Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I'll be gutted if all this is true tbh, as its been talked about for years. Would be a hugely underwhelming thing

Robert took the Iron throne just by sitting in it though so it's more about power than legitimacy. However, I'm not sure it would matter if his parents were married just because of who they were.

I would guess that illegitimacy would probably far more important if your parents aren't both so high born.

The original questions was: "Would he have a greater claim than Dany as his father would be Danys older brother?"

Power is one thing, but legally, Dany's claim is much stronger.  If Lyanna and Rhaegar were married then yes, Jon would have the stronger claim.  But there's no evidence they were so for the moment he remains illegitimate and without a legal claim to the Iron Throne.

But I don't think Jon would be that fussed about being king.  He'll unite the North as he's still the offspring of a Stark, defeating the Boltons along the way.  Dany taking the Iron Throne and Jon being Warden of the North would make sense.

Edited by Forfinn

Jon has taken the Night's Watch oath which states that "I shall wear no crowns and win no glory", ruling him out of any throne.

However, it also states "Night gathers and now my watch begins.  It shall not end until my death".  If Jon has died, he doesn't have to adhere to his Night's Watch vows and could therefore break the oath (if only he'd done his resurrection earlier he could've carried on shagging the wee redhead).

Interestingly, the title of the next episode is 'Oathbreaker'.

Jon has taken the Night's Watch oath which states that "I shall wear no crowns and win no glory", ruling him out of any throne.

However, it also states "Night gathers and now my watch begins.  It shall not end until my death".  If Jon has died, he doesn't have to adhere to his Night's Watch vows and could therefore break the oath (if only he'd done his resurrection earlier he could've carried on shagging the wee redhead).

The night's watch is currently about 25 guys and a big dog. There might not be an institution to remain loyal to soon enough.

I'd have thought his dying and being brought back is a (very) convenient get-out clause allowing him to take a more active role in the North.  He'll hum and haw over the ethics of it, but the narrative needs him to take on a bigger role than just defending the wall.

A friend of mind used to work in the 'Deaths' department of a major insurance company and he once had someone phone up looking to cash in a policy due to the holder dying on the operating table and being revived.  Sadly you need a death certificate, so the claimant had to wait.

Unsure if Westeros has the same bureaucratic hurdles.

I'll be gutted if all this is true tbh, as its been talked about for years. Would be a hugely underwhelming thing

That's the problem with taking 20 years to write a story, every feasible plot twist has been suggested meaning there will be no real surprises to come unless they're Deus Ex Machina.

That's the problem with taking 20 years to write a story, every feasible plot twist has been suggested meaning there will be no real surprises to come unless they're Deus Ex Machina.

You could be right. There are so many possible McGuffins in a show effectively containing a who's who of the entire supernatural sphere.

The original questions was: "Would he have a greater claim than Dany as his father would be Danys older brother?"

Power is one thing, but legally, Dany's claim is much stronger. If Lyanna and Rhaegar were married then yes, Jon would have the stronger claim. But there's no evidence they were so for the moment he remains illegitimate and without a legal claim to the Iron Throne.

But I don't think Jon would be that fussed about being king. He'll unite the North as he's still the offspring of a Stark, defeating the Boltons along the way. Dany taking the Iron Throne and Jon being Warden of the North would make sense.

Not so sure, Jon is male and is the first born heir. That counts for a lot in Westeros regardless of whether he's a b*****d.

Remember there's still the chance that robb's will is going to resurface. The one where he legitimised Jon and named him his heir to the throne if he died without issue. Assume that will come up which gives him his remit to move on winterfell

Not so sure, Jon is male and is the first born heir. That counts for a lot in Westeros regardless of whether he's a b*****d.

I'd be surprised if Westerosi succession laws differed from medieval European monarchies.

Jon is illegitimate and b*****ds are heirs to nothing.

Remember there's still the chance that robb's will is going to resurface. The one where he legitimised Jon and named him his heir to the throne if he died without issue. Assume that will come up which gives him his remit to move on winterfell

Was this mentioned in the show? Would be an interesting twist.

What's the tower of joy? Has that been introduced on the TV show? If so when?

It's not been introduced. Basically a battle at the end of Roberts rebellion. The book hasn't really went into much detail yet but most folk have worked it out and looks like we'll know for sure in the next episode

It's not been introduced. Basically a battle at the end of Roberts rebellion. The book hasn't really went into much detail yet but most folk have worked it out and looks like we'll know for sure in the next episode

After the rebellion was basically over Ned Stark and several of the rebels rode to Storm's End to lift the siege. On their way back they diverted to the Tower of Joy in the Dornish Mountains, where they found several Targaryan loyalist Kingsguard Knights. The rebels won the battle but all of them were killed except for Ned and Howland Reed. Inside the Tower Ned found his dying sister Lyanna, whose kidnapping by Rhaegar Targaryan had triggered the whole rebellion.

In the Tower before Lyanna died she made Ned make a promise, that has never been revealed.

I'd be surprised if Westerosi succession laws differed from medieval European monarchies.

Jon is illegitimate and b*****ds are heirs to nothing.

All you've got to do is look at the fact that Roose had to have Ramsay "legitimized". If not Ramsay was a nothing b*****d with no claim to anything, regardless of being male and first born. Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna were married, Jon would still be a b*****d of the North... called Jon Snow.

Might have left it out the show but I was sure I could remember the scene where he wrote it

To be fair, if any of that is true you'd expect it to come out once the Blackfish returns.