The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Never got it with Mutch, one of the critical failings to make him No 1. Never under any real pressure as those in pecking order were even poorer. 

Maybe we should just sack him then!

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Can you afford Ian Murray though? 

Surely the money tree is getting more threadbare by the L1 season. 

Let's face it he'll be on peanuts at your side the now and compo therefore wouldn't be a whole lot. Might change of course if you go up but at the moment I doubt he'd be outside our price range.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Let's face it he'll be on peanuts at your side the now and compo therefore wouldn't be a whole lot. Might change of course if you go up but at the moment I doubt he'd be outside our price range.

He's full time so I doubt he's on peanuts.

Also, with the ridiculous lengthy contracts you guys are firing at utter jobbers it's hardly an attractive proposition, especially as managers don't seem to get long to turn things around at Falkirk. 

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Would you be willing to give him 4 years to slowly build his own team to be a realistic contender,  

I would think there would be a bigger threat of Murray going to Raith if we don't go up this year..

Can you afford Ian Murray though? 
Surely the money tree is getting more threadbare by the L1 season. 
That's the thing, I don't think.we could get Murray, I would rather have him than Mcglynn in ideal world, big fan of Murrays Airdrie team, and whether we can afford him, we are managing to find £1,500 a week on an unfit striker who is finished, so know where I'd prefer that money to go towards

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Would you be willing to give him 4 years to slowly build his own team to be a realistic contender,  

I would think there would be a bigger threat of Murray going to Raith if we don't go up this year..

If there are signs that we are on the right path then I believe whoever is the manager will be given the time.  

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Why would he need 4 years? At Falkirk he's got far more budget to work with . At Airdrie he's had to work like that as he's got hee haw to work with. At Falkirk he'd have one of the biggest if not the biggest budget in the league. Yes there's some dross hanging about but some would be ok squad players and hopefully he could get a bit more out some of them than Rennie.

If he went to Airdrie then I'd take mcglynn in a minute. A manager that's actually won something.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

That's the thing, I don't think.we could get Murray, I would rather have him than Mcglynn in ideal world, big fan of Murrays Airdrie team, and whether we can afford him, we are managing to find £1,500 a week on an unfit striker who is finished, so know where I'd prefer that money to go towards

Why could we not afford him? He'll be on what 25 to 30 k a year at Airdrie tops.

Whoever comes in has a thankless task. Need a total clear out again but thanks to Holt we will be lumped with a fair bit of dross unless they have clauses in their contracts. As for budget for next season there will be a few clubs we will be vying with, if Dunfermline come down you'd imagine they will have a decent budget, Queens Park will no doubt give Coyle money to spend and Kelty will be able to offer players decent cash you'd think.  

Why could we not afford him? He'll be on what 25 to 30 k a year at Airdrie tops.
Yeah he maybe is only on that at Airdrie, but I don't believe we would be only ones interested in him, IF he were to leave Airdrie, so we would need to come up with a package to match thoose clubs

1 minute ago, Amarillo Bairn said:
8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yeah he maybe is only on that at Airdrie, but I don't believe we would be only ones interested in him, IF he were to leave Airdrie, so we would need to come up with a package to match thoose clubs

That's another issue entirely. If there's competition from clubs above we'll struggle especially if we dither about what we are doing.

The idea it would take someone like Murray the same amount of time at Falkirk to build a vaguely competitive team as it did at Airdrie is just an utter lol.

We probably spent more and brought more players in in January than he’s been able to at Airdrie in the last 3 transfer windows combined. We have just had jobbers as managers who’ve spunked it on completely the wrong type of player/area. 

No Falkirk fan expects the world. Being able to beat more than just East Fife and Dumbarton over the course over a full season really shouldn’t have to be a 4 year plan. 

22 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's not even about whether you could afford him or not. The way your club is being ran, plus the unrealistic expectation of your fans who still struggle to grasp that you're not as big a team as you think anymore, means you'd ultimately ruin him. He'd be wasted at a club like Falkirk. Because the moment there's a rough patch you'd spit the dummy, again, demand change, again, throw silly money at jobbers, again. 

And your comment proves exactly that. 'We can throw more money at people than other clubs can.' It's arrogant beyond belief. And how's that worked out for you so far? 

Airdrie's successful run is not solely down to Murray. There's a lot more to it than that. 

It's a poisoned challis right now. Any sensible manager in a secure job should stay well clear. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's not even about whether you could afford him or not. The way your club is being ran, plus the unrealistic expectation of your fans who still struggle to grasp that you're not as big a team as you think anymore, means you'd ultimately ruin him. He'd be wasted at a club like Falkirk. Because the moment there's a rough patch you'd spit the dummy, again, demand change, again, throw silly money at jobbers, again. 

It's a poisoned challis right now. Any sensible manager should stay well clear. 

The calling card of a poster who simply does not know what they are talking about. 

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's a poisoned challis right now. Any sensible manager should stay well clear. 

I tend to agree with most of this apart from the last bit. Footballers who have turned managers tend to be ambitious and an ego that they think they can sort things out. If the Falkirk job came up there would be no shortage of interest. 

3 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

And your comment proves exactly that. 'We can throw more money at people than other clubs can.' It's arrogant beyond belief. And how's that worked out for you so far? 

Airdrie's successful run is not solely down to Murray. There's a lot more to it than that. 

It's a poisoned challis right now. Any sensible manager in a secure job should stay well clear. 

If you believe the truth is arrogance, that is your problem, not ours. Do you think Man City are good because they fostered a great team spirit over half a decade? In general. I’m afraid to say, clubs with more money will finish higher than teams with less money. 

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

The calling card of a poster who simply does not know what they are talking about. 

Haha, and that's your issue right there. You think other people can't see it but the truth is, they do, more than you clearly. Why do you think there's very little sympathy from other fans? Because there's an obvious arrogance from some posters, thinking they can buy their way out of the stink you're in. When that's what you've been trying all along and ultimately failed. And you still don't know why. It's quite hilarious. 

Just now, bairn88 said:

I think he is right. We are miles off being a big club. We have a support that is generally impatient (some of it very understandable) however we are a massive rebuild. 
We have had successive boards talk about our rightful place, about thrashing teams in the league. All it was, was hot air with no substance. The Falkirk support is going to have to gain some patience of the managerial revolving door will keep spinning. I get if we hire the right guy that will turn, but I don’t think it is a quick fix, or shall we say quick enough for some. 

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I tend to agree with most of this apart from the last bit. Footballers who have turned managers tend to be ambitious and an ego that they think they can sort things out. If the Falkirk job came up there would be no shortage of interest. 

If course there'd be interest. No doubt. Because Falkirk would throw silly money at them and then follow it up with silly money for players too. I didn't say that managers wouldn't want the role. I said sensible managers should stay clear. For now at least whilst the behind the scenes mess gets sorted out. I stand by that.