Black Mirror

Al B

The ludicrous premise of the the third one is the idea that a cartoon character would be able to stand for election. It's so beyond the realms of possibility that it makes the entire story a nonsense from the off. The one attempt at getting over this, with the single statement of, "Do you think Screaming Lord Sutch was his real name?", was completely feeble.

It was incredibly similar to the Prime Minister and the pig one that opened the first three episodes for its lack of even remote possibility. One of Black Mirror's strengths is the disturbing thought that we're not too far away from the things suggested becoming reality. These two episodes would be more suited to a series of the Comic Strip.

A guy dressed as a penguin stood for election somewhere last time around and got more votes than the Lib Dem candidate.

Also most of the episode was a statement against social media, taken to the extreme to prove it's point.

Also do you have no imagination? Were you raging at the first episode of this series, which features something that will never happen because it's impossible?

The ludicrous premise of the the third one is the idea that a cartoon character would be able to stand for election. It's so beyond the realms of possibility that it makes the entire story a nonsense from the off. The one attempt at getting over this, with the single statement of, "Do you think Screaming Lord Sutch was his real name?", was completely feeble.

It was incredibly similar to the Prime Minister and the pig one that opened the first three episodes for its lack of even remote possibility. One of Black Mirror's strengths is the disturbing thought that we're not too far away from the things suggested becoming reality. These two episodes would be more suited to a series of the Comic Strip.

That is one of my favourite episodes of Black Mirror. It's not necessarily the plausibility that makes this series so good, it's the grim reflection of our society that it portrays. In that episode you have the Prime minister fucking a pig and it being broadcast across all channels and everyone ​is watching it, with people even congregating so that they can watch it together. We wouldn't sit round and watch bestiality as a hobby, but when it's a successful man with a considerable amount of power that's being forced into committing such a demoralising and demonising act then it becomes something of a circus. The point was that if we didn't have this attitude of wanting to witness the successful and powerful fail, then he wouldn't have had to f**k the pig, the princess would have been found before it even got as far as the broadcast starting.

If such an scenario were to occur, there is no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of the population would, at least initially, revel in the opportunity to see it, and that is the deeply unsettling reality.

Edited by bullywee

It's not that stupid, Hartlepool FC's mascot stood in a local council election, and won.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

A guy dressed as a penguin stood for election somewhere last time around and got more votes than the Lib Dem candidate.

Also most of the episode was a statement against social media, taken to the extreme to prove it's point.

Also do you have no imagination? Were you raging at the first episode of this series, which features something that will never happen because it's impossible?

The guy may have been dressed as a penguin, but he was standing as himself.

I wasn't raging at the first episode but I do think it fell away when the android part came into it. The stuff leading up to it was eerily all quite plausible.

It's not that stupid, Hartlepool FC's mascot stood in a local council election, and won.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1965569.stm

Just like the guy in the penguin outfit, the mascot may have been elected but it's the guy in the mascot outfit that is mayor. An animated character with a a whole bunch of people behind it will never be involved in any election. And the idea that a Paxman style interviewer would sit there while an animation swore and.... I don't want to take this too seriously. I prefer it when there are reasonable elements of reality or possible reality. If you take that as me being narrow minded then fair enough.

You cant say that on here...you'll get shot down in flames!!

He understood it though. And he's also explained his reasons for not liking it. Whilst I don't agree that it was 'crap', I can understand where he was coming from, and can respect such an opinion.

You, on the other hand, would struggle to explain the concept of 'Take Me Out'.

• 1 year later...