The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
Either way, it's money saved for Partick that could in theory anyway, be put into the playing squad.

We don’t have an academy so we therefore are on an equal footing now. No?

That is why I am not fingering Hartley as the only problem.

I am always hopefully but I am still to see any signs we have signed the quality promised throughout the summer. I hope I am wrong
I mean I can see how bad we have been, particularly and frustratingly in first halves.

I just dont think we can credit Hartley in any way for "the state of the club" since the only state he is currently responsible for is our continued presence in this league rather than the seaside.

That said, he is responsible for the squad we currently have, so if we f**k it this season, then stick Hartley on the list.

Guest Back Post Misses
I mean I can see how bad we have been, particularly and frustratingly in first halves.

I just dont think we can credit Hartley in any way for "the state of the club" since the only state he is currently responsible for is our continued presence in this league rather than the seaside.

That said, he is responsible for the squad we currently have, so if we f**k it this season, then stick Hartley on the list.

It is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong (be delighted) but unless we get 3/4 more in with more quality we are heading for relegation play offs. Hartley also needs to stop fucking about changing the team every 5 minutes.

8 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It is my opinion, and I hope I am wrong (be delighted) but unless we get 3/4 more in with more quality we are heading for relegation play offs. Hartley also needs to stop fucking about changing the team every 5 minutes.

Got to say I'm of the same opinion.

There's pretty much nothing going on up front as a result of dreadful recruitment in midfield. Irving appears good enough, although he was very quiet against the Sevcolts. TOE and Sammut look like kind of promising youngsters you'd bleed into a side doing well. I think they are shell-shocked by things so far. Paton might just be serviceable as a destroyer if there were others there to take the weight off him creatively and to help put up the shutters if, perish the thought, we had a lead going into the final stages of a game. There's just no-one to take the game by the scruff and drive us on. It's all very pedestrian and soul destroying to watch.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If Thistle can sign him then it's not outwith the realms of possibility that we could've signed him.

Are Thistle not struggling for numbers squad wise? Will be interesting to see if they add any more or if they've decided to spend the budget on one player. Risky strategy if so.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Calvin Miller signed a new contract and looking to go on loan. Young and hungry left back, looking to impress.

A realistic option for us or not ? Hartley must have some sort of relationship with Celtic ?? 

Presuming you're at the wind up?! They do have a promising RB in Anthony Ralston though...

53 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We don’t have an academy so we therefore are on an equal footing now. No?

Parachute payment might make a significant difference if they had adequate relegation clauses in pre-existing contracts. Given neither Ross Wilson nor George Craig are connected with Thistle, you would imagine those clauses are in place.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Was thinking earlier it has been very skilful how much our club has been fucked up in just over a year by the CEO, Chairwoman and Hartley

Not having a dig BPM, but you seem to change your mind about club staff quite often and attack them on a whim.

It wasn't that long ago you were praising the CEO, particularly about his openness when he was releasing his regular updates on the state of the club. Now you seem to have bracketed him along with the owners as a target for stick. Another example of this would be the Commercial Director. He was in your sights for several years and now his department are frequently praised online by yourself. 

What's changed?

I get your disillusionment with the manager. He seemed to do everything that many of us fans wanted, such as bringing in players from outwith Central Scotland, binning those who we didn't think were good enough and starting again from scratch. We had an exciting summer of new signings and suddenly they haven't hit the ground running and the flak is flying. Fair enough. PH is  judged on results and performances so at the moment any criticism of him is understandable.   

From where I sit though, all the other two have done is backed him to the hilt, including tightening the belt. You've previously highlighted a couple of internal issues which I think were caused by this but that's standard for any workplace. Nobody can keep everybody happy all the time. The academy decision was a biggie and affected so many people that I wouldn't criticise anyone who were against the CEO and Chair because of it.

Is that your only reason for having a go and if not what else have they done wrong in your eyes?

While I appreciate Hartley did a good job last season, the idea that he worked some sort of miracle is wide of the mark for me.

The squad that we had at the start of last season wasn't the best but it certainly shouldn't have been anywhere near 9th. And let's remember Hartley got absolutely nothing out of them.

Yes, the second half of the season was very good once Hartley brought in his own players. But we still only finished 8th at the end of the day. 

Were it not for Brechin, we would've been in the relegation playoffs.

Of course we should be thankful to Hartley for last season but it was really no better than any semi-competent manager would've done with the players initially available(who are now all at teams that finished above us)and the resources available at the club.

It certainly shouldn't and can't affect our judgment of his performance this season.

Edited by EdiBairn

While I appreciate Hartley did a good job last season, the idea that he worked some sort of miracle is wide of the mark for me.
The squad that we had at the start of last season wasn't the best but it certainly shouldn't have been anywhere near 9th. And let's remember Hartley got absolutely nothing out of them.
Yes, the second half of the season was very good once Hartley brought in his own players. But we still only finished 8th at the end of the day.
Of course we should be thankful to Hartley for last season but it was really no better than any semi-competent manager would've done with the players initially available(who are now all at teams that finished above us)and the resources available at the club.
It certainly shouldn't and can't affect our judgment of his performance this season.
There is no "only 8th" from the position we were in.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
28 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

There is no "only 8th" from the position we were in.

Except, when Hartley took over, on 4/10/17, we were sitting in, erm, 8th position.

26 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

As stated before he took over a team at about the same time and in a similar position as Jack Ross did the previous season. Ross was hailed a miracle worker by the media when he managed to avoid the playoffs on goal difference on the last day of the season. Hartley - from the same start point - took us 17 points clear of the playoffs.