The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

That’s fair enough on their behalf but then surely need to question why he was given an extension. In terms of fans though we can only judge on what’s on the pitch. If you were happy for him to get an extension then why would you agree he’s poor given the relatively little game time he’s had since? 

Sunken cost fallacy. 

The extension at the time doesn't mean he's immune from being bypassed and therefore becoming the man to offload, if an offload is seen as needed 

2 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d say it was worth a punt given the flashes he’d shown and the fact he’s probably one of our lower earners. Mcglynn was most likely undecided but given there is raw ability there gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping he’d kick on with another deal, he just hasn’t grasped that opportunity unfortunately. Reports from fans who have watched some of the reserve games haven’t been great either. 

Was at the Dunfermline reserve game(has there been others?) and he wasn’t great but  was better than Ross, Ageyman, Allan and Mackie. 

Think what you say is fair but based on what you’ve seen though, are you going to stick to support him being rotten? 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Sunken cost fallacy. 

The extension at the time doesn't mean he's immune from being bypassed and therefore becoming the man to offload, if an offload is seen as needed 

Agreed but doesn’t mean how can he suddenly became a poor player when we’ve barely been able to judge him since?

16 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Was at the Dunfermline reserve game(has there been others?) and he wasn’t great but  was better than Ross, Ageyman, Allan and Mackie. 

Think what you say is fair but based on what you’ve seen though, are you going to stick to support him being rotten? 

Don’t put words in my mouth please, where did I say he was rotten? I don’t think anybody else has said that either, he’s just not good enough for us at the moment and has been overtaken by other players. Football is fluid and what is true one season may not be the same the next, the best decision now for the club and the player is for him to move on and make way for somebody hopefully better and more capable of forcing their way into our starting 11. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

@Dave McInally we can probably all agree there is a player there, he just doesn't work in this team.

A player like Ola will divide opinion everywhere - I've been a cheerleader for Nesbitt from day dot and you know how others feel and felt about him until fairly recently.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Agreed but doesn’t mean how can he suddenly became a poor player when we’ve barely been able to judge him since?

I think most folk have been fairly.consistent with Lawal. We have all seen the unpredictability, twinkle toed occasional brilliance. He was pretty must demanded on here as a starter prior to his injury last season and had a wee mini run where he looked good. But throughout that I think a lack of positional discipline and defensive workrate was discussed plenty on here. 

2 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

@Dave McInally we can probably all agree there is a player there, he just doesn't work in this team.

A player like Ola will divide opinion everywhere - I've been a cheerleader for Nesbitt from day dot and you know how others feel and felt about him until fairly recently.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Agree but wasn’t  the point I was getting at. Doesn’t matter though. 

For me a key factor in Ola not succeeding with us is he significantly underweight for a footballer. I saw him warm up before a game and his legs were painfully thin.  He is easily dominated by a defender and he lacks the physical presence needed.  A good bit of bulking up would make him a better player I think.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Sunken cost fallacy. 

At the time his contract was extended I doubt Ethan Ross was even close to being available. Shame it’s not worked out for Ola he is a nice guy who was great with the kids at the recent junior bairns day.

11 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Don’t put words in my mouth please, where did I say he was rotten? I don’t think anybody else has said that either, he’s just not good enough for us at the moment and has been overtaken by other players. Football is fluid and the best decision now for the club and the player is for him to move on and make way for somebody hopefully more capable of forcing their way into our starting 11. 

Just seen you edited this. You liked a post that said he was. It’s literally a couple of pages back. What I was referring to as seemed unfair but certainly not putting words in your mouth. 

34 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

Just seen you edited this. You liked a post that said he was. It’s literally a couple of pages back. What I was referring to as seemed unfair but certainly not putting words in your mouth. 

Well you did so I’m glad you now accept I never called him rotten because I didn’t but that doesn’t mean I think he’s good enough for us at this time. The poster was cracking a light hearted joke suggesting we let Lawal play against us obviously hinting it would weaken cove, thought it was quite quick witted and funny so I got a laugh at that and liked his post, surely that’s allowed! Ola has shown flashes of ability and I don’t see many fans calling the boy rotten as you are suggesting. Good luck to him but the fact is he just hasn’t turned out to be good enough for us so he’s been moved on, that’s football. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I was a self confessed and fairly vocal Ola fanboy last season. 

I just think it's quite apparent that our team, to the credit of all involved, has surpassed last seasons quite considerably and the risk/reward of playing Ola is now no longer palatable.

There was a massive dearth of creativity in our side at points last season. There just isn't now and so you can afford to leave out much more complete players in favour of a luxury flair player which is, at this moment, what Ola is.  

51 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Business so far in terms of outgoings are ones that I expected, I doubt it would happen but Long going back down the road and being replaced with an experienced keeper to be back up to Hogarth would do for me. No idea who would be out there to do this role right enough with McGloves away to livi. 

Allan will score goals for Clyde and Ola hopefully helps Cove take some points off Hamilton would be mission complete.

MacDonald at Morton? He isn't playing....

3 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

A few more pennies to play with due to the loans activity. Any two of GK, CB, CF would be good for loans in, finances permitting. Any chance of Rudden would be insanely good and give everyone a massive boost.

He wouldn't fit in to the structure McGlynn plays - it'd be great to see him back but he cannot play 1 up front in the way that McIver does - playing the ball off to the advancing midfield or into the channels. 

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He wasn't the answer in the summer and he's definitely not the answer now. Donkey.

Given he can't get a game for Morton, I think he'd be a bigger risk than Long.

56 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d say it was worth a punt he would develope given the flashes he’d shown and the fact he’s probably one of our lower earners, I’d also say as a fan looking at McGlynns recruitment and how he’s improved a number of players so far it makes sense to trust his judgement as he’s seeing the player day in day out. The manager was most likely undecided end of last season but given there is raw ability there gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping he’d kick on with another deal, he just hasn’t grasped that opportunity unfortunately. Reports from fans who have watched some of the reserve games haven’t been great either. 

Exactly this, I was really excited about Lawal. He was a raw young talent when he arrived but remember he was released from a semi professional team in the 6th tier of English football. I feel he did enough in his first season for the club to take a punt on him (potential benefit viewed against the risk), but he's gone backwards while the club has gone into fast forward and it's not worked out.  I'd trust John McGlynn on this, firstly for taking the risk on a years deal and then putting him out on loan when it didn't work out.  In the world of leadership and responsibility this is what happens. Nothing is ever scientific or clear cut where people are concerned. The talk about blame and wasting money, or Lawal not being given a chance is all a bit naive tbh, it happens at every club and countless players at our club over the years.