The get fit, stay fit thread

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Have you tried https://thefastdiet.co.uk/ ? Really good way to knock off a bit of weight quickly and you may find you quite enjoy doing it, and that in turn can make you feel more spritely when going for a run. 

I’ll take a look at that site, cheers 👍

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Dont mean to come across as harsh but if you are not losing weight then you are eating too many calories.

I wish I was! I have one cheat day a week and the rest of the days I’m eating about 2000 calories 

I've been stuck training at home - I'm lucky in that I've been able to borrow some dumbbells and plates from my team's gym and I've bought a barbell.  I've got 100kg in barbell weights now that I can use, but I've got a pair of 25kg plates ordered and a portable squat rack on the way too.  I'm not planning on the gyms being open any time soon and the SRU are very strict on no training at rugby grounds being allowed at all (a local actually phoned to complain about lads doing individual training at our training ground - even though we were free to do exactly the same thing at a busy park down the road?) so decided to buy a bit more weight to keep me ticking over.

I'm quite into my training, and looking to get into some S&C qualifications during the summer (not the usual internet PT stuff but more sport-specific) but I've found it hard to stick to a routine in lock-down.  Normally I'm up early to get into the gym before work, but because all that's closed just now it's not as easy.  I get up early with the intention of starting my sessions but I usually get caught up in doing something for work or in the house and a few hours have passed before I even think about starting.  Setting an alarm and following a set program helps though.

If anyone is looking for some good stuff to do instead of weights, I've started using resistance bands.  They're not too expensive (prices have gone up due to demand though, I guess). I've been surprised at just how much stuff you can actually do with them.  I've got a couple programs I was using that were just body-weight and resistance bands if folk were interested.

I'm absolutely shit at running though, always was.  

15 hours ago, super_carson said:

If anyone is looking for some good stuff to do instead of weights, I've started using resistance bands.  They're not too expensive (prices have gone up due to demand though, I guess). I've been surprised at just how much stuff you can actually do with them.  I've got a couple programs I was using that were just body-weight and resistance bands if folk were interested.

I'm absolutely shit at running though, always was.  

Yeah I'm not jealous of your barbell and weights at all mate! I've been doing body weight stuff since my gym closed but got a set of resistance bands yesterday, so I would be interested in the programs you are using for those. 

This Friday all districts bar 3 in Ontario are entering stage 2 of reopening, it's reckoned that stage 3 will be when gyms can reopen. Of course Toronto is one of the districts still in stage 1 because no one seems to take Covid 19 precautions seriously and it's still a raging hot spot for new cases. I emailed my gym boss and asked him cancel my membership for now, told him money was a little tight at the moment, which isn't really true but he cancelled my membership for now and refunded April, May and June. He's a good c**t, I can't imagine a commercial gym owner doing the same!      

I've come close to ordering a barbell and some plates a couple of times but I'd no sooner have them and there'd be an announcement for the gyms reopening. Came across a place in Dunfermline that are doing a York barbell and 140kg of plates for £400 but that's for delivery in July and I'm being optimistic that we enter phase 3 in July, in which cases the gyms can reopen.

Some of the prices that folk are trying to charge at the moment for any sort of fitness equipment is laughable. Obviously more people are looking to buy stuff to be able to workout at home but I saw a company on Facebook the other day who were trying to punt sets of 4kg dumbbells for £95 a pop.

8 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've come close to ordering a barbell and some plates a couple of times but I'd no sooner have them and there'd be an announcement for the gyms reopening. Came across a place in Dunfermline that are doing a York barbell and 140kg of plates for £400 but that's for delivery in July and I'm being optimistic that we enter phase 3 in July, in which cases the gyms can reopen.

Some of the prices that folk are trying to charge at the moment for any sort of fitness equipment is laughable. Obviously more people are looking to buy stuff to be able to workout at home but I saw a company on Facebook the other day who were trying to punt sets of 4kg dumbbells for £95 a pop.

I know, it's absolutely ridiculous the way in which folk are jacking up the prices.  Generally for some at home equipment, you'd be expecting roughly a £1 per kg for plates.  The higher end stuff that you'd use for olympic lifts can be more pricey but not that much more.  Even the cheap stuff you get out of Argos is going for 4 or 5 times what it would normally. I get supply and demand and all that, but it's ridiculous. 

When the gyms do re-open though, it will be interesting to see how many people who've bought equipment continue to workout at home having shelled our hundreds of pounds.  I'm a member at Nuffield, and they sent an e-mail saying they were re-opening "soon".  Not sure how mobbed it will be, it was pretty dead for the 2/3 weeks before lockdown.  I'm lucky I have our private gym at the club I play for so I'll be sticking to that - I can get in whenever I want and I don't have to share equipment if I'm on my own.  

I got a squat rack / barbell / plates a couple of years ago now. Probably spent about £500 in total. It's more than paid for itself in terms of saved gym fees and travelling time to / from the gym.

Got a punchbag thing for the garden at the start of lockdown but it's dead now. Doing plenty of running and cycling though and long walks with the dog. Fierce battle between the exercise and the massive pizza/fish supper/ irn bru consumption.

22 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I know, it's absolutely ridiculous the way in which folk are jacking up the prices.  Generally for some at home equipment, you'd be expecting roughly a £1 per kg for plates.  The higher end stuff that you'd use for olympic lifts can be more pricey but not that much more.  Even the cheap stuff you get out of Argos is going for 4 or 5 times what it would normally. I get supply and demand and all that, but it's ridiculous. 

When the gyms do re-open though, it will be interesting to see how many people who've bought equipment continue to workout at home having shelled our hundreds of pounds.  I'm a member at Nuffield, and they sent an e-mail saying they were re-opening "soon".  Not sure how mobbed it will be, it was pretty dead for the 2/3 weeks before lockdown.  I'm lucky I have our private gym at the club I play for so I'll be sticking to that - I can get in whenever I want and I don't have to share equipment if I'm on my own.  

My cousin recently took order of a barbell set with 77.5kg of plates along with a squat rack. I think it came from some back-street metal fabricator - I had a look on their website and the plates are advertised as "being accurate to 1%" while the squat rack looks like it would collapse if you looked at the wrong way. The price for this high level of quality? £625!

I'm hopeful that when the gyms do reopen my previous routine will be largely unaffected. I was always in for 6am so it was generally quiet at that time anyway. Even if they do operate some kind of booking system to control numbers I don't expect it to be much of an issue getting a slot at that time.

30 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

This lad took matters into his own hands, looks pretty snazzy, even if he squats like a girl:

That looks decent but also like a lot of effort. I'm in a few strongman/powerlifting groups on Facebook and a lot of the guys have put up training videos where they've used their wheelie bins as a squat rack.

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

That looks decent but also like a lot of effort. I'm in a few strongman/powerlifting groups on Facebook and a lot of the guys have put up training videos where they've used their wheelie bins as a squat rack.

Stick a couple old tyres on top to stop it rolling and that would probably be fine for most folk at home!

I'm usually in first thing.  Nuffield said that would limited people to an hour a day so that everyone can get in with distancing rules but I can't see that working - who would police it? Mind you, they also said no/limited changing rooms so people may not be wanting to go in the morning before work if they can't shower/change.  Works for me as I'm an early bird too.  

If anyone is based in the Edinburgh/Livingston area, we have some older cast-iron plates we're looking to sell - they've been given a fresh coat of paint and are grand for a home gym, just not really suitable for the work we're doing. I'm going to take some photos and upload them to Gumtree later. 

If anyone is based in the Edinburgh/Livingston area, we have some older cast-iron plates we're looking to sell - they've been given a fresh coat of paint and are grand for a home gym, just not really suitable for the work we're doing. I'm going to take some photos and upload them to Gumtree later. 
How much would you be looking for and what weight are you talking?

Hmm, I need to go and double check but we've got probably a half dozen each of 20kg plates all the way up to 2.5kg plates.  I'm about to go up after I've eaten and take a note and photos - I'll post it here. 

I'd say there's at least 250-300kgs worth plates off the top of my head.

Punt them on Ebay with low starting bid, folk will pay daft money for them.

Probably right, but it's the faff to post them all out!

So a lot of stuff has been borrowed already but hopefully we can get this back from the players this week.

Here's a list of what we have so far:

88198352_Screenshot_20200624-141542_Samsung20Notes.thumb.jpeg.ec2cf82e1f979ff3c9a91bd596472120.jpeg

Open to offers, but need to discuss with club before agreeing to anything yet.

They're all olympic size plates.

Been doing CrossFit online via Zoom and we are all using all sorts of weird and wonderful things as weights. I’ve been using a rucksack filled with bags of rice, tins of tomatoes, beans, etc. Taped 2 cans together to make a small dumbbell.

Obviously not as effective as proper weights but enough combined with the cardio stuff. Apparently this morning someone was using two bottles of red wine 🤣

Hey folks, me again.  

Finally had some time to collect in the loaned gym equipment and been told what I'm to sell it for.  It's based in Edinburgh, so if you're on the hunt for some plates then have a look at the Gumtree add below:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/weight-plates/cast-iron-weights-plates-olympic-bar-sized./1377043297

Ideally looking to sell the plates as sets, but open to offers if they don't sell in sets.  

They're actually in good nick, I re-painted them all a few months ago (some are a bit scuffed again but it's purely cosmetic).  Just not suitable for olympic lifting like we are doing, but ideal for home gyms if you're just looking to squat/bench etc. No bars for sale, I'm afraid. 

Edited to Add - sold pending collection.  All of it went in about 20 mins - just a handful of odds and ends left, but they may be gone as well.  

Edited by super_carson