The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

We've signed Bob McHugh from you guys on a two year deal. Good signing? 

10 straight league starts at the start of the season zero goals, 14 league starts overall 1 goal from starting

21 sub league appearances 2 goals, both against St Mirren

I cant see why we didnt re-sign him 

25 minutes ago, bairnabeau said:

Would have offered McHugh a contract over Baird but I'd wager he didn't want to play super-sub anymore at us. Good signing for anyone in this division imo

I'm bored with out lack of transfer news, and I'm desperately trying to convince myself that we might be able to tempt Baird to the Rock with the prospect of guaranteed first team football. 

Am I wasting my time getting my hopes up?

Think that is a myth

He either introduced or developed the following players who brought in a fortune for Dundee Utd

Goodwillie
Gauld
Allen
Armstrong
Ryan Dow
Jonny Russell

Tell me one in our set up outside Gallacher that we have who is going to make the step up and make a huge difference?

We are just not producing a Kingsley, Sibbald, Fulton or a McGrandles at the moment. Go speak to the guys involved at the academy they will tell you that.

Certainly not a myth. To claim Houston introduced these players is stretching it to be honest. He was forced to play those you list because the board at United had decided no more could be spent on signings. He did so under protest despite being told by his coaches that there were gems there. This refusal was to be the beginning of the end for him there. To say he was responsible for the development is absolute garbage. Hard to develop players when you are rarely on the training ground because you are in the huff that the club took away your fuel card. Many United fans will say if anything, Houston stifled and hindered progress, a cup win masked many issues there.

I should add that I'm not arguing that any of our players are at the level of some of the players you mention and I'm also not saying that they will make a 'huge' difference but I question would they be any worse than what we gave or what history tells we are likely to bring in? Would O'Hara score or contribute more than Bob or Baird did last season? I'm not suggesting 5 or 6 to be immediately airlifted in but 1 or 2, maybe even 3 would be nice.

I have read several times on here & twitter that our coaches have apparently said that the players are not there or are not ready! If that is true, then why not? And if true, then why has Houston not done a thing about it?

Players like Kingsley, McGrandles, Fulton, Alston, Wallace and Sibbald all became the players they are now because the were given meaningful game time. All looked raw at first but all flourished only when they had competitive games under their belts.

You're having a laugh if you think our young players are anywhere near as good as Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Russell, Goodwillie etc were when they broke through.

Not suggested that at all. Just arguing that Houston's ability to spot potential talent from within a clubs Academy is patchy at best. So wasn't having a laugh.

Certainly not a myth. To claim Houston introduced these players is stretching it to be honest. He was forced to play those you list because the board at United had decided no more could be spent on signings. He did so under protest despite being told by his coaches that there were gems there. This refusal was to be the beginning of the end for him there. To say he was responsible for the development is absolute garbage. Hard to develop players when you are rarely on the training ground because you are in the huff that the club took away your fuel card. Many United fans will say if anything, Houston stifled and hindered progress, a cup win masked many issues there.

I should add that I'm not arguing that any of our players are at the level of some of the players you mention and I'm also not saying that they will make a 'huge' difference but I question would they be any worse than what we gave or what history tells we are likely to bring in? Would O'Hara score or contribute more than Bob or Baird did last season? I'm not suggesting 5 or 6 to be immediately airlifted in but 1 or 2, maybe even 3 would be nice.

I have read several times on here & twitter that our coaches have apparently said that the players are not there or are not ready! If that is true, then why not? And if true, then why has Houston not done a thing about it?

Players like Kingsley, McGrandles, Fulton, Alston, Wallace and Sibbald all became the players they are now because the were given meaningful game time. All looked raw at first but all flourished only when they had competitive games under their belts.

No matter how many times our fans ramble on about getting our young players into the team it is not going to happen. Not because Houston doesn't want to but because the quality is not nearly as good as it was a few years ago.

If the club board believe he is blocking development get him told or get shot of him.

Houston was like Pressley was he then? Forced to play them before they were ready? So when they are in the team the manager and coaches get no credit for developing them?

Not suggested that at all. Just arguing that Houston's ability to spot potential talent from within a clubs Academy is patchy at best. So wasn't having a laugh.

He has just signed 6 from the Academy? How many more Jersey fillers do you want him to sign?

I'm bored with out lack of transfer news, and I'm desperately trying to convince myself that we might be able to tempt Baird to the Rock with the prospect of guaranteed first team football. 
Am I wasting my time getting my hopes up?

Baird would do a cracking job at Dumbarton and if there was a coaching role thrown into the mix then it's a no brainer for him imo. I'm not wholly sure how others view it but if Baird was going to stay at Falkirk something would have been sorted by now surely?

Baird would do a cracking job at Dumbarton and if there was a coaching role thrown into the mix then it's a no brainer for him imo. I'm not wholly sure how others view it but if Baird was going to stay at Falkirk something would have been sorted by now surely?

Nah they're waiting to parade him about for the next season ticket promotion.

8 minutes ago, bairnabeau said:

Unfortunately, with us being forced to scrap our youth teams under 'Project Brave' that'll be something we couldn't offer him. He's a player I've always been a huge fan of, and he'd fit in pretty well to our team I reckon. Realistically Falkirk will need better than him (and McHugh) if they're going to get in the Premiership, and with other clubs starting to build squads, I'm threatening to start getting hopeful that a deal might be possible. 

We got lucky a few years back when we managed to bring through a glut of good players . That is never the norm although some seem to think it is. Normally your lucky to get one a year if that and that will be Gallacher this season if he's still about.  It's up to the likes of shepherd and o'hara to take their chances when they get them. If u ask me Houston has shown great patience with shepherd who has so far failed to take a number of chances he's had to impress.

We got lucky a few years back when we managed to bring through a glut of good players . That is never the norm although some seem to think it is. Normally your lucky to get one a year if that and that will be Gallacher this season if he's still about.  It's up to the likes of shepherd and o'hara to take their chances when they get them. If u ask me Houston has shown great patience with shepherd who has so far failed to take a number of chances he's had to impress.

Not sure it was luck. We were in the Premier League, had our own Academy and able to attract a better standard. It is actually another reason to get up.

Kingsley was honking when he first started paying first team football. He was only playing because Pressley had no other option. Now he plays in the English premier league and is an international. Would never have thought that would happen when I first seen him. 

Our Betfred Cup group is ICT, Brechin, Stirling Albion and Forfar. Pretty meh IMO. We'll play two of those in the league this season and had Albion last year. Decent chance of progression this time though.

Edited by lanky_ffc