Finn Yeats June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Coll Donaldson June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Tom Lang June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Sean Mackie June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Leon Mccann June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Logan Sinclair (A) June 2025

Midfielders

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Brad Spencer June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Liam Henderson June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Dylan Tait*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ethan Ross*

🇬🇭Alfredo Agyeman June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Calvin Miller June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Callumn Morrison June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Gary Oliver June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Aidan Nesbitt June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Michael Mckenna June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Scott Honeyman (A) June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Rhys Walker (A) June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Caelan Mccrone (A) June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Flynn Mccafferty (A) June 2026

Strikers

Starting ST*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ross MacIver June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ryan Shanley June 2025

I'm very much hoping MacIver is given the chance to be our starting striker next season, he's a huge part to how this team plays and has just had a great season, it would be very harsh for him not to start as the main centre forward next season IMO.

On 13/05/2024 at 12:50, gav-ffc said:

I feel like if Mackie has resigned it would have been announced by now but I may be wrong.

ITK as ever. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

If we assume we're trying to re-sign Tait & Ross and Allan moves on, then it would just be a goalkeeper and a striker we'd need to add to the squad imo. Harry Stone obviously already muted as a loan target. I'd be happy enough with the below, the strikers going to be pinnacle to our success next season as games are much finer margins in the championship so we can't afford to miss some of the opportunities we did last season.

For years I complained about our use of the loan market, McGlynn's been phenominal on that front and at this level it really allows you to bring in higher quality players. Alegria, Kennedy, Kucheriavyi, Tait, Ross.

Goalkeeper

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Nicky Hogarth June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Harry Stone*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Owen Hayward (A) June 2025

Defenders

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Keelan Adams June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Finn Yeats June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Coll Donaldson June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Tom Lang June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Sean Mackie June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Leon Mccann June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Logan Sinclair (A) June 2025

Midfielders

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Brad Spencer June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Liam Henderson June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Dylan Tait*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ethan Ross*

🇬🇭Alfredo Agyeman June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Calvin Miller June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Callumn Morrison June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Gary Oliver June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Aidan Nesbitt June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Michael Mckenna June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Scott Honeyman (A) June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Rhys Walker (A) June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Caelan Mccrone (A) June 2026

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Flynn Mccafferty (A) June 2026

Strikers

Starting ST*

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ross MacIver June 2025

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Ryan Shanley June 2025

Shaping up very nicely indeed imo. Pleased with Mackie extending. 

It wouldn't surprise me if MacIver is our starting striker next year though, as I reckon any new signing will be of a similar quality at best. McGlynn will have seriously pulled a rabbit out of the hat if he can find someone with the physicality and goal return of the likes of Brian Graham and Dipo Akinyemi. Really good strikers are the hardest position to find but could easily be the difference between us finishing 4th/5th and mounting a serious title challenge.

With so many positions already sorted out maybe the management team will have more time to focus on getting the right player in so we can do exactly that. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

22 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

I'm very much hoping MacIver is given the chance to be our starting striker next season, he's a huge part to how this team plays and has just had a great season, it would be very harsh for him not to start as the main centre forward next season IMO.

Don’t disagree with Maciver’s importance, but I would like another striker to compete with him/offer cover.

I wouldn’t want to be relying on Shanley or Oliver for extended periods.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

He did have a good season and I think he will start next season as our starting striker. But I do also agree with others that I think we should be looking to bring someone in who can compete with him/possibly displace him if needs be. Striker was arguably the only place we didn't have really strong competition for places last season - Allan wasn't a patch on him and while I think Shanley was a far better option than Allan, I don't think any of us at any point seriously thought he was going to displace MacIver. If he was to get injured or not do as well as we would hope a level above, I think we need another Championship level option there.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

He did have a good season and I think he will start next season as our starting striker. But I do also agree with others that I think we should be looking to bring someone in who can compete with him/possibly displace him if needs be. Striker was arguably the only place we didn't have really strong competition for places last season - Allan wasn't a patch on him and while I think Shanley was a far better option than Allan, I don't think any of us at any point seriously thought he was going to displace MacIver. If he was to get injured or not do as well as we would hope a level above, I think we need another Championship level option there.

All for giving him competition but anyone coming in has to wait their turn, Ross has earned the right to start the season as the main striker

34 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

All for giving him competition but anyone coming in has to wait their turn, Ross has earned the right to start the season as the main striker

100% this. Ross starts. Someone is brought in as competition but does not walk in ahead of him. 

I think the way we play means we don’t need a Brian Graham style of striker. We have goals all over our front players and for me Ross McIver links the play up great for us. He has to be given his chance as starting striker for me.

I think it’s why it’s difficult to judge at this moment, with it only being May too. McGlynn made the point that Calvin Miller wasn’t initially on his radar and he only jumped when he became unexpectedly available. I’m sure McGlynn has set targets in mind, but you never know who might pop up in the next couple of months who he might jump at who would get into the starting XI - in any position.

Miller was ready to sign another contract at Morton, until Spencer stepped in and got a word in his ear to sign for us. McGlynn said it was a complicated one as didn't think we'd get him can only assume it's come down to money. Given that Ayr have if the tabloids are to be believed doubled the offer to Oakley that Morton made him, Livi will have thrown a bit of cash at Muirhead, you do wonder if we might get gazumped wages wise for some players in the championship. If Tait signs you'd have to think he'll be highest earner. 

It was down to money with Miller. He supposedly went back to Morten who were trying to extend his contract and asked them to match what we were offering. They couldn't afford to and the rest is history. Can't wait for him to rinse past their dumpling right back next season 

2 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Yeah tbf when I’m thinking of squad numbers I’m just kind of assuming Allan will be away.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Clyde now that McCall has signed a new contract. You'd assume he'll be interested given Allan's goal contribution in helping them stay up. 

50 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I think it’s why it’s difficult to judge at this moment, with it only being May too. McGlynn made the point that Calvin Miller wasn’t initially on his radar and he only jumped when he became unexpectedly available. I’m sure McGlynn has set targets in mind, but you never know who might pop up in the next couple of months who he might jump at who would get into the starting XI - in any position.

Exactly. I'd be amazed if the manager, and indeed the club as a whole, were not  adopting a far, far more flexible and fluid approach to the transfer window than this utterly rigid, we've got x amount of players in the squad so only need to add y, or we should not sign a striker as MacIver is our undisputed starting No 9 type theories that seem to be getting espoused on here. 

We're coming off the back of an excellent, very probably unique season. We've the guts of a squad that should be able to more than hold their own at Championship level. But there is absolutely no dispute that we will be facing a far better quality of opponent than the - let's not sugar coat it - utter dross we were facing on a pretty regular basis this season, with the exception of perhaps Hamilton and c couple of others. If better, more proven Championship quality is available, affordable and interested in coming to TFS, - and on all three counts, it should be - we should be doing all we can to bring it in. If that means someone who was a regular starter becoming more of a backup, or even just having more competition for their place, I'm struggling to see a downside. That should be the aim every transfer window, all the more so when you are moving up a level.