The get fit, stay fit thread

20 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Gone from a 2 minutes to 3 minutes 30 seconds in a one-off plank. Taken a couple of weeks with only 3 or 4 days off due to lower back pain or forgetting until I've had a drink in the afternoon. Think I need to work harder on my upper body strength and core to reach 4 minutes as my next target. 

Was doing some sort of HIIT class on the beach in the Maldives last year. Thought I'd done alright, including winning a race where you had to tear about with a Swiss bloke on the back. Got absolutely caned at the plank though. Probably managed a minute and a half and after 5 minutes the instructor got bored of it as this Swiss couple who were both around 50ish appeared to be still going strong. 

For anyone who's interested and wants to feel completely inadequate Thor Bjornsson (aka The Mountain from Game Of Thrones) is attempting a 501kg deadlift this Saturday. There's been a lot of arguing amongst strongmen as to whether it should be an official record given he's attempting it in his own gym rather than in competition but, either way, it'll be very impressive if he does it.

He did a recent QNA with Brian Shaw and suggested he might even go for 520kg which, frankly, is insane.

Managing to get out for a run every couple of days, 5k for the most part but managed 10k on Sunday, albeit at a leisurely pace.

Also sticking with the press up routine. Managed 20x20 a few weeks back but wasn’t finding the 20 too difficult. Now doing sets of 35 but cut down to 5 or 6 times a day depending on how I am feeling. 35 might not be impressive to some but previously I would struggle to manage more than 20 at a time. Hoping to get up to sets of 50 in the next few weeks.

6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

For anyone who's interested and wants to feel completely inadequate Thor Bjornsson (aka The Mountain from Game Of Thrones) is attempting a 501kg deadlift this Saturday. There's been a lot of arguing amongst strongmen as to whether it should be an official record given he's attempting it in his own gym rather than in competition but, either way, it'll be very impressive if he does it.

He did a recent QNA with Brian Shaw and suggested he might even go for 520kg which, frankly, is insane.

I would be pleased with 100kg. Isn’t that like 80 stone?

Gorilla strength 

Edited by D.A.F.C

21 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Got back down to a 25 min 5k this morning and managed a jump to 4 minutes non stop plank. Pleased with today!

Not long back in from a post lunch run. 24.34 for the first 5k. Couldn’t have given it much more and delighted to be under 25. Lockdown is probably going to end and send me back to the office in great shape, only for reality to end all this fitness malarky I am managing. Can’t see me taking up gym membership again anytime soon, even when they reopen. The wee one being born means I just won’t have the flexibility in terms of time that I previously had.

The deadlifts that Eddie Hall and the Mountain are doing are basically inhuman.  It's probably not that good for you, I'm sure Eddie Hall made a video about the aftermath of him doing it, he was floored for a few weeks.  

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Aye I watched the aftermath of his 500kg one he had blood streaming out his nose, couldn't stand, couldn't talk or process what folk were saying. It's unbelievably impressive but Eddie Hall himself has said the weight he needs to be at to make these lifts probably shortens his life.

That's what I will be like back at the gym trying to do 100kg for reps,.

He did one where he swapped diets with his wife for a day, it was pretty funny.  I think his wife did pretty well.

A reminder that Thor is going to attempt to pull 501kg in ten minutes. You can watch it on YouTube.

Given I'm still blowing out my arse doing 5x5 @ 120kg yesterday, this kind of weight is unfathomable to me.

EDIT: Yes, I am a fucking moron 😅

Edited by Gaz

I watched it there (after not realising at first that it wasn't live 😅).

That was astonishing. He walks away like he's been for a walk in the park.

Don’t really know much about weightlifting so was curious how someone could lift half a tonne up over their head. 

I’d pay money to see someone overhead press 500 kg.

I watched it there (after not realising at first that it wasn't live [emoji28]).
That was astonishing. He walks away like he's been for a walk in the park.

That was bizarre. I watched the English boys record breaking attempt from a few years ago and he passed out. Big Thor gave some high fives and walked off

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That was bizarre. I watched the English boys record breaking attempt from a few years ago and he passed out. Big Thor gave some high fives and walked off

Aye, it was insane.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Don’t really know much about weightlifting so was curious how someone could lift half a tonne up over their head. 

Sorry, that's my fault. A "pull" in competitive powerlifting refers specifically to the deadlift, which is lifting a loaded barbell from the floor to the waist.