whisky lovers

3 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I noticed the al convenience store had balvennie portwood . I think it was for £55. 

I will check again next time I'm in ,

If so that's literally half price. Dive on it.

Is aberfeldy a yey or ney?
got given the 12 as a pressie. Im sure Ive had it before but I cant remember if I liked it or not. It was either that or the Glenrothes I wasnt a fan of but I think it was the latter. Dont know whether to open it or not or keep as a shit gift to someone.

Monkeys mouthwash

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats waiting for an update of the whiskies I tried so here's the list.

Balvenie Triple cask 12yo
Benriach 15yo Pedro Ximenez
Balvenie 21yo Portwood
Glenlivet 18yo
Dalmore Cigar malt reserve
Macallan 12yo Double cask
Benromach 25yo
Kilkerran 12yo
Benriach 20yo
Kilchoman Port Cask Matured 

The best (or at least the one I enjoyed most) was the Balvenie Portwood, whilst the least impressive was the Dalmore Cigar Reserve. However all of them were very enjoyable.

I'd never heard of Kilkerran (I think it may be made by Springbank) and only had it as a guy at the bar reccomended it.

The most remarkable was the Kilchoman port Cask as it's only 3 yo but was easily a match for most of the whiskies on the list.

Edited by Ziggy
Drunk

I was away on business last year and the hotel I was billeted in had the Glenlivet 15, 18, and 21. So naturally, me and my co-worker skipped dinner and instead worked our way through the ages and stuck it on the expenses. The 18 was the only one I was disappointed with.

Dalmore are up there with Macallan in terms of overpricing ordinary whisky and it just goes mental into the higher aged stuff like that. 

Dalmore 18 is up there with my favourite dram but when you're into territory like the constellation batches then I'd agree with you.

Wonder what it tastes like...

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Dalmore 18 is up there with my favourite dram but when you're into territory like the constellation batches then I'd agree with you.

Wonder what it tastes like...

Probably pretty good but would not be surprised to find something better at 1/35th of the price. For comparison, the 40yo Glenfarclas is £675 on the whisky exchange, the 50yo sharply up at £1850 but it's night and day on how they price it. 

They are the cheap end of the scale though and probably the best value bottles from the 17 upwards. 

That's why I get my Dalmore's through people I know that work there... normally around 2/3rds of the price 8)

I daresay it's the same with most distilleries TBH though, for a while I could get Balblair cheaper too.

I think 20 single malts will be more common in future.

Supermarket buying power, Whisky undergoing a self correction with the likes of maccallan and glenfiddich having committed to massive over production and challenging export conditions unless post Brexit trade deals can be negotiated quickly.

There will be a few casualties but hopefully the days of distilleries pumping out a new NAS or port/Sherry finish every year will be done.

Ardbeg 10 yr old down from £47 to £23.50 in tesco "to clear", bought the last three bottles in Alloa

Interesting. Will pop round later to mine. Need another peaty one for my Cask.

Picked up Rattrays Islay Cask today at the good spirits co. £33. Will probably crack it open later....

Ardbeg 10 yr old down from £47 to £23.50 in tesco "to clear", bought the last three bottles in Alloa

Sold out in my local tesco as well.

e354d16cc29a73abe45da992be7e2c5b.gif

They did have their Tesco Finest 12 yo speyside single malt reduced to clear at £12.50 so grabbed a bottle of that. Not tested as yet.