The Falkirk FC Thread

So the only options realistically are M+M till the end of the season or bin them and let Holt take the reigns. What an absolute state we are in. Holt in my view has no managerial attributes whatsoever, done nothing to disprove this  but M+M are the two clowns who put those 11 headless chickens out there today who had no idea what they were meant to be doing or had any passion for the shirt so we are generally fucked and this league beckons for a 3rd year. No wonder I drink. 

4 minutes ago, MS RR said:

It's very difficult to say what his actual role at the club is, but I believe he's involved with the coaching to a large extent. He was a manager at a premiership team a couple of months ago, do you think he's come to Falkirk with intentions of staying away from coaching? Also, appointing him as a DOF makes very little sense when Martindale was the one who made all the decisions on who Livingston signed. Holt has very little experience of player recruitment and that in itself would suggest that he's not at Falkirk to work away from the dugout. 

If he's doing more than his remit then we're fecked. The dof should have nothing to do with coaching or managing the first team and I can assure you if that's not the case with Holt then we will never attract any sort of decent manager to the club as they simply won't put up with that sort of interference. His role is to recruit players and get the youth development side of things back up and running and that should be it.  If the manager asks for advice on something then sure he can be a sounding board but that's it. 

Let’s be perfectly and utterly clear here, Holt wouldn’t be as bad as what we have currently to last us until the end of the season. I can’t really remember the last time I seen a professional football team look like how we looked today. As someone who has got a few coaching badges under my belt (granted mainly youth) our team looked like it had no idea how to play the formation, individually the players didn’t know how to play the roles they were assigned and that only causes bother. No wonder we created next to no chances. Recruitment is the manager’s bread and butter and you live and die on your signings and that’s a big problem on Miller and McCracken’s behalf, along with this chopping and changing formation. No wonder the players look lost most games. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If he's doing more than his remit then we're fecked. The dof should have nothing to do with coaching or managing the first team and I can assure you if that's not the case with Holt then we will never attract any sort of decent manager to the club as they simply won't put up with that sort of interference. His role is to recruit players and get the youth development side of things back up and running and that should be it.  If the manager asks for advice on something then sure he can be a sounding board but that's it. 

I think you're looking at this situation with less cynicism than me. I do believe he's doing more than his remit and that it why I believe we are completely fecked. This guy has very little experience in player recruitment and is also a shabby coach. That is why I don't want him involved in the club at all. I'm happy to sack M&M now and put Holt in there because he couldn't be worse, but it won't be much better. 

Just now, MS RR said:

I think you're looking at this situation with less cynicism than me. I do believe he's doing more than his remit and that it why I believe we are completely fecked. This guy has very little experience in player recruitment and is also a shabby coach. That is why I don't want him involved in the club at all. I'm happy to sack M&M now and put Holt in there because he couldn't be worse, but it won't be much better. 

His Falkirk side were certainly a lot better than these clowns. Brought in some good players too like McCracken, Peter grant, Rory loy. I wouldn't want him on a permanent basis but he should have enough to give us a shot at winning this league which is more than we have at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

His Falkirk side were certainly a lot better than these clowns. Brought in some good players too like McCracken, Peter grant, Rory loy. I wouldn't want him on a permanent basis but he should have enough to give us a shot at winning this league which is more than we have at the moment.

Well this could be the worst set of players assembled in the history of our existence, and that's not an exaggeration. 

2 minutes ago, MS RR said:

Well this could be the worst set of players assembled in the history of our existence, and that's not an exaggeration. 

Are you forgetting Hartleys heroes assembled with the so called Brentford model.  McKinnons side wasn't much better mind you but as far as underachievement goes we may be sitting top at the moment its not a case of if we lose top spot its when.

But hey their a good bunch of guys according to M and M

The pessimist in me worries that we’ll look back on the Holt appointment as we do the M&M, McKinnon, academy dumping/Hartley project - lots of support at the time for it (let’s not pretend a lot of us weren’t creaming ourselves at the “sexy 11” we were assorting from places like Chelsea’s academy that summer). 

Holt has no experience doing the job we’ve recruited him for and if you hear about DOF’s in other clubs interfering in training ground work/coaching my immediate reaction would be “basket case”. What a mess.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

The pessimist in me worries that we’ll look back on the Holt appointment as we do the M&M, McKinnon, academy dumping/Hartley project - lots of support at the time for it (let’s not pretend a lot of us weren’t creaming ourselves at the “sexy 11” we were assorting from places like Chelsea’s academy that summer). 

Holt has no experience doing the job we’ve recruited him for and if you hear about DOF’s in other clubs interfering in training ground work/coaching my immediate reaction would be “basket case”. What a mess.

You don't need to worry about the basket case bit we are already that.

McKinnon was a clown and I wanted him sacked. However, he assembled a better squad last season than these two have this year.

ETA: not that that is a) saying much or b) saying either of the squads were anywhere near good enough. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Just now, 18BAIRN76 said:

McKinnon was a clown and I wanted him sacked. However, he assembled a better squad last season than these two have this year.

He still signed Durnan which in itself a sackable offence or should have been 

Btw there is absolutely no downside of getting rid of they gormless idiots and giving it to Holt to the end of the season, and the end of the season only. Under dumb and dumber we are not going up not even maybe. Now not saying Holt will be any better but he certainly can’t and won’t be any worse. The move absolutely has to be to bin them now give Holt the task to try and limp over the finish line before appointing an actual football manager in the summer regardless what division we’re in.

That is the only option which should be acceptable. However we just know that their going nowhere and as a team neither are we. It’s equal parts embarrassing, shameful and rage inducing the level we have sunk to and with no real plan or obvious vision or how we’re getting out of this mess.

27 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Are they not going to bother drawing the 50/50?

I don’t have a ticket but just seems strange they’ve not done it.

(praying it’s because of a potential imminent club statement)

They're saving it till Tuesday at about 5pm. The winner will be at centre back beside Durnan.

That’s five or six times in the past three seasons when I have been convinced that FFC had finally hit its own personal rock bottom. Every time the club has then recalibrated, and found a way to dig a wee bit lower, with today being one of those special moments.

I shudder thinking about the 0-3 thrashing we took from QotS......it was a display when I thought “well, it’s hard to think of us ever approaching that level of shit show again”.

Today, they probably matched the QotS game, but at a lower level. The amazing thing is, we collectively moan about it, but also collectively, we just seem to accept it. Of course, peeping over the parapets of Castle TFS, the usual suspects just keep on keeping on, playing at being powerful football club people while all the while, never grasping that everything around them is falling apart. FFC would make for a brilliant Louis Theroux documentary.

56 minutes ago, banditjag said:

No, not at all do I think everything is fine. A club like yours should be a shoe in for top of championship at the very least. The question was posed what do we have going for us and i was just pointing out you are top by a point. I can't comment on your form as I've only see Falkirk twice but being top has to count for something surely.

We are joint top with Cove and one point better off than Patrick, so yes theoretically we have a chance of winning the league. However the tide started to turn before Christmas when we lost at home to Airdrie, drew at home to a ten man Patrick, then lost away to East Fife in a pitiful showing. After the layoff, we won two against Montrose and Forfar but didn’t play well.  We have then won one, drawn one, and lost two of our last four. 4 points from 12. I really struggle to see how this is going to immediately improve for Falkirk, there is no time left for drawing and losing  games any longer. At the moment I’d not even reckon on them making the Play Offs, which they would be unlikely to get through either. 

54 minutes ago, Top Bins said:

So the only options realistically are M+M till the end of the season or bin them and let Holt take the reigns. 

Yes. There's no realistic prospect of an external appointment at this stage. Even if there was, you're looking at someone out-of-work - the likes of McIntyre, Kerr - and even they might not fancy taking the risk of being tarnished by failing to take us up whilst working with someone else's players. So we either stick with the status quo - and we will, sadly - which is tantamount to acceptance of another season at this level. Or we thank them for their services and move them on, hand the reins to Holt short-term and begin a comprehensive recruitment process. Advertise. Shortlist. Interview. Appoint. And only those with managerial experience need apply.

In an ideal world would I want Holt as manager? No. But our current circumstances are about as far removed from ideal as it's possible to imagine. Performances and results are so consistently poor, the cluelessness and ineptitude of the management team now so apparent that's it's difficult to imagine that even Holt, unconvincing as he may be - could not get something more from the current squad. We are that bad.

The camera angle at Cove gave a good view of the dug-out area. The two of them were utterly lost from start to finish. Miller stood still, arms folded, for 80 minutes before his vanity cameo appearance late on. McCracken, hands in pockets, staring at the ground. Negligible communication between them. They made Eddie May look inspiring. They have absolutely nothing to offer in this role. I don't think they ever did. Needs brought to an end immediately. 

Eddie May’s first job in management was in the top flight and was out of his depth but there’s a chance he might’ve been able to cut his teeth in a lower league and improve, unlike these two no-hopers who have had the aforementioned opportunity in the THIRD TIER and still look clueless. Out!