The get fit, stay fit thread

On 24/12/2020 at 08:43, super_carson said:

This kind of behaviour warrants a dumbbell to the puss.  

I've actually found myself getting more and more annoyed by "gym culture" these days.  Perhaps I'm being snobbish, but I tend to think folk (and it's usually women) that come in covered head to toe in Gym Shark clothing are only there to pose and don't have a clue about what they are doing.  Add to that anyone who has an Instagram account with "_fit" at the end, thinking they are some sort of authority on fitness without a single qualification.  Also folk that sit on their phone for 10 minutes between sets, especially when it's busy.  Needed to get that rant off my chest, glad others feel that way. 

Like before I've luckily been able to borrow gym equipment from my rugby club that I'll set up in the dining room once Christmas Day is over - rack, barbell up to 150kg, 32.5kg and 50 kg dumbbells as well as bands should keep me ticking over.  Sadly I think we are looking at another few months without the gyms being allowed to to be open.  

The best thing I ever did re: the gym was start leaving my phone in my car/locker. Not only does it help with focus, I also drink a lot more water. 

I've still got my wee home gym set up from the first lockdown but I'll be perfectly honest that I didn't go near it during the Tier 4 lockdown. There's just something about working out in a wee room that saps your motivation. I'd say the gym being shut affects me more than not going to football, or playing fives, or stuff like restaurants/pubs etc.

Edited by David W

Looking to order a barbell as I wouldn’t be on gyms being open any time soon. Anyone got any strong opinions on which brands to go for?
I bought a z-bar from argos that did for rows and curls but then needed to get an Olympic one from powerhouse along with a rack later on.
They do a package of a rack, bench, bar and weights saving a few hundred.
Its certainly solid, probably not suitable for in a house unless maybe a conservatory or large stone floor downstairs.
Depends on how much you want to do.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Looking to order a barbell as I wouldn’t be on gyms being open any time soon. Anyone got any strong opinions on which brands to go for?

Ordering Fitness Equipment online is a nightmare just now and I nearly had my fingers burnt with Fitness Superstore.  Definitely go with Powerhouse Fitness they have a street retail presence (Antigua St in Edinburgh) which doesn't mean much right now, but are very reliable..  I've now bought 24kg and 32kg kettlebells from them and they're excellent quality compared to my 16kg Argos one which was a much cheaper brand.

I have bought a barbell via Gumtree, collecting tomorrow.

Never used Gumtree before either I’ll get a bargain quality barbell or I’ll end up with my corpse being arse raped in a lay-by by a serial killer. A win-win.

19 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Ordering Fitness Equipment online is a nightmare just now and I nearly had my fingers burnt with Fitness Superstore.  Definitely go with Powerhouse Fitness they have a street retail presence (Antigua St in Edinburgh) which doesn't mean much right now, but are very reliable..  I've now bought 24kg and 32kg kettlebells from them and they're excellent quality compared to my 16kg Argos one which was a much cheaper brand.

I've bought plates & KB's from Powerhouse, they are pretty reliable, as are Newitts

https://www.newitts.com/

what a breath of fresh air this thread is, proactive folk making the best of a bad situation, i got absolutely hammered on another forum back in March because i mentioned i had, over a number of years, accumulated 4 various bars, 300+ kilos of plates, 25kgs rope, so on and so forth, apparently that makes me a hoarder, no better than the twats that filled their tesco trolley with shitpaper, pasta & dettol.

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

I've grown into home training so much that the only gym I'll go back to once this is over is a boxing one.

Prefer being able to do 20-30 min sessions every morning than longer ones at the gym, get a lot more bang for your buck imo.

Doing Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister kb routine (100 swings and 10 Turkish get ups) 4 x weekly and 1 morning doing dips/pull ups/kb squats and another doing kb snatches/clean & press/lunges etc.

I've always much preferred doing my workouts from home however having previously lived in a flat my equipment was limited to a couple of dumbbells and some bands. Now that we've moved house and have a garage my little project of setting up a home gym has commenced. Flooring is down and Squat rack arrived and was set up yesterday. I've got a bar with plates and bench on order which is due to be dispatched this week as well. 

22 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I've always much preferred doing my workouts from home however having previously lived in a flat my equipment was limited to a couple of dumbbells and some bands. Now that we've moved house and have a garage my little project of setting up a home gym has commenced. Flooring is down and Squat rack arrived and was set up yesterday. I've got a bar with plates and bench on order which is due to be dispatched this week as well. 

I'd recommend a punchbag with a picture of Josh Falkingham 😍