The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

Not discussing the squad but starting line-ups. Theirs was missing 4 who will likely be regulars and I’d say the starting line up we fielded was arguably one of our strongest given current form. Could toss a coin for a couple of the positions like Hogarth for Long or Nesbitt for Miller but it’s not as clear cut. 

Anyway still think we have enough to beat Cove and should be able to comfortably win against Stirling on Tuesday. 

Christ you really a one infuriating poster. You ask me who improves the starting line up I give you names and you say it is nothing to do with a squad. Of course it is. The game now is about how you can change things from the bench just as much at the starting 11 especially with 5 subs. That is why we are short. I would happily loan out Lawal, Oliver and McKay (if someone would take him) and try and bring in 4 or 5 loans. The squad needs depth and if that is down to cash it needs to be found somehow. That 94th minute equaliser at Firhill is coming back to haunt us now.

We were streets ahead of cove to me but bad luck and Brad Mackay cost us 2 points. I'd expect Montrose and Edinburgh to be bottom half this season. I reckon some of us are still looking at Montrose as the side of a couple of seasons ago when they are a shadow of that currently. Edinburgh weren't that great last season and are poorer this season . I'd be more concerned about a trip to kelty than either of those away days as despite losing a good few players they have had some decent results so far. 

Just now, Mr Grimsdale said:

Christ you really a one infuriating poster. You ask me who improves the starting line up I give you names and you say it is nothing to do with a squad. Of course it is. The game now is about how you can change things from the bench just as much at the starting 11 especially with 5 subs. That is why we are short. I would happily loan out Lawal, Oliver and McKay (if someone would take him) and try and bring in 4 or 5 loans. The squad needs depth and if that is down to cash it needs to be found somehow. That 94th minute equaliser at Firhill is coming back to haunt us now.

I'd keep lawal . He offers something different from the bench. He hasn't managed to transfer that into when he starts as yet but he's a good impact player for me.

I didn’t make it up to Cove last week but the rest of the guys did and by all accounts we were very good. Hit the framework a couple times as well and baring what was a dubious penalty then Brad McKay being Brad McKay we’d have been comfortable winners, I'm told our general play was very good. I just hope we can find a way to start keeping clean sheets as we do seem to shoot our selves in the foot more often than most teams defensively. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

20 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

McIver, Alfie, Lang, Millar and Spencer are an upgrade. I saw plenty at Cove to think we are better. Were you there? 

They just need to prove it on the park. I agree on paper those players are upgrades but still seeing the same frailties defensively as last season so far. Hamilton haven’t lost a goal yet, by the way.

Good performance at Cove by all accounts but couldn’t get over the line at the end of the day (against a weakened opponent who’ll be a challenger for the title). It’s a concern for me.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

Works both ways mate. You are holding on to your own opinion and continuing the debate just as much. I’m not resorting to make it personal with you though. Sure you’ll get a lot of green dots for it but at least I try to back up what I say with some reasoning. Happy to stand corrected too but not just on the basis of you saying so. 

Our achilles heel will continue to be our defence in my opinion.  We should be capable against most teams in the league and I expect us to beat Stirling on Tuesday but I don't have confidence that we can play teams like Hamilton or Cove and not concede at least once.  It also feels inevitable we'll draw and lose other games for that reason that we really should be winning.  

Hamilton are a team built on a strong defence with a bit of grit in midfield.  They won't lose many games.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

19 hours ago, Hughsie said:

No point looking at the league table at the moment but one thing I would say is; does anybody think we’re capable of going away to Edinburgh or Montrose and winning easily by 2 or 3 goals. I can’t see it and that’s worrying for me.

Well, here's hoping that the players don't have the same mindset. 

Don’t think there’s one supporter that doesn’t have the thought before every game that we’re going to lose a goal through a stupid defensive/goalkeeping error/mistake or as posted zonal marking. 
It’s been like that for the past two maybe three seasons. Thought once we’d signed Donaldson there would more consolidation, however he’s as culpable as the rest, and thankfully we now have Lang along side.
With Yeats filling in at RB, you can see where our issues are. I think we’re stronger up the park, we’ve got width and we can change our shape up front as we now have a few CFs who can mix it. Pity the budgets gone as a decent RB in now could be the difference at season end. 

2 hours ago, Hughsie said:

They just need to prove it on the park. I agree on paper those players are upgrades but still seeing the same frailties defensively as last season so far. Hamilton haven’t lost a goal yet, by the way.

Good performance at Cove by all accounts but couldn’t get over the line at the end of the day (against a weakened opponent who’ll be a challenger for the title). It’s a concern for me.

Surely the players highlighted have proved it on the park?

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd keep lawal . He offers something different from the bench. He hasn't managed to transfer that into when he starts as yet but he's a good impact player for me.

This is an important point. 

We can see we've all got different opinions on importance of performances vs. results and squad makeup and deficiencies.

What I think this post highlights is maximising the use of the squad and getting the MA game time and having options off the bench who are already within the squad. 

Tense, cagey affairs are less likely to see us give opportunities to these younger lads. Hopefully we can get to a stage where we can give them a decent amount of game time and be sure we can rely on them.

6 hours ago, Higgenarse said:

Montrose are desperate to get a defender in on loan. Can I suggest we make Mckay available with the condition that he must play against us. With the wages we save we could sign a footballer 

They'll end up signing Jason Naismith who's just been released by Cove. 

8 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

This is an important point. 

We can see we've all got different opinions on importance of performances vs. results and squad makeup and deficiencies.

What I think this post highlights is maximising the use of the squad and getting the MA game time and having options off the bench who are already within the squad. 

Tense, cagey affairs are less likely to see us give opportunities to these younger lads. Hopefully we can get to a stage where we can give them a decent amount of game time and be sure we can rely on them.

Would love to see Pearse Carroll and Scott Honeyman get more game time too. Pearse looked really promising for the short couple of cameos he had last year and seemed to continue that in the pre season matches along with Honeyman. They form part of our first team squad too so hopefully McGlynn gives them more of a chance and see what they can do.