The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I tend to agree with most of this apart from the last bit. Footballers who have turned managers tend to be ambitious and an ego that they think they can sort things out. If the Falkirk job came up there would be no shortage of interest. 

There are far fewer football manager jobs than there are football managers. 

Just by chance I was sat next to a fairly recent ex falkirk management team member at another game, on the day of our 6-0 drubbing by Queens Park. I joked to him if he wanted a crack at the job that’s about to be available, noting no one on earth would want the job. He replied there’d be absolutely zero shortage of applicants. 

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

If you believe the truth is arrogance, that is your problem, not ours. Do you think Man City are good because they fostered a great team spirit over half a decade? In general. I’m afraid to say, clubs with more money will finish higher than teams with less money. 

How's that worked out for you over the last few seasons? It's not all about money. Just look at Arbroath. It's also about having the right people behind the scenes as well as infront. And a good structure. Falkirks is shambolic at best. And you know it. 

4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think he is right. We are miles off being a big club. We have a support that is generally impatient (some of it very understandable) however we are a massive rebuild. 
We have had successive boards talk about our rightful place, about thrashing teams in the league. All it was, was hot air with no substance. The Falkirk support is going to have to gain some patience of the managerial revolving door will keep spinning. I get if we hire the right guy that will turn, but I don’t think it is a quick fix, or shall we say quick enough for some. 

Finally, a voice of reason. Shame others cannot see it. 

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think he is right. We are miles off being a big club. We have a support that is generally impatient (some of it very understandable) however we are a massive rebuild. 
We have had successive boards talk about our rightful place, about thrashing teams in the league. All it was, was hot air with no substance. The Falkirk support is going to have to gain some patience of the managerial revolving door will keep spinning. I get if we hire the right guy that will turn, but I don’t think it is a quick fix, or shall we say quick enough for some. 

The “big club” stuff is just abstract nonsense. Doesn’t mean anything. What is important in football is budgets and potential. 

I know you believe Rennie has done okay, I think his time has been a disgrace. Almost all of this squad will go on to play for teams higher than us in the league currently. Will be surprised if I’m wrong 

2 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

How's that worked out for you over the last few seasons? It's not all about money. Just look at Arbroath. It's also about having the right people behind the scenes as well as infront. And a good structure. Falkirks is shambolic at best. And you know it. 

Where did I say our structure isn’t a mess? We are the worst run and worst full time team, possibly in the world. 

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Whoever comes in has a thankless task. Need a total clear out again but thanks to Holt we will be lumped with a fair bit of dross unless they have clauses in their contracts. As for budget for next season there will be a few clubs we will be vying with, if Dunfermline come down you'd imagine they will have a decent budget, Queens Park will no doubt give Coyle money to spend and Kelty will be able to offer players decent cash you'd think.  

Main thing is to get a decent first 11 on the park. If we have to keep the dross as backups then so be it. We'd obviously rely on keeping players fit but that's no different from most at this level really.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Do folk still think managers won't work at Falkirk even if Falkirk are offering more money?

Folk dont think that in real life.... Do they?

Do folk still think throwing money at jobbers and constantly changing managers will work? 

Folk don't think that in real life.... Do they? 

Where's this silly money stuff coming from? It's the managers themselves that are the issue not how much we are paying them.  We pay what most full time sides who get crowds our size pay nothing more and nothing less.  Airdrie have to pay less because they are on home crowds of 900 or that and that's it. It's a simple fact of life. The bigger clubs pay more that doesn't mean we're paying silly money FFS.

Do folk still think throwing money at jobbers and constantly changing managers will work? 
Well both my scenario and the one you rather sarcastically attempted here happen routinely in football m9, so I'm still none the wiser about whether you have a point you wish to make.

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Throwing silly money at jobbers seems to work okay for cove anyway.

Guest Ecosse83

I think everyone knows it’s a big rebuild but the most important part of that rebuild is getting the right manager. Unfortunately Rennie would now be too much of a risk because let’s me frank he hasn’t shown anywhere near enough to prove he’s the right man for it! 

Ive just finished talking to my dad who watched the game yesterday and he said it was the worst of the season so far. Went on to say no way will they even consider giving him the job they won’t be that daft. Hopefully he’s right. 

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Where's this silly money stuff coming from? It's the managers themselves that are the issue not how much we are paying them.  We pay what most full time sides who get crowds our size pay nothing more and nothing less.  Airdrie have to pay less because they are on home crowds of 900 or that and that's it. It's a simple fact of life. The bigger clubs pay more that doesn't mean we're paying silly money FFS.

So Griffiths is on a standard wage for a crowd your size eh? 😂 Which, by the way, seems to have shrunk a fair bit this season...

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Throwing silly money at jobbers seems to work okay for cove anyway.

And therein lies your problem. To even compare the players Cove have to yours is laughable. But it also highlights my main point that your problem is bigger than players, manager and throwing money at it hoping it'll solve it. 

Coves players actually try a leg. They play good, attractive football. They give a monkeys and earn their wages, unlike Falkirk's actual jobbers. 

And therein lies your problem. To even compare the players Cove have to yours is laughable. But it also highlights my main point that your problem is bigger than players, manager and throwing money at it hoping it'll solve it. 
Coves players actually try a leg. They play good, attractive football. They give a monkeys and earn their wages, unlike Falkirk's actual jobbers. 

You dont know more about this than any of us mate, so again..... What is it you are driving at here? It seems you are here to defend Airdries corner and insist that Ian Murray is going nowhere. That's fine, just be aware that one day when you are an adult you will realise that wages/potential are pretty much the be all and end all when it comes to choosing an employer for the huge majority of people.

Ian Murray can likely command a better wage now, in league 1 at Falkirk than he could in league 1 or maybe even the Championship with Airdrie.

He might be sold on the possibility that he can take Falkirk to the Premiership within a period of a few years, based on the fact that the board can maybe demonstrate the backing he would get once he got us to the Championship etc etc.

Now I don't know what he earns or what vision the Airdrie board are selling, I'm just pointing out that you are applying the logic of a child.

If Airdrie go up we’d obviously have zero chance of getting him. Others would probably be in for him or he’d want a crack at the Champ with Airdrie. That’s a much more attractive proposition than coming to us. 

However, if Airdrie don’t manage to get up, there’s a chance he might think he’s taken Airdrie as far as he can. Close last year, close again this year, but no cigar - especially with a tougher team coming down from the champ and Kelty, alloa and queens park probably stronger next year. 

A decent transfer budget and higher personal wages may entice him. The probability is that it wouldn’t, however. 

30 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

But giving out 2/3 contracts to said jobbers is paying silly money

Guest Ecosse83

Would be interesting to do a vote regarding Rennie for next season. Tried to start a new topic on the subject with a simple yes or no but couldn’t work it out 😂🤦‍♂️