The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83

It’s a kinda shit situation to be in. Ultimately I think we all know that unless something drastically happens the managers probably won’t be here long term but at the same time how can we get rid IF we go up? 

I think our main challengers will end up being East Fife, wouldn’t mind their manager at the Falkirk Stadium at all!

I'd also keep Alston for next season but we'd need someone with a real engine to play in the middle with him - a Will Vaulks type. 

If promotion is achieved M&M should at least get a crack at the Championship, but I'd definitely take Petrie as a replacement 

1 minute ago, Peter LaFleur said:

What about Luca Connell? Celtic snapped him up on a free after he made first team appearances for Bolton. He’s just went on loan to Queens Park.

I agree with your retain list from a post before with the exception of Connolly. He’s a good player when fit, it’s just a shame he can’t keep fit.

He played in the game against us at the Falkirk stadium and I can't say he was that impressive. Ewan Henderson ran the show for them that day and Scott Robertson done quite well but he's on loan at Gillingham this season.

Even with 10 games to go (or potentially only 6) that is already a big lead for Falkirk. Their current points per game would see them finishing on 44 points, that would mean the likes of Partick would need to win 9 and draw 1 of their last 11 games. Or Cove would need to win 8 and draw 1 of their last 10.

Partick have scored less than a goal a game this season, not a chance they are suddenly going to go on a run like that given their lack of firepower. And can't see Cove or anyone else putting that kind of run together either, the tightness of the league from 2nd down to 7th just shows how tough it is for teams to put any kind of run together. Every game is a game you know you've a chance of winning, but virtually no game is one that you can look at in advance and assume it's 3 points. Outside of Falkirk I'm not sure what the longest winning run of any team has been this season, perhaps Cove at the start of the season? Which I think was 5 wins (and where they probably benefitted from teams not knowing how to play them yet), they'd need to repeat that and more to even get close.

Falkirk's defensive record makes it very hard to see them collapsing, they don't seem to be playing brilliantly but they are doing enough, as long as they keep going at a similar rate I think the rest of the teams will all just cut each other's throats and they'll win it relatively comfortably.

Obviously, the point of this post is to jinx this and hope we go unbeaten until the end of the season...

Guest Peter LaFleur
1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Even with 10 games to go (or potentially only 6) that is already a big lead for Falkirk. Their current points per game would see them finishing on 44 points, that would mean the likes of Partick would need to win 9 and draw 1 of their last 11 games. Or Cove would need to win 8 and draw 1 of their last 10.

Partick have scored less than a goal a game this season, not a chance they are suddenly going to go on a run like that given their lack of firepower. And can't see Cove or anyone else putting that kind of run together either, the tightness of the league from 2nd down to 7th just shows how tough it is for teams to put any kind of run together. Every game is a game you know you've a chance of winning, but virtually no game is one that you can look at in advance and assume it's 3 points. Outside of Falkirk I'm not sure what the longest winning run of any team has been this season, perhaps Cove at the start of the season? Which I think was 5 wins (and where they probably benefitted from teams not knowing how to play them yet), they'd need to repeat that and more to even get close.

Falkirk's defensive record makes it very hard to see them collapsing, they don't seem to be playing brilliantly but they are doing enough, as long as they keep going at a similar rate I think the rest of the teams will all just cut each other's throats and they'll win it relatively comfortably.

Obviously, the point of this post is to jinx this and hope we go unbeaten until the end of the season...

That’s kinda the way I see it as well. The league is pretty rancid and I just can’t see anyone pulling a run together to make the points up. If it’s an 18 game season we’ve now also played EF, Thistle and Montrose twice leaving only Cove and Airdrie out of the better clubs to play. Watch us drop points to Forfar on Saturday now.

3 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Is any of it inaccurate?

read the thread of the other games yesterday.  Every single one contains a variation on the line “I wasn’t expecting much but that was awful to watch”.  Teams are rusty and everyone has just spend 4 months getting used to watching football at a much higher level on the telly.  Calling for managers to go after one game back is just idiotic.

You just aren't catching on are you? The dross performance has nothing to do with the team being rusty, we were just as bad before the break. Also, the call for the managers to go didn't begin yesterday, there was massive discontent with M&M before the break. 

15 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

This is arguably a harder league this year than it was last. Cove are miles better than Stranraer, which probably wouldn’t be hard. As long as we get out this league this season I don’t really care how we play. 

Yes but Rovers were miles better than Thistle.

1 hour ago, MS RR said:

You just aren't catching on are you? The dross performance has nothing to do with the team being rusty, we were just as bad before the break. Also, the call for the managers to go didn't begin yesterday, there was massive discontent with M&M before the break. 

I want a bit of consistency at the club, and I want promoted.  Those two things best serve our long term interests.  If that means shitfesting our way out of this league by just being narrowly better than the rest, I’ll take that all day long.

19 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yes but Rovers were miles better than Thistle.

Yes they probably were but Partick still have some decent players when you look at their starting 11/bench. Probably better than Raith’s. There’s something not quite right there I feel. 

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Nathan Austin and Kyle Turner are the only two signings outwith the one's we made that I would have taken. Austin's went back to the club he started with, he gets to remain part time and he lives over in fife so it's not much travelling for him. He probably had no interest in joining a full time club on loan and let alone us after how his first spell went. Turner was never an option as we'd never get a loan in from Dunfermline. The only other one is Mochrie but Montrose already had the first say on him due to the fact they'd had him since the start of the season. 

Wake up and smell the coco. Our signings need to be a lot better in the summer but for now we've essentially done as well as we were going to.

Austin is like any other footballer. Offer him enough cash and he'll.play and for 7 to 11 matches I'd take him as a part time player over anyone we have outside Keena. Why would Dunfermline not loan us players? If it's worth there while of course they would. Many players have transferred between the two over the years without any problems. Different if we were in the same league but we aren't.

Would be fascinated to know what M&M see in Leitch to start him over Telfer.  That episode in the 1st half where he was in miles of space down the right and then somehow managed to lose the ball rather than get a cross in (or even win a corner) was utter sh*t.  

Morrison, Dowds, Mutch, Dixon, Miller and maybe Keena were the only pass marks for me yesterday.  Dixon and Miller purely for being 'solid' which is a low bar.  Can't think of a time either full back overlapped or put in a decent cross.  

Austin is like any other footballer. Offer him enough cash and he'll.play and for 7 to 11 matches I'd take him as a part time player over anyone we have outside Keena. Why would Dunfermline not loan us players? If it's worth there while of course they would. Many players have transferred between the two over the years without any problems. Different if we were in the same league but we aren't.

Dunfermline signed one of the Airdrie players (can’t remember who) and part of the deal was he went back on loan till end of season, with the layoff that didn’t happen, so I assume Turner is purely to compensate Airdrie.

Just now, Uncle Chief said:

Dunfermline signed one of the Airdrie players (can’t remember who) and part of the deal was he went back on loan till end of season, with the layoff that didn’t happen, so I assume Turner is purely to compensate Airdrie.

I wasn't saying we should have signed him anyway to be honest I was more disagreeing with the fact that Dunfermline wouldn't loan us players. I'm sure they would if it suited both parties whilst we're in separate leagues.