The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, ChrispPancake said:

I'm going out on a limb. I liked Pressley, he had a raw deal with the budget being smashed and the mess the club was in after Yogi took us down. I'm ignoring that Disco pants was between Yogi and Pressley as Eddie clearly did not want the role and we lost a great coach in the process. Also consider that Pressley had no management experience and did he really do such a bad job? (Limb about to be sawn in half I fear)

and to be clear, Paul Sheerin was way worse than Pressley  bit in terms of THE WORST and considering his experience it had got to be the pigeon man John Lambie. He'd make PSG look like the Shire in 2 weeks

I didn’t like Elvis at the time but as time has passed and the more you hear what he had at his disposal and also how he was with the players (watch the FD episode with Tam McManus as an example) then he deserves more credit than he probably gets from Bairns in general. 

39 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Was Pressley not forced to use the academy in his first full season? A few crackers came out of that

Second full season. First was McManus, Stewart, O'Brien, Olejnik, McLean...

1 hour ago, ChrispPancake said:

I'm going out on a limb. I liked Pressley, he had a raw deal with the budget being smashed and the mess the club was in after Yogi took us down. I'm ignoring that Disco pants was between Yogi and Pressley as Eddie clearly did not want the role and we lost a great coach in the process. Also consider that Pressley had no management experience and did he really do such a bad job? (Limb about to be sawn in half I fear)

and to be clear, Paul Sheerin was way worse than Pressley  bit in terms of THE WORST and considering his experience it had got to be the pigeon man John Lambie. He'd make PSG look like the Shire in 2 weeks

Don't think it's fair to blame the relegation on Yogi, it's not his fault that no one at the club managed anything in the months after he left and then gave the job to May, who might not have wanted the job but he still took it and was terrible at it.

Pressleys biggest mistake was being arrogant when he got the job in press conferences declaring we would definitely stay up, but we did also win the challenge cup with him as manager and did ok in the championship considering the budget so he's better than every manager that followed him based on that alone until you get to McGlynn, with the exception of the best years under Huston which were generally enjoyable. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Don't think it's fair to blame the relegation on Yogi

My opinion on Yogi's tenure has slightly mellowed over the years but this is bollocks.

He took a squad that had finished 7th and jettisoned a team of young, hungry players in favour of one last big pay day for his mates - McNamara and McCann etc. - who were past it and no better than what we had.

We had the easiest possible run to a cup final which papered over his cracks, and stayed up at the last game of the season thanks to a lucky deflection from Michael Higdon's arse.

He walked because he knew he'd fucked us up.

Edited by Gaz

Also are people forgetting that we scored literally one goal in our five post-split fixtures under Pressley because we got a penalty after one of our players was punched in the face

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My opinion on Yogi's tenure has slightly mellowed over the years but this is bollocks.

He took a squad that had finished 7th and jettisoned a team of young, hungry players in favour of one last big pay day for his mates - McNamara and McCann etc. - who were past it and no better than what we had.

We had the easiest possible run to a cup final which papered over his cracks, and stayed up at the last game of the season thanks to a lucky deflection from Michael Higdon's arse.

Aye we were shite in that last season but there were plenty of players in that team that could have been retained and he's not totally to blame for the singing on the grey brigade, the board could have simply told him no.

We were shite under pressley at the end of the premier League season but let's be honest that team was hopeless and the damage had been done before the season started. He probably shouldn't have gotten the job but he certainly did better than a few of the jobbers that followed him, he at least kept us in the championship. 😆

1 minute ago, JulioBairn said:

Season ticket renewed and £60 straight into John McGlynn’s hip pocket. Spend it wisely ya big sexy devil. 

Harris Tweed bunnets all round next season

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

We only had one home game (against QOTS) and beat a very good Hearts team at Tynecastle.... Are you getting confused with the run to the league cup semi that season? 

Finishing 10th was about right given the budget, the cup runs and European qualification were a massive bonus.

He left for a bigger club but you know that. 

I’ve been going for a while now. Billy Little was the manager when I first went but I was only 4 at the time so the first manager I really remember was Totten.

John Lambie was the worst manager I remember by a mile. He was absolutely honking at his job as well as being an absolute arsehole of a man.

Getting a few messages asking about tickets for Saturday, pity we didn’t keep another section open as going by other sites, quite a few fans scrambling for tickets. Appreciate the club need to keep an allocated amount for away fans, couldn’t we have left another few hundred seats available?

Just now, Springfield said:

Getting a few messages asking about tickets for Saturday, pity we didn’t keep another section open as going by other sites, quite a few fans scrambling for tickets. Appreciate the club need to keep an allocated amount for away fans, couldn’t we have left another few hundred seats available?

If they buy a yellow and black scarf they could get in. Just saying like not suggesting or anything like that.

55 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The games been on sale since last year and sold out earlier today. I don’t think scrambling for tickets is a fair description.

Anyone who doesn’t have a ticket only has themself to blame.

59 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Are you stewarding the end of game pitch invasion?

I remember being in the home end at Brockville against the blue arse cheek and there was more of the away supporters than home