The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, EdiBairn said:

Anton Rodgers being linked with us. Not sure more players from the conference south are what we need.

Surely him being dead for 10 years is probably a wee bit problematic. Still Fresh Fields and all that....

freshfields.jpg

I really think the defence minus Aero played well till Fasan gave the game away. Agree that it’s midfield that needs strength. They don’t have the ability to protect the defence and don’t have the skill to set up the forwards. Most of our attacks on Saturday were started by a good pass from defence and rarely was it set up from midfield. Paton is now just a too slow thug and the rest of midfield are lacking in guile.

53 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not one person is suggesting this.

I just love EdiBairn reducing the processes down to the two he has offered up.....you can have “what Hartley did”, or his utterly ludicrous Board interjection scenario as the only way a BoD could lever oversight. What utter dugshite.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I just love EdiBairn reducing the processes down to the two he has offered up.....you can have “what Hartley did”, or his utterly ludicrous Board interjection scenario as the only way a BoD could lever oversight. What utter dugshite.

A natural extension of what you've proposed is the board of directors stopping a manager from signing the players he wants even within budget, whether that's at their own discretion or a third party's. Very few managers at this level are going to accept that.

Edited by EdiBairn

30 minutes ago, drs said:

Surely him being dead for 10 years is probably a wee bit problematic. Still Fresh Fields and all that....

freshfields.jpg

I hear we are signing Richard Briers on a 2 year deal to play the enforcer alongside him. Happy days. James Bolam out on one wing, Rodney Bewes on the other. 

1 minute ago, DeeBairn said:

So would I, if you were docked 20 points, we may just manage to finish above you. 

Maybe

I don't want to turn this into an argument off "Our team is shitter than yours", but I fucking will. 

Fwiw if we're being serious for a second I don't think the points deductions are severe enough for going into administration, if you're not automatically getting relegated you should have a points total which absolutely fucks you, then a secondary points deduction the season after. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't want to turn this into an argument off "Our team is shitter than yours", but I fucking will. 

Fwiw if we're being serious for a second I don't think the points deductions are severe enough for going into administration, if you're not automatically getting relegated you should have a points total which absolutely fucks you, then a secondary points deduction the season after. 

There'd be no point. We're cleat more shit. At least so far. Easy days at this point, but the only thing on the horizon at the moment are more clouds. 

I'm sure there's a few countries around the world where they basically take whatever points you earn over the season away and you go down with 0. Though it's entirely possible I'm knackered and hallucinate that. Good fucking idea though. 

48 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

I hear we are signing Richard Briers on a 2 year deal to play the enforcer alongside him. Happy days. James Bolam out on one wing, Rodney Bewes on the other. 

Think we're just going round in ever decreasing circles here! Much prefer that we sign a couple of likely lads so that we can be living the good life again.

Their own discretion? Why would they have a third party yet still make calls at their own discretion. What you laid out wasn’t a natural extension at all of what I proposed. It was you taking it to a ridiculous place.

If you are going to undertake the sort of transformational project that Hartley put in place, then that is not normal practice. Given that it was an extraordinary situation, it really required a different approach. Dare I say it but even from a business standpoint, it must have been worthy of some sort of management of change process, and at the very least, a thorough risk analysis where the likelihood of this turning out as it has could have had some sort of mitigation in place.

The scale of change needed a football person representing the BoD to work with Hartley and ensure jointly that what was being undertaken was realistic and achievable and that any potential signings were properly vetted. I don’t know what the “at this level” is meant to signify.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He's just upset at ending up at Edinburgh City

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Given that Edinburgh City top League 2 and we are bottom of the Championship we could yet be meeting regularly next season. Be careful what you wish for.....

I have faith in McKinnon its the rest of the team i don't have much faith in, someone posted earlier team should be taken to the exhibit at Callendar House to see how much the club means to fans or even a fans forum with the team as they clearly dont see what the club means to a lot of us.  Trouble is there doesn't seem to be one of them that really gives a sh*te about the club.

18 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Their own discretion? Why would they have a third party yet still make calls at their own discretion. What you laid out wasn’t a natural extension at all of what I proposed. It was you taking it to a ridiculous place.

If you are going to undertake the sort of transformational project that Hartley put in place, then that is not normal practice. Given that it was an extraordinary situation, it really required a different approach. Dare I say it but even from a business standpoint, it must have been worthy of some sort of management of change process, and at the very least, a thorough risk analysis where the likelihood of this turning out as it has could have had some sort of mitigation in place.

The scale of change needed a football person representing the BoD to work with Hartley and ensure jointly that what was being undertaken was realistic and achievable and that any potential signings were properly vetted. I don’t know what the “at this level” is meant to signify.

You know Duncan, every time I read one of your posts I'm reminded of a business consultant who charges boards thousands for their services and comes up with waffle to justify it. 

Phrases like "transformational project", "management of change", and "risk analysis" have my eyelids drooping.

I don't agree with you. Edibairn doesn't agree with you.  From some of posts made by others, I don't think we're the only ones.

To me it's simple. The BOD hires the manager, sets the budget, and trusts him to spend it wisely.  If they don't trust him then they have him work with or under a Director Of Football - type person. Or better still, fire him and get someone in that they do trust. That's all there is to it.

Nothing you say will change my opinion on that. Just as nothing I say will change your opinion. That's cool. We're entitled to disagree. I respect your opinion, as I hope you respect mine.

I'd just like to hear it a little bit less. You've been banging on about "oversight" for weeks now and it's almost as tedious as Branchton and his compensation hobby-horse.

Gonna gie it a rest?  Let's just agree to disagree and move on eh?

57 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

What you really mean by someone "working with" Hartley on signings, whether that be a director, a director of football, a consultant or whoever, is that that person would effectively have a veto on those signings if they didn't feel they were the standard required. No manager at this level is going to work under such a system in a month of Sundays and nor should they.

You can't employ someone to lead the football aspect of operations but then say actually, you don't have control over arguably the most important part of that, which is transfers.

Edited by EdiBairn

5 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

What you really mean by someone "working with" Hartley on signings, whether that be a director, a director of football, a consultant or whoever, is that that person would effectively have a veto on those signings if they didn't feel they were the standard required. No manager at this level is going to work under such a system in a month of Sundays and nor should they.

You can't employ someone to lead the football aspect of operations but then say actually, you don't have control over arguably the most important part of that, which is transfers.

So, DoF don’t exist. Everywhere in the world, it’s the manager who has the first and only say in player selection. Yet more rubbish.

Read again what I said. What we did in the summer was near enough unprecedented. The outcome that our manager delivered was because there was no-one seeking assurances that what Hartley was doing was up to snuff. Can you grasp that premis? 

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So, DoF don’t exist. Everywhere in the world, it’s the manager who has the first and only say in player selection. Yet more rubbish.

Read again what I said. What we did in the summer was near enough unprecedented. The outcome that our manager delivered was because there was no-one seeking assurances that what Hartley was doing was up to snuff. Can you grasp that premis? 

Directors of football do exist, yes, but not many of these will actually be able to veto the manager's choice of signings within the budget provided as you're suggesting. Where this is the case, it tends to be a disaster. 

There will certainly be no manager at this level having their transfer targets vetoed.