The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Tbh I suspect Hogarth will be away so that should open up one signing slot.

Beyond that, I’d only expect further moves if Mcglynn can shift some out the door. Personally I don’t think it would be sensible or a good use of funds to increase the budget any further.

You wouldn't have thought there would be much wriggle room given our finances certainly unless of course there's been more investment than that required to cover the 400k. Possibly recent performances have emphasised again that the likes of mcguffie and hetherington are nowhere near good enough and need emptied.

Even if a net zero spend January is what's required (it might well be, and it might well prove impossible) I think it's cast iron safe to say McGlynn is working as hard as he can at every angle to do it in such a way that results in some out and some in. 

Theres absolutely no way if we don't do business in January, it will be because McGlynn neither wanted or tried to. 

Thing is it depends whether he’s willing to offload guys who have been playing. All very well moving on your Seb Rosss and Jamie Wilsons but realistically they will be on very little.

If he really wants to free up funds he will need to look at players like Hetherington, Mcguffie and Nesbitt. Is he prepared to get rid of them?

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Let’s face it McGlynn would need to be a magician to get rid of the likes of Ross Wilson etc. That leaves the aforementioned guys which I’m not 100% sure McGlynn would get rid of.

I assume you mean Jamie Wilson 

43 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If he really wants to free up funds he will need to look at players like Hetherington, Mcguffie and Nesbitt. Is he prepared to get rid of them?

If he isn't, then in all honesty, he is not much use to us. Managers are paid to make hard, unsentimental decisions. That's the job. I'd like to think someone of McGlynn's experience has now had enough time to fully evaluate what he has at his disposal and realise that the make-up, and probably even more crucially, the mentality of too many of the current lot simply will not take us where we want to go.

Moving on players (and there's 2 or 3 of his own signings I would not be remotely sorry to see the back of) and freshening up the squad is a hell of a task, but every effort has to be made. Otherwise it's a fifth consecutive season at this level.

If McGlynn can find other clubs willing to take the likes of Hetherington, McGuffie, Ross and Wilson off our hands (which would presumably involve matching their salary here) it will be one of his finest achievements in football imo. Really difficult job for him in this window, even just taking Williamson to the vets to put him down would be an acceptable piece of business. At least Sneddon and Malcolm will be on buttons. 

39 minutes ago, AGPar said:

If he isn't, then in all honesty, he is not much use to us. Managers are paid to make hard, unsentimental decisions. That's the job. I'd like to think someone of McGlynn's experience has now had enough time to fully evaluate what he has at his disposal and realise that the make-up, and probably even more crucially, the mentality of too many of the current lot simply will not take us where we want to go.

Moving on players (and there's 2 or 3 of his own signings I would not be remotely sorry to see the back of) and freshening up the squad is a hell of a task, but every effort has to be made. Otherwise it's a fifth consecutive season at this level.

Can't think of any of McGlynn's signings that have done much wrong to warrant being dumped TBH. Considering that we're in L1, I don't think we could get much better than those he's signed. 

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

There is a difference in making the hard calls and the affordability. 
If McGlynn could have do you not think he would have cleared virtually all of them last summer? Personally I do but finance dictated he was stuck with them. 

Six months left on contracts may make things a bit easier now hopefully. 

11 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

There is a difference in making the hard calls and the affordability. 
If McGlynn could have do you not think he would have cleared virtually all of them last summer? Personally I do but finance dictated he was stuck with them. 

Six months left on contracts may make things a bit easier now hopefully. 

The hard call to which I referred is the decision to tell a McGuffie/Nesbitt/McKay whoever that they are not part of the plans going forward and free to look for another club. That, at least, can be done without a financial cost to the club.

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

The hard call to which I referred is the decision to tell a McGuffie/Nesbitt/McKay whoever that they are not part of the plans going forward and free to look for another club. That, at least, can be done without a financial cost to the club.

To be honest that should not be a hard call.

Fairly standard part of a Manager’s job.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

So he tells them that and they say fine I will just sit tight and see put my contract and take the cash? 
If anyone who has a contract now the reality is you will have to pay at least a proportion of it to move players on. That is the reality. Having that conversation comes at a cost sadly 

46 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

So he tells them that and they say fine I will just sit tight and see put my contract and take the cash? 
If anyone who has a contract now the reality is you will have to pay at least a proportion of it to move players on. That is the reality. Having that conversation comes at a cost sadly 

Should they decide to see out their contracts it doesn’t really change anything, they will just be taking their contracted salary.

Should they strike a deal to leave early then no loss to the quality of the squad and potentially enough money freed up (probably need at least three of them to move on) to fund a new signing.

These fringe guys whose contracts are nearing their end will already be having serious conversations with their agents.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Agents always a huge part of the problem, add that we could have a few first team players with 18 games to play and no sign of a wage come June, we could have serious issues if players down tools.

Would you actually notice if these particular players downed tools?

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Paying them a proportion of their wage - in return for nothing - between now and the expiry of their contracts is still preferable to paying them their full wage.