Islam Feruz

It's great to see young players like Feruz and Harper at top clubs of the world. However, 2 young kids won't change everything, they might never make it when they get older. If we were wanting to see true progress of the national team, we would have to see more of young guys like these playing at top clubs at an early age. Don't get me wrong, maybe they will go on and become top-class footballers, but the chances of more young players making it and becoming top players at top clubs will have to increase, which will take time. if we had 15-20 Feruzes or Harpers dotted around the best teams int he world, I think we could get really excited then. We'll just have to wait and see.

Having 2 extremely highly rated youth players at very top clubs is amazing - One of which has signed a deal taking him past 21, and the other who has been playing very well at a level, at least, above his age for years, and fans want him involved with the first team at 17.

We have not had such bright prospects for as long as I can remember.

Feruz and Harper will both make it at a very decent level, maybe not with their current clubs though. If they were just normal youth players at these top clubs, like Alex Davey, then I'd be less confident of them making it, however that isn't the case they are both very, very, highly rated by their clubs. So one would guess if they didn't make it with these top, top, teams then they would still make it at a high level.

Feruz needs to get out on loan - Fulham next season > Heard it here first.

Harper - If he continues his development he could/should be amazing for Scotland.

Davey - Needs to get out in loan - Championship - Could save our centre half problem; might not.

Feruz needs to screw the nut soon, noticed a few weeks ago that he had been "suspended" from playing by Chelsea for a couple of games because of some stupid tweets about inter-racial marriage and has led to him shutting his twitter account (again) probably at the behest of the club (again), his last 3 or 4 games since then seem to have been with the youths rather than the reserves so it looks like he may be being punished by being move down a level also.

Feruz needs to screw the nut soon, noticed a few weeks ago that he had been "suspended" from playing by Chelsea for a couple of games because of some stupid tweets about inter-racial marriage and has led to him shutting his twitter account (again) probably at the behest of the club (again), his last 3 or 4 games since then seem to have been with the youths rather than the reserves so it looks like he may be being punished by being move down a level also.

I think this might be more to do with the Youth Cup coming into it's final stages. There are a few other players doing the same, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Is he meant to be Scottish Footballs great hope?

Jeez, we really are fucked. I'd be genuinely surprised if we ever see him play in the Premier League or equivalent level.

Just when you thought Hamish Husband couldn't make any more of an arse of himself.

In fairness I don't see a lot wrong with what Feruz did. It's shabby tabloid journalism by a terrible newspaper trying to pick out their next Mario Balotelli. However Hamish Husband put this view across like a grandstand p***k.

When I hear about players being fantastic for the youth teams and being "the next big thing", I instantly think of Adam Coakley.

Adam Coakley had apparently scored for fun throughout our entire youth set up. Everyone was talking of him as being our next big youth player.

However, upon playing for the first team we found out he couldn't score with a hooker.

The moral of the story is, wait until you've actually seen them play at an a decent level.

When I hear about players being fantastic for the youth teams and being "the next big thing", I instantly think of Adam Coakley.

Adam Coakley had apparently scored for fun throughout our entire youth set up. Everyone was talking of him as being our next big youth player.

However, upon playing for the first team we found out he couldn't score with a hooker.

The moral of the story is, wait until you've actually seen them play at an a decent level.

Not disputing that at all as he's obviously went on to to the square root of fuckall...but if I remember right I think there was a story going around at the time that he was let go because his knees were made of chalk and flour.

John Fleck and particularly Steven Lennon are examples of over-hype too. I remember seeing Steven Lennon absolutely destroy the Ross County under-whatevers. He looked like Messi. A year down the line and he was farmed out to Partick. Could barely trap a ball and clearly technically not up to it. There's only so much you can tell from guys lobbing five feet-tall goalkeepers from the half way line.

I'm not saying this will happen with Feruz. He may well be the uber prospect people are making him out to be. But all I've seen of him is 1. He's extremely immature. 2. He's very one-footed. Nether of which will matter five years down the line, but until he's played at a high level, as you say, we can't judge him.

This is far too sensible for the Tartan Army subforum. Don't you know that Feruz and some kid from Real Madrid are the future of our national team? The fact that they haven't played a senior game at any level between them is of no consequence whatsoever, they will definitely be good enough for Scotland.

This is far too sensible for the Tartan Army subforum.  Don't you know that Feruz and some kid from Real Madrid are the future of our national team?  The fact that they haven't played a senior game at any level between them is of no consequence whatsoever, they will definitely be good enough for Scotland.

I know what you're saying, but ffs we need some hope to cling onto at the moment. Our squad is mostly full of journeymen and cloggers, so we can only hope that the next gen will spit out one or two top talents.

There will be people wanking themselves into a coma about Feruz and Harper without even having seen a minute of either player at any level. I'm not saying the guys on this thread are doing that, but there are certainly folk who will be.