The get fit, stay fit thread

Looking to buy plates online is a nightmare.  ALmost all for sale are tiny, I'm looking to get a couple of 20kg plates to top up the ones I have coming and there's hardly any.

Also, weight stands seem really expensive.  There's one for £50 on eBay but it ships from China and arrives in two months.  I'm goign to buy plates before stands as at least I can deadlift plates.  

I started my weight loss/improved fitness journey in September 2018. I was just about to turn 50, my father died of a heart attack when he was 59, his father when he was in his 50s too. I didn't want to go the same way.

In the first year of that I dropped circa 10 stones (I really was that overweight). 

The next 12 months was mostly about maintaining the weight loss and establishing a regular exercise routine The weight in that period fluctuated a bit, especially after a holiday in NYC, but by and large I've been successful in keeping the weight off. 

In all that time it's only now that I'm struggling with motivation. I've not been out for a run since the turn of the year, it's been a week since I've done any online exercise class and I've eaten way too many biscuits. I was going to a twice weekly Bootcamp which was helping me keep focus but that's obviously dumped for the foreseeable. 

Any tips on how to regain motivation/focus/. 

36 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I started my weight loss/improved fitness journey in September 2018. I was just about to turn 50, my father died of a heart attack when he was 59, his father when he was in his 50s too. I didn't want to go the same way.

In the first year of that I dropped circa 10 stones (I really was that overweight). 

The next 12 months was mostly about maintaining the weight loss and establishing a regular exercise routine The weight in that period fluctuated a bit, especially after a holiday in NYC, but by and large I've been successful in keeping the weight off. 

In all that time it's only now that I'm struggling with motivation. I've not been out for a run since the turn of the year, it's been a week since I've done any online exercise class and I've eaten way too many biscuits. I was going to a twice weekly Bootcamp which was helping me keep focus but that's obviously dumped for the foreseeable. 

Losing ten stone is an amazing effort, well done.

I think one the things about motiviation is you have to recognise that you aren't always going to be motivated, it's not always going to be fun, you have to embrace the grind.  Sometimes it's hard and you just need to batter through the sessions that you aren't really up for.

Longer term though, you won't stick to something that you don't enjoy at all.  Obviously the pandemic has screwed having a training buddy or doing a class.  One thing I used to do when I was running was find a podcast or an audio book and only listen to it when you are running, so that'll push you to run so you can listen to the next episode.  Not very original but best I can offer.

Edited by ICTChris

Dont think just get up and do it. Within a few minutes you will be fine. Just get out the door, put shoes on or whatever you need to do.
There isn't any secret just go for it. You will feel better because of it.
Well done for losing the weight but keep going.

I am having a crisis. The gym is closed and the owner has decided it’s closed until June because that’s when he thinks he’ll be allowed to reopen. The other stuff I like doing, hillwalking and swimming is off because I live to far from decent hills and lochs, I live in Glasgow city so walking is limited to around the parks and river - so it’s not really strenuous. I tried to buy some dumbbells/kettlebells online and either can’t get any or the ones available are too expensive (even gumtree etc are no go’s). The weight is going back on as well. 

Sorry that’s just really a massive vent but I think lockdown is finally starting to really get to me. 

Does anyone know of any decent online fitness that doesn’t require equipment? 

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I am having a crisis. The gym is closed and the owner has decided it’s closed until June because that’s when he thinks he’ll be allowed to reopen. The other stuff I like doing, hillwalking and swimming is off because I live to far from decent hills and lochs, I live in Glasgow city so walking is limited to around the parks and river - so it’s not really strenuous. I tried to buy some dumbbells/kettlebells online and either can’t get any or the ones available are too expensive (even gumtree etc are no go’s). The weight is going back on as well. 

Sorry that’s just really a massive vent but I think lockdown is finally starting to really get to me. 

If you want routine the boy Joe Wicks is doing his thing again every morning I think which would obviously give you some structure. 

I always write January off too dark and slippery and I start again in February. Going for a longish walk is as about as much as I'll manage a couple of times a week mainly due it being stuck on top of a hill.

Get some resistance bands. I had a couple from the first lockdown which served me well but for certain exercises they were either too heavy or too light.

Ordered a full set of these the other day https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-resistance-bands.html

If you haven't used resistance bands before you'll be surprised at how much you can get done with them. If weights are your thing then they aren't quite as good as a barbell and dumbells but they do the job for getting stuff done at home. Don't know if you're on Instagram but there's a few accounts on there who put up their workouts which I've found quite useful.

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Like Iron Mile 101 says, these hiit workouts can leave you a quaking mess within 15-20 mins. No equipment needed.

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Get some resistance bands. I had a couple from the first lockdown which served me well but for certain exercises they were either too heavy or too light.

Ordered a full set of these the other day https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-resistance-bands.html

If you haven't used resistance bands before you'll be surprised at how much you can get done with them. If weights are your thing then they aren't quite as good as a barbell and dumbells but they do the job for getting stuff done at home. Don't know if you're on Instagram but there's a few accounts on there who put up their workouts which I've found quite useful.

That’s an excellent idea - thank you.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

If you want routine the boy Joe Wicks is doing his thing again every morning I think which would obviously give you some structure. 

I always write January off too dark and slippery and I start again in February. Going for a longish walk is as about as much as I'll manage a couple of times a week mainly due it being stuck on top of a hill.

Yeah, I thought about running but with the snow and ice that’s a broken leg waiting to happen. Joe Wicks is a great idea, I haven’t seen his stuff before but I’ll take a look. Thanks

Yeah, I thought about running but with the snow and ice that’s a broken leg waiting to happen. Joe Wicks is a great idea, I haven’t seen his stuff before but I’ll take a look. Thanks
I think I have seen you say you live in a flat so this might not help but I love my slam ball. Smashing it about the place is class for venting but also acts as a weight so you can mix up ball slams, then do squats with it, then into push ups etc etc. Can put together a fast paced workout with only that plus body weight. Also, if space allows get a box for doing box jumps etc. All cheap and gettable hopefully

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I think I have seen you say you live in a flat so this might not help but I love my slam ball. Smashing it about the place is class for venting but also acts as a weight so you can mix up ball slams, then do squats with it, then into push ups etc etc. Can put together a fast paced workout with only that plus body weight. Also, if space allows get a box for doing box jumps etc. All cheap and gettable hopefully

Yeah I do live in a flat and even worse, during first lockdown I was doing online workouts (the gym were running them) and my downstairs neighbour complained about the noise! That said, I have plenty of space in the park outside, so I could go there.

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Yeah I do live in a flat and even worse, during first lockdown I was doing online workouts (the gym were running them) and my downstairs neighbour complained about the noise! That said, I have plenty of space in the park outside, so I could go there.

Well give it some thought then. Really good for the high intensity stuff. 

What I do with the heavy bag you can easy do without. Go reps of ten and throw in anything you want... Slams, squats, burpees, jackknifes using the weight, box jumps if you can get a box. 

As the fife c**t says, you can absolutely ruin yourself in about 20 minutes using such combinations

Calisthenics.
If you can get a pullup bar it would help.

Over the last few months I've been sorely tempted to build a home gym and I'm now staring to think that I may as well go for it. I don't have a garage, which would have been ideal, but have been looking at getting a decent sized shed.

Has anyone done similar and how do you find it? The main issue at the moment (like most things) appears to be cost. Having a look around and squat racks, plates etc. seem fairly reasonably priced when bought as a package. I've also come across a cable machine on ebay which is also a decent price. The main sticking point that I can find is dumbells which seem to be extortionate at the moment. I can go up to a decent weight at the gym but the cheapest full rack I've come across is priced well over £2k.