Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

I have a bit of an issue with the suggestion that the SPL clubs have passed the buck in this situation.

Had Newco decided not to apply for the share transfer, the SFL would still have had a decision to make. And let's be honest, any SFL chairman who didn't think they would have some sort of say in this must believe everything he reads in the Record.

By the middle of last week it seemed fairly likely that there wouldn't be enough support for the 'compromise' and nothing that's happened in the last 5-6 days seems to have changed that. It seems far-fetched to think 16+ clubs are going to back it now.

Quicker they resolve who enters SFL3, and the quicker the club and sponsor financial situaiton starts getting dealt with, the better.

Jealous? Oh...my...god...when will you lot get it? No-one is jealous, you're generally despised, were long before this, no-one aspires to be like you, no-one wishes to be you.

Yes, you read it right - he really did say we were jealous of Rangers.

Now obviously, nobody's jealous of Rangers right now, but the idea that we ever were is laughable.

If I'd wanted to be a Rangers fan when they were winning everything, guess what I'd have done? That's right - become a Rangers fan.

I didn't.

I agree with the last bit however:

Serious point - can't see what harm it does for people to continue to bombard their own clubs and the footballing authorities with their e-mails and letters.

Less serious point - I have the choice between posting on here about 20 times a day or working harder; it's a no-brainer

None at all, and commend the fans that have taken the time to do as such. I believe it was more thinking that we were going to get shafted at the last minute, before it worked out in right manner.

I couldn't agree more, it scares me how much more often I post at work than I do at home :ph34r:

Young Reportedly in BBC Pay Cut Talks

The BBC Scotland football reporter and pundit, Chick Young, is reportedly in talks about taking a pay cut.

Reports the Daily Record today: "It is understood the football pundit has been offered a drastically reduced salary for his TV, radio and online work as managers look to cut costs."

The article quotes Young, as saying: "There are cuts across the BBC and they are hardly going to give me more money when they are giving people less."

£6 an hour ???? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I have a bit of an issue with the suggestion that the SPL clubs have passed the buck in this situation.

Had Newco decided not to apply for the share transfer, the SFL would still have had a decision to make. And let's be honest, any SFL chairman who didn't think they would have some sort of say in this must believe everything he reads in the Record.

It's not the mere fact of the SFL having to take a vote - it's the fact that the SPL, having been unable to vote for Newco, are now heavily pressurising the SFL into bailing them out by taking the decision that they were unable to.

(Or at least, the SPL's Chief Executive is applying such pressure. If he's gone off-piste and is acting without the authority of his member clubs then I'd have expected to have heard some of those clubs having something to say about it by now.)

Well, they kind of have and they kind of haven't passed the buck on football's Mr Creosote.

mr-creosote.jpg

Teams that leave the SPL invariably wind up in the SFL, that is the case. However, the SPL clubs were invited, mindful of commercial pressures and the anger of fans, to vote on keeping Mr Creosote FC in the 'top flight' (there's a phrase that has lost any meaning) should they wish. They didn't, so in a manner of speaking they dumped the overfed, overindulged corpus onto the SFL to deal with. Like the rider with the pale horse in the Hilly Bibble, Stewart Regan tagged along 'to take care of things' ... and hell followed with him.

Edited by Dr Koop

Because its 60k every year not 60k for one year.Its the old quandry I can give you 150,000 now or 60k for the next 10 years.Choose now!!. This is why its not straight forward for these clubs given the threat of the settlement withdrawal.

It's a contractual arrangement, which the SPL are bound to honour.

If the SPL were to refuse to honour their contractual obligations. then the SFL could, quite rightly, take them to court, and if necessary, have the SPL liquidated in the end if they refused to pay up.

Tommos latest tweet

alex thomson ‏@alextomo

Having seen STV list I can say it is definitely 14 - 3 pro D3. At least one of the 'undecideds' is 100% opposed to D1.

"There may be trouble ahead ..."

All of this Sevco in the first division has been nothing other than spectulation with no real hard fact to back this up.

Except for an affidavit by the head of the SFA that this was non-negotiable, you mean?

Right now, the statements by the clubs are generally encouraging. Enough SFL teams have made public statements to the effect that the Newco should be placed in the Third to make installation in the First impossible, assuming that nobody has a change of heart. But until the vote is cast (and even after, in case Regan is actually stupid enough to follow through with his empty SPL2 threat), you'd be foolish not to worry.

If the SPL were to refuse to honour their contractual obligations. then the SFL could, quite rightly, take them to court, and if necessary, have the SPL liquidated in the end if they refused to pay up.

popcorn.gif

Although the situation appears to be that if SPL is left with under £6M in the pot before pay-outs it would reduce.

(Or at least, the SPL's Chief Executive is applying such pressure. If he's gone off-piste and is acting without the authority of his member clubs then I'd have expected to have heard some of those clubs having something to say about it by now.)

Certainly, if he has gone it alone, you'd expect clubs to call him on it or the SPL Board to reign him in.

A Spartans spokesman said yesterday

"As it stands there is no current vacancy in the SFL. But it’s clearly something that is changing on a daily basis and is a real moveable feast. We are watching with interest as we are keen to play at as high a level as we can. Make no bones about it, as a club we are very ambitious and want to get in the league. We will have our licence shortly, our ground meets the criteria and we have three years of accounts so everything is in place. We have space for 3500 fans and once hosted Manchester United. We also have 600 kids wearing our strip every weekend"

SPARTANS director of football Andy Nixon

________________________________________________________________________________-

This will grow legs. More work for m'learned friends if Spivco 5088 go into the 3rd ?

Yes, you read it right - he really did say we were jealous of Rangers.

Now obviously, nobody's jealous of Rangers right now, but the idea that we ever were is laughable.

If I'd wanted to be a Rangers fan when they were winning everything, guess what I'd have done? That's right - become a Rangers fan.

I didn't.

I'd never want to watch a team that would win every week. It must be utter shite to do that. Aye, obviously, I want Raith to go into every game and come out and win, but the game is far more entertaining when you go in not knowing you're team will walk over the opposition as you have a budget which is over ten times their size. I love the feeling that my team has deserved a win when leaving the game. With all due respect, fans of the team formerly known as Rangers fans will never get the pleasure that lower league fans get simply through being honest, average teams.

From today's Herald. Worth a full quote I think :-

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Morton chairman launches scathing attack on Scottish football's top brass

DOUGLAS RAE, the Morton chairman, has sent a strongly worded letter to the chairmen of each Scottish Football League club criticising what Stewart Regan, the Scottish Football Association chief executive, and his counterpart at the Scottish Premier League, Neil Doncaster, said at last week's SFL meeting.

Representatives from the 30 lower-league clubs came together at Hampden last Tuesday and were addressed by Regan and Doncaster regarding the implications of voting Rangers newco into the Irn-Bru First or Third Divisions.

In his letter yesterday, Rae lambasted the contribution made by Doncaster, in particular, saying he "seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road".

Doncaster had outlined that SFL clubs would put at risk six top-flight clubs unless they voted to install Rangers in the first division. They are scheduled to meet to decide the issue at a special general meeting on Friday.

The Morton chairman reiterated the assertion made by third-division club Clyde that Regan had lied about the SFA's stance on a proposal to install Rangers in the SPL, a motion defeated last week by 10-1 in a vote by top-flight clubs. He also alighted upon a common theme in lamenting the existence of three governing bodies in Scottish football, expressing a wish that the authorities be merged.

"Scottish Football League clubs are being placed in an intolerable position by the SFA and the overwhelming decision by the SPL to refuse to admit newco Rangers into the Premier League," wrote Rae, whose club will be represented on Friday by chief executive Gillian Donaldson, as Rae remains on holiday. "I was very disappointed indeed with the input of the two visiting officials at the SFL meeting, which lasted some five hours. The visitors were Stuart [sic] Regan, chief executive of the SFA and Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPL.

"Neil Doncaster was a man who didn't appreciate that the current problem relative to newco Rangers, and which league they should be playing in next season, is exclusively the problem of the SPL and little do to with the SFL.

"Neil was totally unable to get his clubs to accept the decision going forward that he wanted. Following that mammoth failure, Neil now expects the SFL clubs to bail him out, which would mean SFL clubs ignoring the views of their supporters. Never have I known supporters to be more single-minded than how they feel over this newco Rangers drama. Quite frankly, Neil Doncaster seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road.

"The SPL CEO made scant contribution other than trying to impress clubs that if we did not vote newco Rangers into the SFL Division One, financial disaster of epic proportions would be the experience many clubs would suffer. His forecast was that up to six SPL clubs could go 'bust' if the SFL clubs did not follow his advice to back newco Rangers."

Rae was only marginally more impressed with the presentation of Regan, who last week delivered a withering forecast of the state of Scottish football should Rangers newco not be allowed to enter the first division.

Last week Clyde revealed that Regan had intended to block Rangers' entry to the SPL should clubs have opened the door to them, although it stated that his comment had been delivered in such a way that it came across as "less than an absolute statement".

However, Rae indicates he pressed Regan on his comment, and he reiterated that the governing body would have blocked Rangers' path into the top flight. He also explained that such a decision was kept from the clubs for "greater effect".

The letter continued: "The most concerning point about Regan's presentation was he departed truth as he became increasingly desperate to get his viewpoints accepted. When asked what would have happened if SPL clubs had voted newco Rangers entry to the Premier League, he stated that the SFA would block it. I asked why that point had not been made known to the clubs prior to the meeting. Stuart stated that sometimes points are withheld until the last moment for greater effect. I asked, through the chair, if I could ask Regan to repeat what he had said about 'blocking'. He responded by repeating what he had said minutes before; namely that the SFA would block any result that would see newco Rangers entering the SPL.

"The following day Stuart countermanded in the press what he had told the SFL meeting the previous day.

"It is very disappointing the SFA chief executive was unable to give a truthful response to SFL chairmen."

Rae then revealed his desire for Scottish football to be governed by a single body, headed by current SFL chief executive David Longmuir.

"Scottish football is in crisis and needs a man of honesty, vision and strength at the helm - David Longmuir. David addressed the meeting last week and gave a clear picture of how he saw the way ahead for our clubs - and was the only one of these three speakers who spoke with clarity and which he managed to do without misleading the chairmen.

"I am sure I am not the only chairman who considers it absurd to have three organisations looking after Scottish football. There should be one organisation looking after all aspects of our game."

The SPL and SFA chose not to comment on Rae's letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am Morton !!!

It's not the mere fact of the SFL having to take a vote - it's the fact that the SPL, having been unable to vote for Newco, are now heavily pressurising the SFL into bailing them out by taking the decision that they were unable to.

I understand that point entirely, but even before the suggestion that there was any pressure, there was this idea that the SPL were effectively forcing the SFL teams into making the decision because they didn't have the balls too.

Even Douglas Rae came out with this

Scottish Football League clubs are being placed in an intolerable position by the SFA and the overwhelming decision by the SPL to refuse to admit newco Rangers into the Premier League

Regardless of any other reasons (fan pressure etc), the SPL clubs effectively refused the application on the grounds of their own rules. It is now up to the SFL teams to do the same.

I suppose it just needs to be put down to pisspoor reporting, like 99% of this story!

That's the thing that causes some concern. The 'It wisnae me a big Cockwomble did it an' ran awa' defence is unlikely to work if a more forensic analysis shows the SPL's hand on this. Bottom line for me will be the 'deal' put before the SFL clubs on Friday; if it includes and additional playy-off place between SFL1 and the SPL it will stink of collusion and behind-closed-door deals.

I agree with you completely. It's absoltue dereliction of duty from some SFL chairmen and fans to bleat about this being an SPL problem foisted upon them. That is only the case if they vote the wrong way.

The SPL have made their decision. That was the extent of their involvement in this process. They now no longer have a dog in the fight, whether they privately want Newco to be in Div One or not.

The SFL chairmen have a decision to make. It's a simple one, made more difficult by the threats and inducements offered by Reagan and Doncaster. They should stick to their guns.