The get fit, stay fit thread

Neither do I, and that's why I described it as 'sub optimal at best' in my response to your post. By that, I meant that it's sub-optimal (in my opinion) even when followed as part of a calorie-controlled diet providing macronutrient and micronutrient sufficiency. If Tryfield's diet fits those criteria, I'll eat my own penis (dat dere brotein, makin gainz n shit).

BishyTON's comments were still incorrect, though, and that's more what I was getting at. It won't slow down his metabolism or necessarily lead to weight gain. If Tryfield's diet is unhealthy, it'll be because he doesn't have an adequate micronutrient intake (if he's only eating one meal, I'd be willing to bet that this is the case) and is either eating too much or too little (either of which could be the case, or alternatively he could happen to be eating about the right amount). Eating more meals could help to remedy this by making it easier to fit in more micronutrient dense foods, but that'd be the only reason. They wouldn't help just by virtue of being extra meals.

Yeah, I understand this. I just think it would be better to get folk to eat reasonably normally and take a bit of exercise. The more exercise you do, the more you get hungry too. :P Then you can worry about what you are sticking on your plate.

Yeah, I understand this. I just think it would be better to get folk to eat reasonably normally and take a bit of exercise. The more exercise you do, the more you get hungry too. :P Then you can worry about what you are sticking on your plate.

Yeah, it was more the stuff about increasing metabolism and so on that I was objecting to. The 'frequent small meals' thing is basically just bullshit peddled to get people buying supplements. I agree that the best way to have a healthy diet is to avoid extremes, so in terms of meal frequency one meal a day isn't great for most people and neither is eight meals a day. For most people, just having a sensible balanced diet and regularly doing a form of exercise they enjoy is more than enough.

Yeah, it was more the stuff about increasing metabolism and so on that I was objecting to. The 'frequent small meals' thing is basically just bullshit peddled to get people buying supplements. I agree that the best way to have a healthy diet is to avoid extremes, so in terms of meal frequency one meal a day isn't great for most people and neither is eight meals a day. For most people, just having a sensible balanced diet and regularly doing a form of exercise they enjoy is more than enough.

its a bit different if you are some sort of athlete in competition with other folk that are very fit. Little things will maybe help you in that case. For ordinary folk just looking to keep fit and enjoy sport socially it really wont matter at all

its a bit different if you are some sort of athlete in competition with other folk that are very fit. Little things will maybe help you in that case. For ordinary folk just looking to keep fit and enjoy sport socially it really wont matter at all

In regard to meal frequency or more generally? Because meal frequency does matter in this context, but it's still a function of personal preference. Some people perform better on a higher frequency and some perform better on a lower frequency.

I'm hoping for some advice here regarding warm-up sets when doing weights. I do 5 sets of 5 reps, but how many warm-up sets should I be doing? I tend to just do 2 sets of 5 but I'm not sure what weight I should be using when I'm warming up and if 7 sets in total is too much?

Anyone ever build their own power rack? Saw a couple of videos on YouTube of folk that have built one from a few bits of 2x4 or 2x6 and some steel piping.

I'm hoping for some advice here regarding warm-up sets when doing weights. I do 5 sets of 5 reps, but how many warm-up sets should I be doing? I tend to just do 2 sets of 5 but I'm not sure what weight I should be using when I'm warming up and if 7 sets in total is too much?

I just do one set without the weight

Anyone tried that Insanity Workout? I seen on TV months ago and just presumed it was one of these "run-of-the-mill" DVD's but a few guys I work with have been raving about it. I just downloaded/started it the other day and you can see why it gets results as it's a pretty intense workout.

Edited by staggy4life

Is that 5 sets of the same weight for 5 reps? If so, I'd just work up in 1's or 2's to preserve energy for your work sets. If you're "pyramiding" the weight up, then I would probably just do one high set (about 10 reps) with minimal weight just to get the blood flowing. To be honest, it really depends how heavy your 5 sets of 5 will be. Also, if you're training entails pyramiding upwards, I'd suggest try and pyramid downwards instead.

Anyone tried that Insanity Workout? I seen on TV months ago and just presumed it was one of these "run-of-the-mill" DVD's but a few guys I work with have been raving about it. I just downloaded/started it the other day and you can see why it gets results as it's a pretty intense workout.

IMO, it's a load of shite. What happens after you complete it? Just do the last DVD over and over? It's good for getting fatties off their arses I suppose. I went on quite a rant about it on Facebook a few weeks back as well. Some folk needed to be told it's not going to turn them into an Adonis.

It's effectively the exercise equivalent of a diet.

IMO, it's a load of shite. What happens after you complete it? Just do the last DVD over and over? It's good for getting fatties off their arses I suppose. I went on quite a rant about it on Facebook a few weeks back as well. Some folk needed to be told it's not going to turn them into an Adonis.

It's effectively the exercise equivalent of a diet.

Obviously no exercise regime is a miracle worker and needs to be worked with a sensible diet in place. All I'm saying is from what I've heard from people who have done it is that they've got effective results.

Obviously no exercise regime is a miracle worker and needs to be worked with a sensible diet in place. All I'm saying is from what I've heard from people who have done it is that they've got effective results.

There's no doubting folk will get results. It's fucking mental intense excercise over a 2 month burst. But it advocates the 'quick fix' ethos that the majority of the UK fatties want and desire. It's the wrong way to go about getting fit I feel. It should be a lifestyle change. Insanity isn't the answer to that.

My home workout today was the below:

50 wide press ups

50 squats

40 normal press ups

40 Hindu squats

30 narrow press ups

30 Sumo squats

20 diamond press ups

20 jump squats

10 plyo press ups

10 lunge jumps

Followed by a minute's rest and then

50 sit ups

10 tuck jumps

40 twisting sit ups

10 tuck jumps

30 V sit ups

10 tuck jumps

20 leg raises

10 tuck jumps

10 alternate pike

10 tuck jumps

Then did another minute's rest and went for a half hour run. f**k going to the gym to do cardio.

My home workout today was the below:

50 wide press ups

50 squats

40 normal press ups

40 Hindu squats

30 narrow press ups

30 Sumo squats

20 diamond press ups

20 jump squats

10 plyo press ups

10 lunge jumps

Followed by a minute's rest and then

50 sit ups

10 tuck jumps

40 twisting sit ups

10 tuck jumps

30 V sit ups

10 tuck jumps

20 leg raises

10 tuck jumps

10 alternate pike

10 tuck jumps

Then did another minute's rest and went for a half hour run. f**k going to the gym to do cardio.

Not enough bicep curls IMO