Doctor Who

yoda

I just wanted to make it clear that my comment about Colin Baker was how he came off when he was introduced. In no way can I fairly say he's was a good or bad doctor as I haven't seen enough of him to justify that. What I will say is that my first impression of him however was very much unfavourable.

Confidemus, on 06 Dec 2013 - 08:19, said:

Sylvester McCoy, for me, was by far and away the worst Doctor Who of all. He turned the Doctor into a ridiculous little court jester.

The actor seems like a c**t as well.

He was alright in Still Game.

Sylvester McCoy, for me, was by far and away the worst Doctor Who of all. He turned the Doctor into a ridiculous little court jester.

I can't say I love the seventh Doctor in most of his tv era, but you can't entirely blame Sylvester McCoy for what happened in his first couple of series. The BBC screwed the producer of the show by making him sack Colin Baker but then gave very little help with picking his successor and setting out a new direction and tone for the show. Sylvester McCoy is actually pretty decent in his last seies imo. I'd even go so far as to say he's very good in Ghost Light and Curse of Fenric.

The Doctor I've always struggled to care about has been William Hartnell. Especially in his first couple of series. That's mainly because the Doctor didn't really start to become the character he is now until Patrick Troughton arrived on the scene. It's a bit harsh because you can't really blame Hartnell or the writers at the time as they obviously didn't know what way the series was going to go in the near future.

I refuse to take anyone's opinion on the subject of Doctor Who ever again if they think Matt Smith was one of the best. He's easily been the worst since it started up again. Mon now Yoss, you're better than that.

I hated Clone, it was w**k. Doesn't effect Smith's performance as Doctor though.

I strongly suspect that Smith isn't as good or as versatile an actor as either Ecclestone or Tennant, but he's nonetheless a better doctor, for me. Not that I'm knocking the other two, it's a shame we didn't see more of Ecclestone, and Tennant was a better doctor then I first thought he was going to be. But, whether it was the way it was played or the way it was written, Tennant's doc especially was much too human. Smith is more believably otherworldly.

Alex Kingston is lovely. Look up her performance in Moll Flanders to see her getting pelted. The character River Song is awful now though.

Catherine Tate is also quite nice.

Sylvester McCoy was w**k and Ace was abysmal.

Edited by DA Baracus

Making my way through the first season of Matt Smith, some great episodes. The van gogh one was outstanding. Smith is good, not great. I'd probably have a better opinion of him if he wasn't preceeded by such a great Doctor. Oh and Karen Gillan is fucking tasty. Very nice

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

Had a poor start, but his final season was really good.

Both he and Colin Baker we're let down by some weak stories, but amid them there was some decent stuff.

Also having watched the 2 hour special on all the Doctors, seeing the introduction of Colin Baker as The Doctor, the basis of that alone would have made me put my foot through the TV if something like that had happened in the present.

That was pretty much what killed off Doctor Who for me originally. Grew up with Tom Baker and Peter Davidson, and all of a sudden the Doctor is this total twat with a gay tramps duvet cover for a coat.

Tried my best to like him, but looking back you could tell the BBC had had enough by then. The stories were mostly awful, the special effects were so bad. Also becoming a teenager and an obsession with football getting worse, It was very uncool to watch the programme then.

McCoy, Langford and Ace pretty much made me hate the programme after that.

Loved the new Eccelston stuff, and really enjoyed Tennent until that fucking Cartherine Tate arrived. Again, I left it behind. Missed the whole Amy Pond/River Song stuff but Louise-Colman has brought me back in, just in time for the 50th.

Just got the Virgin Media TiVo box installed, and there is a shit load of classic episodes on demand, been great revisiting Tom Baker and seeing the proper older stuff with Troughton and Pertwee thoroughly for the first time. Currently working my way through the Three Doctors.

Would also like to add, thanks to SGMilne for his doctor who blogs, which have also helped get me interested again.

Can't wait for Peter Fucking Capaldi.

Making my way through the first season of Matt Smith, some great episodes. The van gogh one was outstanding. Smith is good, not great. I'd probably have a better opinion of him if he wasn't preceeded by such a great Doctor. Oh and Karen Gillan is fucking tasty. Very nice

I'm out of step again, thought the van Gogh one was the worst of the series (especially the last few minutes). Eleventh Hour, Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone, Amy's Choice and one or two others were all very good though.

Had a poor start, but his final season was really good.

Both he and Colin Baker we're let down by some weak stories, but amid them there was some decent stuff.

Yeah. McCoy and Ace were okay when they had good material to work with.

Edited by Yoss

Yeah. McCoy and Ace were okay when they had good material to work with.

Ace really gripped my shit. Hated her.

Had actually forgot how much, but then was reminded during the 50th celebrations.

I had always like Sylvester McCoy when growing up, should never have been given the Doctor's job though. As for his pretend weegie accent in Still Game... he's originally from Dunoon so shouldn't have been too hard for him.