The Falkirk FC Thread

9 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It was Peter Taylor that came up with the waifs and strays. Clough would come up the specification of the type of player he wanted and Taylor did the rest. He was also the foil for Cloughs genius and turning these under preforming players around Kenny Burns being a good example.

Stokes would have been a gamble for sure. If it worked great ! If it didn't then little outlay ! If anything it would be seen  as a flawed ex hero being given a chance of redemption that he blew.

Fair do's. My point wasn't about Stokes or Clough in particular it was the fact that Livingston don't care about reputations as long as they have ability. We've been goody two shoes for too long. 

2 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Fair do's. My point wasn't about Stokes or Clough in particular it was the fact that Livingston don't care about reputations as long as they have ability. We've been goody two shoes for too long. 

I thought Jeffries was great at signing players who had a bad reputation and making them significant FFC stalwarts.

Can't see M&M  having that particular skill this early in their career.

And please never sign a rapist.         

29 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I thought Jeffries was great at signing players who had a bad reputation and making them significant FFC stalwarts.

Majority did not have bad reputations but had suffered sticky spells after moving down South. McQueen, May, Taylor, Yogi all examples. He then picked up players from lower leagues of England who never fulfilled potential (Cadette).

All were good eggs and even Stainrod was not seen as a trouble maker - we got him due to his club not paying his wage per contract.

Even the higher profile signings like Johnston and MacAvennie didn’t have bad reputations as players or trainers.

Edited by Bglongmx

I’m happy to remember Stokes as an dynamic, enthusiastic goal machine who was brilliant in his short spell for us.

Sadly over the years he’s made a lot of stupid life choices and I wouldn’t want the current version anywhere near Falkirk.

He is now at a club that suits him perfectly surrounded by sex offenders and being coached by a drug dealer - what could possibly go wrong ??

47 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

The issue with Sammon is that from the minute he pulled on the jersey, his body language was shocking. Tied to a watertight two year deal most players would run 180mins for every Saturday, unless someone is prepared to match, sorry but it looks like we will see a player coming off the bench if lucky.

I really don't think it was a lack if effort from Sammon I just think his severe lack of ability meant he added absolutely nothing. The amount of times we played the ball into him upfront and he couldn't even hold it up. I also think the fact he's a big friendly giant hinders him as you won't see him using his build to rough defences up or even put himself about. In summary I think he tries but he's absolutely shite.

23 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I really don't think it was a lack if effort from Sammon I just think his severe lack of ability meant he added absolutely nothing. The amount of times we played the ball into him upfront and he couldn't even hold it up. I also think the fact he's a big friendly giant hinders him as you won't see him using his build to rough defences up or even put himself about. In summary I think he tries but he's absolutely shite.

He is done and has been for a couple of seasons and you have to have ability to have more more than half a dozen caps and perform well in the English premiership.

Where he was successful was with teams that were up against it with plenty space to run into behind the defence, he isn't a player who will hold the ball up or win a large portion of headers, it was always a ball over the top that seen him have his success. If he has anything to offer it won't be at Falkirk in the 3rd tier as the above doesn't apply.

33 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

You say lack of ability but that simply can't be the case. You don't get to make so many appearances at the highest level in both Scotland and England and have 9 international caps for the Republic without being able to play a bit of football.  He scored 15 goals in 23 games for killie in the top flight one season which is a superb return.  Its certainly not lack of abity thats the issue.

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

He is done and has been for a couple of seasons and you have to have ability to have more more than half a dozen caps and perform well in the English premiership.

Where he was successful was with teams that were up against it with plenty space to run into behind the defence, he isn't a player who will hold the ball up or win a large portion of headers, it was always a ball over the top that seen him have his success. If he has anything to offer it won't be at Falkirk in the 3rd tier as the above doesn't apply.

Exactly .

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m happy to remember Stokes as an dynamic, enthusiastic goal machine who was brilliant in his short spell for us.

Sadly over the years he’s made a lot of stupid life choices and I wouldn’t want the current version anywhere near Falkirk.

He is now at a club that suits him perfectly surrounded by sex offenders and being coached by a drug dealer - what could possibly go wrong ??

IRA supporting (that says it all to me) and pretty sure domestic violence was what he had the warrant out for his arrest for

Great player for us all the same before he turned into a bit of an a**ehole

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

IRA supporting (that says it all to me) and pretty sure domestic violence was what he had the warrant out for his arrest for

Great player for us all the same before he turned into a bit of an a**ehole

He battered an Elvis impersonator I seem to recall.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He battered an Elvis impersonator I seem to recall.

That was another one to add to the list the elvis impersonator one was in Ireland the arrest warrant was issued in Scotland think he had threated his ex gf and her mum, 2 arrest warrants one for the Elvis impersonator (cant think why anyone would want to impersonate pressley) ..badaboomtish and the other for just being a creepy b*****d and harrassing and stalking his ex

hence rhe buggering off to Iran to play

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4287893/anthony-stokes-celtic-hibs-stalker-arrest-warrant-scotland/

Edited by AL-FFC

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You say lack of ability but that simply can't be the case. You don't get to make so many appearances at the highest level in both Scotland and England and have 9 international caps for the Republic without being able to play a bit of football.  He scored 15 goals in 23 games for killie in the top flight one season which is a superb return.  Its certainly not lack of abity thats the issue.

One good season in the scottish premiership is not proof of ability. He failed to score 10 goals in any other season apart from that and for a striker that's appalling. His athleticism has been the reason for his half decent career not his footballing ability. Hence why now he's lost that his lack of ability is clear to see. 

60DE9888-D92B-4D13-8C44-5436E2B13CAF.png

Edited by FFC 1876

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

One good season in the scottish premiership is not proof of ability. He failed to score 10 goals in any other season apart from that and for a striker that's appalling. His athleticism has been the reason for his half decent career not his footballing ability. Hence why now he's lost that his lack of ability is clear to see. 

His career never really blossomed after he left Cherry Orchard.

I’d have expected him to harvest a lot more goals.

43 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That's an abysmal goals record. C'mon Ray do us a favour and take this cnut to Queens Park. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

You do realise that a striker can still have ability and a decent career with a poor goals per game ratio, most cases in that respect is that they have more ability than just putting the ball in the net, not putting Connor in that bracket but he brought something to most his team's pre Hearts.

He was doing well in the English premiership, stretching defences, running the flanks as a lone striker, not bad for a bloke with no ability and his value doubling after as you put it his one good season value in Scotland

He would be nowhere near the clubs he has been at and international recognition if he didnt have no ability.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

That's an abysmal goals record. C'mon Ray do us a favour and take this cnut to Queens Park. 

QoS have almost went a week without signing an ex bairn...

He'd probably do a job there