The get fit, stay fit thread

I figure you guys may be able to help. I'm recovering from a stroke but I am well enough now to start looking for a gym to help regain fitness. The issue is I hate gyms that play all that disco bunny shit music and staff that don't seem to have any knowledge about the fitness requirements of *cough* older gentlemen. Does anyone know of any gyms in central Edinburgh that aren't too big or 'Fitness Firsty' that would be able to design a fitness programme that takes into consideration medical issues?

Can't help with you here but (and this is something that you may already have been told) I would definetly look at a gym with swimming facilities. Because it's low resistance in the water it's a great rehabilitation exercise. I'd ask your doctor/physio first, of course, but it's a great way to get a decent exercise without putting a lot of strain on your joints.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Been going to the gym over here for the last 6 weeks. Massively different to the UK in terms of clientele. I'd say the vast majority of patrons are over the age of 50, no matter what time of the day you turn up at, and the average Swiss guy must be born in terrific shape. I look pretty good(For a 30 year old piss head Scotsman) but these guys are f**king machines.

Back into it as well. Wean is five months on Sunday so is getting into a more settled routine and I have a bit more free time. Been running about four miles followed by five or six hill sprints.

Looking to drop down to about 12 stones and get back into running 10Ks semi-regularly.

I figure you guys may be able to help. I'm recovering from a stroke but I am well enough now to start looking for a gym to help regain fitness. The issue is I hate gyms that play all that disco bunny shit music and staff that don't seem to have any knowledge about the fitness requirements of *cough* older gentlemen. Does anyone know of any gyms in central Edinburgh that aren't too big or 'Fitness Firsty' that would be able to design a fitness programme that takes into consideration medical issues?

I am a member of Pure Gym, there's one in Quartermile, one in Ocean Terminal and one in Gorgie. I'm not sure it's what you are looking for, as stated above I assume a pool would be a good way to start and Pure Gym's don't have pools, saunas etc. I've never had any personal training or classes so can't speak from first hand experience but the trainers look OK to me. If you go online you can check it out yourself - Pure Gym site.

I'm on a bit of a mission. I'm 15 stone 5 at the moment, looking to get down to around 11. I've lost 4lbs since Monday, which isn't too bad, but most of that will be fluids. I'm doing quite a lot of walking at the moment, and starting from Monday I'm going to the gym. There is a strong history of diabetes in my dads side of the family so I really need to cut out all the sugary and unhealthy stuff as well. I'm off the fizzy juice totally, I'm now drinking flavoured water, eating a shitload of fruit and veg, something I've never done before, and I've cut out the booze as well. The missus is on a strict regime as well so we can support each other and spur each other on.

I'd recommend consulting your doctor in the first instance, but also trying to speak to an independent PT rather than necessarily one who's based in a commercial gym. Most PTs in most commercial gyms aren't even that well qualified to be giving advice to anyone, let alone someone in your particular situation. I can't give any specific recommendations, I'm afraid. I'd echo the suggestion that swimming could be a good way to get yourself back into exercising, as could cycling. Depending on what you're actually looking to do, you don't necessarily need a gym membership.

As far as the music goes, the best way around that's basically just an mp3 player. I've never been in a gym that didn't play shite music.

Must have lost a bit of fitness after being out of action for nearly a month with that cold fluey virus thing but you get it back fairly swiftly. Quite enjoying the training just now but not liking walking like the tin man.dry.gif

December was a struggle for me too due to a combo of work and two bouts of the cold fluey virus thing. Have found that my cardio fitness hasn't suffered at all although the longest I went without training was seven days and apart from those seven days I still managed to train around four times a week. I am back on track with my cardio and have no trouble getting in at least three high intensity cardio sessions per week, more importantly I'm enjoying them again too.

What I have noticed is a loss of muscle strength when doing my weights sessions although I know that will come back quickly. Where I'm really struggling though is that I'm not enjoying my weights sessions and I'm finding it a struggle to go and get them done. I normally only do two or three weights sessions per week. Has anyone any ideas how to get back on track here so I feel it's less of a slog?

Edited by Maxriddles

I've lost half a pound in a week. Yes, half a fuckin pound. I'm eating 6 or more bits of fruit a day, drinking lots of flavoured water, and eating plenty of meat, pasta, and rice, along with yoghurts. I'm getting plenty of exercise (I'm in quite a physical job) and doing plenty of walking. Where the hell am I going wrong?

As many do, since the turn of the year I've been making a big effort to lose weight and get fitter and I'm doing pretty well so far.

I'm just wondering, is there a quick or easy way to measure your body fat percentage?

I bought a set of scales out of asda for £10 which give you your bmi, fat percentage and water percentage. Don't know how accurate they are for that though.

I've lost half a pound in a week. Yes, half a fuckin pound. I'm eating 6 or more bits of fruit a day, drinking lots of flavoured water, and eating plenty of meat, pasta, and rice, along with yoghurts. I'm getting plenty of exercise (I'm in quite a physical job) and doing plenty of walking. Where the hell am I going wrong?

did you weigh yourself at the same time of the day?

December was a struggle for me too due to a combo of work and two bouts of the cold fluey virus thing. Have found that my cardio fitness hasn't suffered at all although the longest I went without training was seven days and apart from those seven days I still managed to train around four times a week. I am back on track with my cardio and have no trouble getting in at least three high intensity cardio sessions per week, more importantly I'm enjoying them again too.

What I have noticed is a loss of muscle strength when doing my weights sessions although I know that will come back quickly. Where I'm really struggling though is that I'm not enjoying my weights sessions and I'm finding it a struggle to go and get them done. I normally only do two or three weights sessions per week. Has anyone any ideas how to get back on track here so I feel it's less of a slog?

I tend to plough on with some sort of bodyweight exercises even if I have a stinking cold or dont feel up to it. I keep the chin ups and press ups and stuff like that on the go, so when I actually feel OK again I dont feel too bad lifting weights again. Its the cardio stuff I dont do/dont feel like doing when I'm in that state.

I'm back playing squash again now anyway, so I'm getting plenty of cardio action from that, plus its actually enjoyable for me. I hate running distance which pretty much rules out going for a run with some of my mates, I just dont find it remotely enjoyable. I do like doing HIIT stuff and tabata which gets it all over and done with swiftly, which for a lazy fucker like me is ideal. I can go and crunch out ten minutes of tabata then Im back in my chair for Emmerdale.:P

Just drop the weight down to something you are happy with and maybe slow your reps right down? I sometimes do that with lighter weight and it really burns like f**k.

Nope, I'm weighing myself every Monday.

What he means is, at the same time?

Ideally to compare a weigh-in you have to make sure you do it in the same circumstances. First thing in the morning after a pee and a poo.

By the way, eating the right things isn't enough. You have to make sure you're in a calorie deficit. You can be eating all the right foods but if you're not in a calorie deficit then you won't lose weight.

You could still be eating far too much! Start counting calories instead of just eating hunners of stuff that seems healthy. Fruit is good for you but packed with sugars, is the flavoured water sugar free? Yogurts, again most have a heavy sugar content. Go back in the thread and read some of maks advice re eating. Make sure you are hitting your requirements for protein fat etc then keep your calories at a defecit and you will lose weight. You should weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you have anything to eat, you will weigh more at different times of the day.

I would up the ante with the exercise as well, working all day and going for a walk ain't gonna cut it really

You will either need to exercise more or eat less. Preferably both.

A top breakfast tip from me - A cup of rolled oats (I use Quaker Oats), a scoop of chocolate whey protein and a chopped banana on top. Washed down with a black coffee. The breakfast of a Duke. Sets you right up for the day, and gets the shite moving south.

Make sure said protein powder does not contain aspartame or acesulfame k. Both are neurotoxins. No point having a good bod when your brain turns to mush later on in life.

I think it may be too late for that.......