The Falkirk FC Thread

Our prize money has gone up by about 300k the past few seasons has it not the same as one decent sale. I'd be surprised if anyone will pay that up front for Gallacher either until hes proven himself in the first team.a bit more.

Already turned down 300k from stoke

We got 300k+ for Blair and Botti and they had hardly played

I think their kidding themselves if they think they'll get more this window. He needs to spend some time in the first team to get some real money.

But the 300k will still be there for them to take if they are desperate, and they will be.

He has a year left on his contract. They have to sell someone. I don't like it any more than you but they run the club

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Already turned down 300k from stoke

We got 300k+ for Blair and Botti and they had hardly played

Aye for the two of them together maybe.

It just shows how much of a shambles we are that we've let our supposedly most promising youngsters contract run down to a year. Ok We'll get compo but we have zero control over that. Clubs like Hamilton are so much better at managing their young talent coming through.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I agree that we need a proper RWB/RB in, i'm just sceptical based on previous recruitment drives. I think it's more likely he'll invest in an experienced left back & another centre half to replace McCracken.

Unless Grant is sold, I cant see us adding to the centre halves we have, we went with the three/four minus McCracken from January or so onwards. 

Finlayson surely must be thereabouts for first team at the age of 19 if he is as highly rated as suggested, the word going about a day after our season ended was that more of the development team to feature this coming season.

Unless Grant is sold, I cant see us adding to the centre halves we have, we went with the three/four minus McCracken from January or so onwards. 
Finlayson surely must be thereabouts for first team at the age of 19 if he is as highly rated as suggested, the word going about a day after our season ended was that more of the development team to feature this coming season.

First person I have heard saying Finlayson is highly rated TBH

Aye for the two of them together maybe.
It just shows how much of a shambles we are that we've let our supposedly most promising youngsters contract run down to a year. Ok We'll get compo but we have zero control over that. Clubs like Hamilton are so much better at managing their young talent coming through.

Maybe Hamilton have a better quality?

Who is the last player to break through and become a first team regular? McGrandles?

It is either we don't have the quality or the Manager refuses to play them. I would suggest it is more likely to be the former.

Who is the last player to break through and become a first team regular? McGrandles?

It is either we don't have the quality or the Manager refuses to play them. I would suggest it is more likely to be the former.

The same manager that when at Dundee United was convinced that they had any youngsters that were good enough to make it in the first team!

The same manager that when at Dundee United was convinced that they had any youngsters that were good enough to make it in the first team!

Think that is a myth

He either introduced or developed the following players who brought in a fortune for Dundee Utd

Goodwillie
Gauld
Allen
Armstrong
Ryan Dow
Jonny Russell

Tell me one in our set up outside Gallacher that we have who is going to make the step up and make a huge difference?

We are just not producing a Kingsley, Sibbald, Fulton or a McGrandles at the moment. Go speak to the guys involved at the academy they will tell you that.

53 minutes ago, Trump said:

You're having a laugh if you think our young players are anywhere near as good as Gauld, Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Russell, Goodwillie etc were when they broke through.

Anybody that thinks Falkirk will churn out decent youth player's season after season are deluded, we've had a few but no more than other academies. 

Falkirk football club would no doubt welcome a few lads that they can sell on every season.

Falkirk football club need to concentrate on signing player's to get out of the championship first and foremost.

If any youth player's show potential give them half a season in the top junior league,  they would learn more in that six months than they ever will playing youth football and come back better for it. 

Think that is a myth

He either introduced or developed the following players who brought in a fortune for Dundee Utd

Goodwillie
Gauld
Allen
Armstrong
Ryan Dow
Jonny Russell

Tell me one in our set up outside Gallacher that we have who is going to make the step up and make a huge difference?

We are just not producing a Kingsley, Sibbald, Fulton or a McGrandles at the moment. Go speak to the guys involved at the academy they will tell you that.

Sorry but from a United perspective he didn't play a major role in the development of the players you have listed. Both Cathro and Stevie Campbell were the ones who developed the majority of our real star youngsters and in fact Houston, some would argue, held back on giving more game time to Armstrong, Russell and Allen in particular.

I can't comment on the quality of Falkirk's youth players but I don't think Houston is the ideal person to be nurturing young talent.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Whatever the quality Hamilton don't let their contracts run down so that they have absolutely no bargaining power when it comes to selling them. Do you think Wigan would've paid 1.7 mill for Mccarthy if he'd only had a year left on his contract? To let Gallachers contract get down to one year is sheer incompetence in my opinion. I understand that as they get older its very difficult to get them on a long term deal like Sibbald but at least we've had 200 odd games out of him. Ally Crawford at Hamiltons last contract he signed was for 4 years . Now don't get me wrong he'll move  for nothing I'd think when that runs out but he's 25 so again they've had 200 odd games out of him. 

We have to remember that we've moved on virtually a whole generation of players in recent years. Kingsley, McGrandles, Blair, Biabi are all what 21/22. You only get a batch like that once in a blue moon. Most years your lucky if you get one. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

First person I have heard saying Finlayson is highly rated TBH

Scotland caps and another contract taking him till he is 20 suggests he is rated.

Its been mentioned plenty times that the our best prospects were both full backs.

Houstie hasn't really done anything in three seasons with our development squad, very short glimpses of Blair, O'Hara and Gallacher hasn't cut it for me. If Muirhead and Kidd put in displays of last season and Finlayson at the age of 19 isn't better than that, what is the point of our development squad ?

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whatever the quality Hamilton don't let their contracts run down so that they have absolutely no bargaining power when it comes to selling them. Do you think Wigan would've paid 1.7 mill for Mccarthy if he'd only had a year left on his contract? To let Gallachers contract get down to one year is sheer incompetence in my opinion. I understand that as they get older its very difficult to get them on a long term deal like Sibbald but at least we've had 200 odd games out of him. Ally Crawford at Hamiltons last contract he signed was for 4 years . Now don't get me wrong he'll move  for nothing I'd think when that runs out but he's 25 so again they've had 200 odd games out of him. 

We have to remember that we've moved on virtually a whole generation of players in recent years. Kingsley, McGrandles, Blair, Biabi are all what 21/22. You only get a batch like that once in a blue moon. Most years your lucky if you get one. 

Youth players get initial contracts of two years on graduation from FVFA and if they show anything during that time the club move quickly to tie them up for longer. It's entirely up to the parents & player as to whether they sign an extension and how long they'll commit for.

Gallacher is being monitored by some very big clubs in England. Under those circumstances, do you really think he'll accept something like a three year extension to stay with us?

There are players at Falkirk who have offers from the club to extend beyond next summer, when their current contracts expire. That's not my definition of "sheer incompetence". Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

In the meantime, you're blaming the club for something that is entirely outwith their control.

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

50 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Youth players get initial contracts of two years on graduation from FVFA and if they show anything during that time the club move quickly to tie them up for longer. It's entirely up to the parents & player as to whether they sign an extension and how long they'll commit for.

Gallacher is being monitored by some very big clubs in England. Under those circumstances, do you really think he'll accept something like a three year extension to stay with us?

There are players at Falkirk who have offers from the club to extend beyond next summer, when their current contracts expire. That's not my definition of "sheer incompetence". Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

In the meantime, you're blaming the club for something that is entirely outwith their control.

Of course he'll not accept a new deal now. Its far too late. If he's so promising why has it taken so long? Perhaps we should be asking how come teams like Hamilton can get their most promising players to sign 4 year deals  and yet we cant get ours to do it? Gallacher didn't suddenly become a promising player over night for christs sake.  You need to get these guys on long term contracts early doors before other clubs come sniffing about them.  The way they have dealt with the likes  of McCarthy, Mccarthur and Crawford shows you how we should be looking after our young players to get the best return. Whether that be from playing a couple of 100 games for the first team or getting the maximum sell on fee available.

We were getting clubs sniffing about Sibbald when he first came into the first team but we managed his situation perfectly and he's still here 8 years on. Yes he'll go for nothing probaby but I can put up with that for the 200 odd games he's played for us. How can we get him so right and make such an arse of the Gallacher situation?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Is sibbald ready for the premier league?

He has the skill but if he had pace to go with his skill he would be playing down South. IMO at present he is definitely good enough to be a regular starter for a bottom six Prem team and a good squad player for a top 6 side but other Falkirk fans will probably differ in opinion. I may be way off the mark. He has been a great servant and it will be a sad day when he eventually leaves. Maybe he will flourish more in a better team. At times his skill is different class for this league and many MOTM performances. Love the boy!

1 minute ago, RichieBairn said:

He has the skill but if he had pace to go with his skill he would be playing down South. IMO at present he is definitely good enough to be a regular starter for a bottom six Prem team and a good squad player for a top 6 side but other Falkirk fans will probably differ in opinion. I may be way off the mark. He has been a great servant and it will be a sad day when he eventually leaves. Maybe he will flourish more in a better team. At times his skill is different class for this league and many MOTM performances. Love the boy!

Problem is fitting him into your team to get the maximum out of him. We haven't done that for some reason. we may this season when he signs back on for a year but I doubt it.