whisky lovers

33 minutes ago, Lex said:

Bunnahabhain 12 with a splash of water really hits the spot on a 3 point Saturday.

I'm about to pour a Naked Grouse or three whilst watching the imminent Sportscene highlights* on a no-defeat Saturday** 

*yes, I know I can just watch them online tomorrrow, but this re-found Saturday novelty reminds me of the 90s where as a kid you'd go to a game and try and spot yourself in the crowd that night.

**Brechin game was postponed

I’m going to go against the consensus on here and say I think Glenfarclas is overrated.
Having a little tasting just now of a few variations and whilst it’s undoubtedly decent enough value in terms of price, I just find most of their stuff generally quite bland, and feel like because of the price a lot of people overrate how nice the spirit actually is e.g. the 21 is nice, but absolutely nothing special.
I'm with you with the exception of the 15 which has a bit more bite.

I think their pricing is grounded at a time when others are taking the p!ss.

On 12/12/2020 at 20:58, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m going to go against the consensus on here and say I think Glenfarclas is overrated.

Having a little tasting just now of a few variations and whilst it’s undoubtedly decent enough value in terms of price, I just find most of their stuff generally quite bland, and feel like because of the price a lot of people overrate how nice the spirit actually is e.g. the 21 is nice, but absolutely nothing special.

I think their price points are why they are rated tbh. Whilst they may not reach the complexities of other distilleries drams they are right up there for your bang for your buck.

I also like the fact they seem stick to their bottling/labelling style to keep in with tradition and they don't come out with some ridiculous edition every month.

Is there a "science" behind what whiskies suit a drop of water? I will try it with most I have but usually find it makes the smell and taste less interesting and just more alcohol like (if that makes sense). But I had a Bowmore 18 the other day and thought the water really brought more flavours and depth out...

11 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

Is there a "science" behind what whiskies suit a drop of water? I will try it with most I have but usually find it makes the smell and taste less interesting and just more alcohol like (if that makes sense). But I had a Bowmore 18 the other day and thought the water really brought more flavours and depth out...

Yes there is.

Apparently guaiacol molecules are pushed to the surface of the whisky by adding water which creates a more intense smell/flavour near the surface. Only works to a certain concentration though. Too much water and they are forced back to the bottom.

Basically you should be testing by adding drops at a time rather than running under the tap. 

Remember that non cask strength whisky had already been diluted, sometimes reducing the alcohol concentration by as much as 30%

48 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yes there is.

Apparently guaiacol molecules are pushed to the surface of the whisky by adding water which creates a more intense smell/flavour near the surface. Only works to a certain concentration though. Too much water and they are forced back to the bottom.

Basically you should be testing by adding drops at a time rather than running under the tap. 

Remember that non cask strength whisky had already been diluted, sometimes reducing the alcohol concentration by as much as 30%

That was informative, thanks.

But not strictly what I was wanting to know...!

I'm intrigued whether certain types of whisky (be it region, cask etc.) suit a drop of water compared to other types? I'm guessing stronger bottlings would have more room to "improve" but would it be possible to guess how a whisky will suit a drop of water, or is it just a case of trying? If it's the latter, that's perfectly fine, always enjoy the research!

1 hour ago, The Holiday Song said:

That was informative, thanks.

But not strictly what I was wanting to know...!

I'm intrigued whether certain types of whisky (be it region, cask etc.) suit a drop of water compared to other types? I'm guessing stronger bottlings would have more room to "improve" but would it be possible to guess how a whisky will suit a drop of water, or is it just a case of trying? If it's the latter, that's perfectly fine, always enjoy the research!

It's the latter. Drink as much whisky as you can in as many different ways as you can.

Unpopular opinions but other than Islay peat bombs I think regional difference are sometimes overstated, and indeed other peat bombs are available.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's the latter. Drink as much whisky as you can in as many different ways as you can.

Unpopular opinions but other than Islay peat bombs I think regional difference are sometimes overstated, and indeed other peat bombs are available.

Absolutely agree with this. Ben Riach do some very decent peaty numbers.

On 04/12/2020 at 22:06, the tungston weasel said:

Got a bottle of this for 23 pounds from the local tesco. Good enough to make me really want to try the 12 yo. Maby a little young but really sherried, lots of dried fruit and a bit of vanilla or toffee on the nose.

The taste is quite sweet with lots of christmasssy type spices then a lingering vanilla toffee.

Only down side is as my missus is isolating at home so I've got to stay at my work digs and all I have is a wine glass.

Look forward to trying it in a glencairn. 20201204_215730.jpg

You can quite often pick this up for £26 in your local Keystore if you have one near you. 

Hello folks. I’m new on here and indeed ,new to whisky. I had the virus October time and typically, my sense of taste was significantly affected. I like a drink, not a fussy drinker but had never taken to whisky. Things have changed!  Shortly after getting a taste for it my other half bought me a bottle of Ardmore. It was my first peaty dram, the bottle tells me it’s “lightly pleated” and whilst palatable I found it a little overpowering. Could anyone suggest something gentler, more entry level, if indeed such a thing exists.

Hello folks. I’m new on here and indeed ,new to whisky. I had the virus October time and typically, my sense of taste was significantly affected. I like a drink, not a fussy drinker but had never taken to whisky. Things have changed!  Shortly after getting a taste for it my other half bought me a bottle of Ardmore. It was my first peaty dram, the bottle tells me it’s “lightly pleated” and whilst palatable I found it a little overpowering. Could anyone suggest something gentler, more entry level, if indeed such a thing exists.
What were you enjoying that you got the taste for?

Entry Level has lots to choose from if you’re looking to avoid the peat. My first few bottles were fairly standard and i pretty much started on the following.

Glenfiddich 12
Glenmorangie 10
Cardhu 12 or Gold Reserve
Aberfeldy 12
Aberlour 10 or 12
Highland Park 12
Tamnavulin

You will always find at least 1 or 2 of them below £30 and they will all be relatively easy to drink for a starter.

On 04/12/2020 at 22:06, the tungston weasel said:

Got a bottle of this for 23 pounds from the local tesco. Good enough to make me really want to try the 12 yo. Maby a little young but really sherried, lots of dried fruit and a bit of vanilla or toffee on the nose.

The taste is quite sweet with lots of christmasssy type spices then a lingering vanilla toffee.

Only down side is as my missus is isolating at home so I've got to stay at my work digs and all I have is a wine glass.

Look forward to trying it in a glencairn. 20201204_215730.jpg

Managed to grab a bottle of the 12 y.o. For £30 on Amazon yesterday but I see it’s gone back up again today. Sorry...