Black Mirror

Al B

I watched this last night, and spent about an hour and a half on it, though it felt longer.  I got into it, but had to go back a few times.  I was underwhelmed by almost all of the endings that I came across.  I don't know if I care enough about it to go back and choose the other kind of cereal. 
Yeah. About the same. I finished it up on what is apparently the least seen ending but was underwhelmed. It might pave the way for a more coherent interactive type series in future. I watched it because Black Mirror is fucking brilliant, but wont be watching it again I dont think.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched striking vipers.

Interesting... Certainly did not foresee that story arc from that synopsis.

Not one of the best but a solid mid table in the Black Mirror league table. Thought the actress playing Theo was outstanding.

I've only watched Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too. I thought it was average for black mirror so marginally better than most stuff on tv and netflix. I'll try to put off watching the other two for a while so I'm not waiting as long for the next series.

Edited by derrybiy

Thought this season was a bit meh tbh. Didn't come away at the end of any of the episodes with the usual Black Mirror feeling of despair.

Yep same

I thought Smithereens was pretty good and Striking Vipers was ok but didn’t like the final episode at all.

I’m probably gonna go back and rewatch the old seasons now.

I thought it was a bit meh as well tbh but probably because I was always waiting for a big twist at the end of each episode. They were all decent enough watches but I was gunning for a Shut Up And Dance type ending in at least one. 

Edited by Louis Litt

A bit underwhelming. No really unique and interesting concepts that makes Black Mirror the programme it is.

I wonder if they were contracted to get a season out. I thought the writing was a bit rushed, I kept waiting for a big twist in each episode and it never materialised.

Thought Smithereens was the closest to "normal" drama of the three, and hence I'd rate the other two higher. Not that it was unwatchable, but you expect different from BM and this didn't, imho, deliver on that score.  Vipers was a really good exploration of IRL/Avatar confusion, and didn't pan out as I (or, I expect, most) expected. Ashley Too was excellent, only fly in the ointment was a wee animated Billy Ray Cyrus growling, "put on the wig" in a dark corner of my subconscious.

• 1 month later...

Only just watched the third instalment of series 5 due to watching all of Line of duty in the last few weeks.

Striking vipers - decent concept, a bit weird as you’d expect but nothing special by BM standards. Won’t watch again or give it another moment of thought in my life after this post.

Smithereens - Enjoyed watching the episode at face value but f**k knows why it was an episode of black mirror or what the thinking was behind the entire concept. Felt like it was totally out of place compared to all other episodes.

Rachel, Jack and Ashley too - Excellent episode and exactly what black mirror is all about IMO highlighting the worrying way in which we look at celebrities with a bit of creepy technology thrown in for good measure. Ashley too would make a wonderful masturbatory aid also.

I just watched Striking Vipers lastnight. Will watch the next two soon.

I think I agree generally.... Exploring the potential of VR and how we might interact with it and issues it might throw up is very Black Mirror. The execution of it was all just a little bit by the book though... I did enjoy it. It just wasnt like a "I need to talk about this with someone" episode.

Smithereens lastnight.

A good enough episode, but again very standard stuff in the Black Mirror world. It reflects my own views on social media, but a scathing assessment of modern social media obsession is nothing new for Black Mirror. Could be considered a wee bit of a phoning it in episode. Striking Vipers gave nore food for thought than Smithereens did.

I don’t think Smithereens was standard black mirror and was more like an episode of some standard crime drama on the BBC, I really don’t think it fit in with any other episode of BM at all.

I think they had one good episode with Rachel, Jack and Ashley too and then run out of time and threw the other too together. There’s quite a few pish episodes over all the series if I’m honest.