Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

They are basically killing off or sending away (e.g. in Meera's case) a lot of the secondary characters this season by the looks of things as the separate storylines gradually merge into one. So I think it's more Bron, Varys, Missandei, the Hound, Dolorous Edd, Sweet Robin, Brienne, Littlefinger and Grey Worm type characters that will have run their course by the end of this season in many cases. Think the core Stark and Lannister characters plus Danerys and the Night King will all be in place at the start of next season and there won't be screen time to waste on too many others by that point. The only secondary character I think will definitely be there all the way to the end is Sam as he'll wind up being the guy writing everything down in the aftermath in a nod to LOTR sort of way as his name already is.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I think it would be a bit rubbish if Tyrion was a secret Targaryen. The whole point is that he's his father's son (literally and figuratively) but his father rejects him because he is a dwarf. Tywin's hating of him would seem more justified if he recognised the fact Tyrion wasn't his. 

Edited by The OP

She used all 3 when she attacked the ships in Slavers Bay.

Fair enough, maybe thought it was too much of a risk.

Joffrey also seems a bit young to be able to persuade a hired assassin to go on what was close to a suicide mission.

It wasn't a hired assassin, seemingly, just some guy who was desperate for money.

Seemingly Littlefinger knew it was Joffrey but told Catelyn it was Tyrion as he knew she's go after him whereas she'd have struggled to get at Joffrey. I do like the fact the whole war is due to Littlefinger.

It just randomly popped up in the books ages after the actual event itself when Tyrion gives Joffrey a gift. Seemed a pointless reveal considering the damage from it was already done and Joffrey died not long after.

Anyone seen the trailer for the next one? Dany seems to be going full psycho. One of Tyrion or Varys is gonna patch her

Amazing last 20 minutes to that episode. Up there with BOTB for me. 

The Lannisters still look to be in a pretty solid position despite the attack. The gold and the bulk of the army made it back to Kings Landing. Be interesting to see what Cersei does with the money that is coming her way from the iron bank. 

27 minutes ago, tintax said:

The Lannisters still look to be in a pretty solid position despite the attack. The gold and the bulk of the army made it back to Kings Landing. Be interesting to see what Cersei does with the money that is coming her way from the iron bank. 

She made mention of hiring these lads

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Company

7 hours ago, monkeyblair said:

Dany never managed to pull it out before Drogon turned to try and fry Jaime. I reckon it was quite well imbedded and if hit in the right place could have done a fair bit of damage.

Based on the preview for the next episode it was a fairly light wound but i think the real important thing here was that it was able to pierce a fully grown dragon's hide, i mean we see in this same battle that a full volley from trained archers with longbow's just bounced off his armor. But either way the blow was enough to ground him for long enough that he would have been killed if they had a force ready to fight him(which i imagine would be the strategy, ground it then overwhelm)

I think it's apparent that plenty of characters have plot armour now. Those who have their arc still to fulfill will be safe. Theon's redemption, Jon and the White Walkers, Arya and her list and Jaime turning on Cersei seem like givens at the moment.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

No way Drogon can be taken out the game. I suspect one or both of the smaller ones might get taken out though.

Why didnt Dany take all 3 dragons to attack?

Personally saw it as her just showing what one dragon could do when they all know she actually has three.

Taste of her power without going all out and slaughtering everyone like Tyrion and Jon advised her not to do.

Time continuing to be very bendable, I need to just get over it and go with the flow as we got that battle scene though....Christ! The whole thing was just amazing. Great build up and then they just threw you right in there. Thrilling.

Loved seeing the Dothraki let loose but really wanted to see them get in boats and cross the water to KL. Only criticism other than the timeframes is the water being that deep at the shoreline when Jaime plummets. Kinda feel that was GoTs first real cop-out moment regarding deaths if he survives this. 

Loved "fewer", "rickon, dickon" and "no-one". Littlefinger's reaction to "chaos is a ladder", Brienne/Arya duel, all the Bronn scenes (especially him and Jaime sharing a "what a c**t" look after Randyll suggested flogging the slowcoaches). Would love to see Arya going all Gene Parmesan with her disguise power now. 

My Theon prediction was wrong and he didn't turn up at Dorne but instead Dragonstone, a day late and a dollar short as usual.

Convenient cave art! Can have done without Missandei and Dany's "what a hottie" look to each other as they approached Jon. Let it happen if it happens...don't make it into a soap opera romance.

Kind of hope there's no battles next week so that there's more time for conspiring and stuff.

Edited by Christophe

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Hopefully more Hound and Sam.

Hoping for the Hound is the next episode too but I really fear for the big man. He's heading into big trouble. I think the only plot armour the Hound has is he is possibly going to meet one of the Stark girls and possibly sacrifice himself saving one of them? Otherwise Arya will never know he actually survived. Kind of the same with Jamie, there is no chance he is drowning, they wouldn't end his and Cercei's storyline just like that (a bit like a certain couple in TWD when there was a fake death).

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think it's apparent that plenty of characters have plot armour now. Those who have their arc still to fulfill will be safe. Theon's redemption, Jon and the White Walkers, Arya and her list and Jaime turning on Cersei seem like givens at the moment.

In other words, it's a wee bit predictable now. I agree.

The cave stuff in the last episode and the Oldtown scenes this season have annoyed me just as much as Kiddy has on this thread for the last 5 years. That is, a lot.

That's the only problem I think with the show now. It was great in the first few seasons when anyone could've died and it could happen at any moment. Now that everything is being set up for a final showdown characters aren't expendable and the show loses a bit of those tense moments when you weren't sure if he or she was going to survive.

Even the death of Jon didn't have that great a impact on me. For the first couple of moments I was a bit shocked then really confused. The writers had basically ended the White Walkers storyline as no one can fight them so everyone will probably die. It was a big moment in the show but after a month or two everyone had pretty much figured out that Melisandre was going to bring him back.

I think if the writers were going to go for a really shocking death it would have to be Tyrion. He's the only one who isn't really essential to the main storyline. Yes he's Dany's advisor but he's not had a central plot line since he left Kings Landing. The other main characters still have roles to play apart from Tyrion.

10 hours ago, tintax said:

Wouldn't a lot of the gold still have been at the place of battle? I thought it was in the line of wagons that got toasted.

I've always liked Bronn but really was hoping to see him killed when he was on that crossbow.Just has the odd moment now anyway.