The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm not disputing that he done well in blooding the youngsters, and he did land some decent signings. Farid, Higginbotham, Taylor, Leahy were all excellent IMO.

What I can't agree with though is that blooding the youngsters were somehow his plan or anyway his doing. His hand was forced and short of doing himself out of his first managerial job, and more than likely dent his chances or another role in management, he had to suck it up.

I'm not disputing that he done well in blooding the youngsters, and he did land some decent signings. Farid, Higginbotham, Taylor, Leahy were all excellent IMO.

What I can't agree with though is that blooding the youngsters were somehow his plan or anyway his doing. His hand was forced and short of doing himself out of his first managerial job, and more than likely dent his chances or another role in management, he had to suck it up.

This is my point, you've explained it better.

I do also agree that Holt perhaps regressed the players whilst he was in charge.

This is my point, you've explained it better.

I do also agree that Holt perhaps regressed the players whilst he was in charge.

Players ?

The season that Kingsley shone at centre half as well as left back, McGrandles had his best season, Alston had a decent season, Vaulks at right back won a few POTY, Fulton didnt do too badly either and was dropped from the team when needed, something Elvis refused to do.

As for Elvis, failed to keep us up, where in my opinion an experienced manager wouldve kept us up, it wasnt mission impossible the task, then with a large budget of players on prem players he adds more dross, gives us our worst heartless performances against the pars in many years and loses a third of our games in the league, where on paper, it wasnt a great side but shouldve been challenging....again an experienced manager wouldve done better.

Following season his hands were tied and he got lucky till January but the youngsters worked well, I personally feel going far in the both challenge cup and league cup playing mainly lower league teams, instilled confidence within the group and winning became a habit albeit against lower level teams but carried on to the league. February onwards tho we only won 4 games in 15 league games and losing out to 2nd place by 3 pts of which Dundee got promoted. The following season started off with 1 league win in 8, yep progress is a bugger....

I'll grant Elvis a pass for the hands forced to play kids season but look at the progress made since he has left, Holt with a lesser budget had us in play offs playing attacking football, Houstie cup final then now play offs, the latter showing what experience can do.

Elvis simply, failed to keep us up, failed to challenge for the league when it was a hell of a lot easier to challenge than it is now and his fist pump at a 0-0 midweek away draw to to Morton is thankfully history

Edited by MrDust

Holt wasn't perfect but I'd say his first season of first team  management was a hell of a lot better than Pressley's. Someone else will eventually find out whether Holt will go on to become a decent manager I would presume as we didn't really have him long enough to find out . Some youngsters improved under him whilst others stagnated. Its like that with most managers I feel though.

Gary Holt's problem was he was a complete cock of a man.

Few who worked with him or met him had much positive to say.

In football terms, he should have been sacked, let alone allowed to resign when he did. He had unused budget in the January that he could have used and we just missed out on promotion. He failed us in my opinion.

Gary Holt's problem was he was a complete cock of a man.

Few who worked with him or met him had much positive to say.

In football terms, he should have been sacked, let alone allowed to resign when he did. He had unused budget in the January that he could have used and we just missed out on promotion. He failed us in my opinion.

Still seething about 1997 I see.

It will be hilarious when our Premiership season tix are cheaper than Hibs' championship tix and Hibees still think they're getting a good deal.

I'm gonnae set up a stall selling magic beans down Leith.

Are Hibs strapped for cash? Selling season tickets already for next year. Another George Craig master plan no doubt....

It's been going on well before Sir George joined our fine club.

Makes sense to get season tickets going while the cup final is here.

How do you come up with a price though?

It seems to me you're admitting that your paying far too much for this level so they can't lose either way.