The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

We have also managed to get to three Scottish cup finals in the space of just over 20 years so it’s not beyond realms of possibility we might be there again. A simple look at the attendances across the Scottish cup games verses the challenge cup games will show bairns fans aren’t the only ones who don’t take the tournament quite as seriously as the other two trophies. 

I mean, yeah. But you don't have to go as deep as that. The match thread, the FD podcast with Telfer. Social media. Riddled with Stenny fans telling us they just weren't arsed, and now breathlessly telling us that we're all utterly raging to have gone out 🤷‍♂️

I used to really like the Challenge Cup. As it is, I don't hate it, but I absolutely hate the inclusion of B teams and would never dream of attending a match including one. Even if it were Falkirk versus one in the final, I wouldn't be prepared to hold my nose. Myself and I'd bet the large majority of Falkirk on here will have been pretty consistent on a similar position over the years. And also like you say, plenty other fanbases too. 

I went yesterday because of the novelty factor, and because I genuinely believe this Falkirk team don't deserve to see the support from the terraces dip. I'm willing to go slightly.firther than I would have in the past because of the clear connection between team and fans we currently enjoy.  But that's the extent of it. 

14 hours ago, Super Simon said:

Genuine question, based on what? McKenna stated in an interview to the FH in July that his position is "in behind the main striker", meaning he's effectively in direct competition with Nesbitt and Oliver (and very much a distant third in that particular queue). I've seen precious little of anything from him to date, and certainly nothing whatsoever to suggest he is capable of filling in for MacIver. Someone on here earlier defended him on the basis that he is "not hopeless", personally I was looking for a hell of a lot more from him than that, literally the lowest of low bars. Underwhelming in the extreme. I would not be adverse to seeing Agyeman played through the middle but there has never been the slightest sign that the management team are inclined to try him there. 

We've made an excellent start to the season, I think the platform for a serious promotion challenge is there, but the lack of squad depth is going to hinder us at some point. We are still relying on the same core group week after week after week, especially when we appear to be going into every game three or players down. Today was the perfect occasion for the likes of McKenna and Shanley to show what they have to offer, neither came close to grasping that opportunity. We need, as an absolute minimum, another valid frontline option, Gabby McGill was a name I had thought about, he impressed for Airdrie against us once or twice. Was being linked with some Championship clubs in the summer but still seems to be a free agent, although his preference may be for a club down south. Based on the transfer market so far, I'll be amazed if we are even looking to bring anyone in unfortunately. 

Team have made a good start and we have not had many of them over the year's so enjoy it.

We will have a better idea where we stand after Q1 and we have played everybody once. Loss of form, suspensions, injuries will come into play as the season goes on.

Still think it will be a tight league with about 12 points between play off positions for promotion - relegation.

Hopefully McGlynn can charm his pal Rodgers for a CH and CF after the cup tie. 

Did Mcglynn not say he would only bring in players if someone exceptional became available? Maybe I’ve picked it up wrong but I’m sure I read him saying something along the lines of that although beating Hearts has allowed him more budget to spend he wasn’t actually looking to bring anybody in this window but would look again come January. 

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Did Mcglynn not say he would only bring in players if someone exceptional became available? Maybe I’ve picked it up wrong but I’m sure I read him saying something along the lines of that although beating Hearts has allowed him more budget to spend he wasn’t actually looking to bring anybody in this window but would look again come January. 

Nothing is more certain in the mid season window than some in some out and will apply to all clubs. There is also the factor of a team coming in with a casher for the likes of Adams, Morrison, Tait.

It's going to be interesting

4 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Having watched the highlights, Hendo has badly timed a shoulder barge and the height mismatch has did for him. No complaints really.

Nicky also very unlucky not to get a hand to one or two of Stenny's penalties in the shoot-out. Onto next week!

Nope. As much as I’m a fan of Hendo he knew what he was doing. It came after Aitken was full of backchat seconds before. I was about 5 feet away from the incident.

For the Stenny penalty, again as much as we all want to feel a bit hard done by I can’t see anything other than a mistimed dive from Hogarth in which he catches the man. However that was consider ably further away.

We were definitely unlucky yesterday but I’m not blaming it on the ref…..

Edited by roman_bairn

10 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Nope. As much as I’m a fan of Hendo he knew what he was doing. It came after Aitken was full of backchat seconds before. I was about 5 feet away from the incident.

For the Stenny penalty, again as much as we all want to feel a bit hard done by I can’t see anything other than a mistimed dive from Hogarth in which he catches the man. However that was consider ably further away.

The penalty was right in front of us.  It was a dive.

3 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

The penalty was right in front of us.  It was a dive.

Won’t argue that one as I was further away but struggling to see that on the highlights.

Point is that when you are really close you get a real sense of the intent you don’t get when far away or watching on tv…..

Edited by roman_bairn

I didn't go to the game as I thought £20 was a rip off and the novelty of a rarely played 'derby' didn't really appeal as I'd been at the League Cup game a month or so before. Of the 15 or so guys I speak to/go to games with, I think one or two went yesterday as they thought much the same.

I don't think anyone I know hates Falkirk. Beating them feels a bit sweeter than beating a similar sized Championship club due to the proximity but that's about it.

7 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I didn't go to the game as I thought £20 was a rip off and the novelty of a rarely played 'derby' didn't really appeal as I'd been at the League Cup game a month or so before. Of the 15 or so guys I speak to/go to games with, I think one or two went yesterday as they thought much the same.

I don't think anyone I know hates Falkirk. Beating them feels a bit sweeter than beating a similar sized Championship club due to the proximity but that's about it.

15? Your having a laugh 

42 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I'd be intrested to see the pictures leading up to this one. Doesn't look like the elbow is anywhere near his face which he went down holding. This is a screen shot taken from Stenny's match highlights. They show a few but all after the event. 

Screenshot_20240908_114635_YouTube.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Regardless of what Aitken is holding, that's a pretty damning image for Hendo

I don't think so. To me he he is making himself big protecting the ball to let it go out. But need to see the ones leading up to it. 

1 minute ago, Double t said:

I don't think so. To me he he is making himself big protecting the ball to let it go out. But need to see the ones leading up to it. 

Agreed.  Aitken is half way to the ground already.  Look where his knees are.

1 minute ago, Double t said:

Said already I didn't see it at the game, but if he has ran in at pace and caught Aitken where that image shows with any force at all, he's in big trouble. That picture indicates to me he has made no attempt to play the ball and f**ked his elbow into someone's throat. I want an opponent sent off if that happens to one one of our players 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Said already I didn't see it at the game, but if he has ran in at pace and caught Aitken where that image shows with any force at all, he's in big trouble. That picture indicates to me he has made no attempt to play the ball and f**ked his elbow into someone's throat. I want an opponent sent off if that happens to one one of our players 

He hasn’t ran in at pace.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

It doesn't show any force at all. All ot shows is where his elbow connects with the other player. The lead up pictures would give a better idea if he has thrown an arm out or if his arms where already out and Aitken has made the most of it. From what I mind the ref was a long way away so no idea how he could know what force was used. I saw one of the photographers saying the lino, who was right next to it, was saying it should be a yellow. 

If I'm being honest, as long as he's only suspended for challenge cup I'm not that arsed. Aitken is a cheating c**t and an elbow to the throat is good enough for him. The image doesnt look good though. I need to watch the highlights again 

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Absolutely correct. In actual fact, he actually left his elbow out for Aitken to connect with so he knew what he was doing.

I really don’t want to criticise Hendo but we have loads on here trying to find a defence for him which simply isn’t there.

After the red card did we see any mass protests from Falkirk players? Nope. That should tell you what you need to know…..

Edited by roman_bairn

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Absolutely correct. In actual fact, he actually left his elbow out for Aitken to connect with so he knew what he was doing.

I really don’t want to criticise Hendo but we have loads on here trying to find a defence for him which simply isn’t there.

After the red card did we see any mass protests from Falkirk players? Nope. That should tell you what you need to know…..

With the way the rules are now, only the captain allowed to speak tot he ref, mass protests just get more cards so you may find the team have been told to keep quiet and just get in with it. Also as I keep telling my sons team mass protests won't change the refs decision so absolutely no point in them.