whisky lovers

26 minutes ago, Scosha said:

IMG_6775.thumb.jpeg.0195c955fc715840857543c8d73b41df.jpeg

£45 including postage from Master of Malt. A proper sherry bomb and excellent value for money - seen a few comments about it being a Craigellachie but who knows. 

Ordered on your say-so, with a Templeton Rye into the bargain since iv been looking to sample a rye for ages and never got round to it. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Ordered on your say-so, with a Templeton Rye into the bargain since iv been looking to sample a rye for ages and never got round to it. 

Coincidentally I just finished my bottle of Bulleit Rye tonight along with a Wild Turkey 101 and a Tomatin 14 Port Cask. There was only a dram left in each and as I'm moving soon I can't take my collection with me.

A rye whisky is a pleasurable experience although have always meant to try Templeton since it seeing it mentioned in Harry Bosch books but never got round to it. I'll look forward to a review please.

22 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Coincidentally I just finished my bottle of Bulleit Rye tonight along with a Wild Turkey 101 and a Tomatin 14 Port Cask. There was only a dram left in each and as I'm moving soon I can't take my collection with me.

A rye whisky is a pleasurable experience although have always meant to try Templeton since it seeing it mentioned in Harry Bosch books but never got round to it. I'll look forward to a review please.

If it’s the 4YO Templeton I’d take Bulleit Rye over it; too sweet for me. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

If it’s the 4YO Templeton I’d take Bulleit Rye over it; too sweet for me. 

6 year old Templeton is what I ordered. Was only 21 quid. If i'm being honest, I just pretty much picked the first Rye I seen and threw it in there since I was ordering and paying delivery anyway 

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

6 year old Templeton is what I ordered. Was only 21 quid. If i'm being honest, I just pretty much picked the first Rye I seen and threw it in there since I was ordering and paying delivery anyway 

Oh that's fine; I thought it'd have been more expensive than that in the UK. Even the 4YO wouldn't owe you anything at 20 quid TBF. 

Picked up this in my local Co-op for £16 and pence. Blended malt from Arran, Islay and Orkney bottled at 46.8% and non-chill filtered. Not tried it yet but might grab another at that price. Not sure if its country wide deal or just reduced to clear at my local store.

unnamed.jpg

34 minutes ago, McGlovin' said:

Picked up this in my local Co-op for £16 and pence. Blended malt from Arran, Islay and Orkney bottled at 46.8% and non-chill filtered. Not tried it yet but might grab another at that price. Not sure if its country wide deal or just reduced to clear at my local store.

unnamed.jpg

That is a sensational deal. Very good stuff that. I've had other Rock Island (formerly Rock Oyster) variations and they've all been great.

9 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That is a sensational deal. Very good stuff that. I've had other Rock Island (formerly Rock Oyster) variations and they've all been great.

They had about 12 of them left. Probably should have picked up a couple of bottles at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

First visit to the Pot Still tonight. 

First Glenfarclas. Went with a Glenfarclas 105 cask strength. Which confirms I still have working taste buds. A beautiful whisky, explosive on the first taste and then it has a long succession of wonderful flavours. I’d risk sounding like Willie Wonka if I started rhyming them off.

Really love this pub. Lovely atmosphere. The staff know their stuff.

Due to other commitments, this visit was brief, but I’m sure I’ll be back. 

IMG_1194.jpeg

On 26/04/2024 at 23:23, Bairnardo said:

If opened, what did you think of it? 

5 minutes ago, Scosha said:

If opened, what did you think of it? 

Il have another one tonight I've had one, and I liked it, but I drank it after a Rye, and it blew my palate away. The rye was utterly insipid by comparison. It's definitely a Sherry bomb! Il get back at you later on! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Il have another one tonight I've had one, and I liked it, but I drank it after a Rye, and it blew my palate away. The rye was utterly insipid by comparison. It's definitely a Sherry bomb! Il get back at you later on! 

Got one now. It might be one of the most prominent examples for me personally of a whisky coming alive with a drop of water in it. It doesn't need it for strength but my first sip out of it before the water the flavours just felt a bit.... Trying not to be wanky here..... Crowded. Like it was dense with flavour. But a but of water just mellowed the whole thing out and left the taste lingering a bit longer to enjoy. Really nice dram and certainly feels like decent value as advertised by yourself 

Eta @Scosha quoted myself instead of you somehow

Edited by Bairnardo

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Got one now. It might be one of the most prominent examples for me personally of a whisky coming alive with a drop of water in it. It doesn't need it for strength but my first sip out of it before the water the flavours just felt a bit.... Trying not to be wanky here..... Crowded. Like it was dense with flavour. But a but of water just mellowed the whole thing out and left the taste lingering a bit longer to enjoy. Really nice dram and certainly feels like decent value as advertised by yourself 

Eta @Scosha quoted myself instead of you somehow

Nice, I know what you mean by “crowded” as I found it quite intense. I haven’t tried with water yet so will see if I get the longer finish like yourself. As you say, decent value considering the price. 

Found this when I was out in Edinburgh last week - Towsers Bar. Not your usual kind of Malt of the Month, but £33 for a 35ml shot from a £2.5k bottle was hard to turn down. Spirit was distilled in 1971 and bottled in 2004 at 40%. I was surprised to read afterwards that it was 40% as it was smooth but still had a bit of higher strength feel about it. The finish was tremendous, I made a point of not eating/drinking anything for a short while after and it was still lingering around the Linlithgow station on the train back to Glasgow :lol: 
IMG_6860.thumb.jpeg.641f8d03ed91c9a4cca3e135db55bf43.jpeg

I’d seriously recommend checking out Towsers bar, it’s a bit further out from the popular venues but well worth it. A really interesting selection of malts at reasonable prices. 

IMG_4054.thumb.jpeg.a9c26c785e80ce8536e0285d06787913.jpeg

Just picked this up from the local big chain booze barn for $15 on clearance. Reviews on it seem to be all over the shop but I figure it’s gonna have to be really bad for me to feel like I got done at 15 bucks. 

21 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

IMG_4054.thumb.jpeg.a9c26c785e80ce8536e0285d06787913.jpeg

Just picked this up from the local big chain booze barn for $15 on clearance. Reviews on it seem to be all over the shop but I figure it’s gonna have to be really bad for me to feel like I got done at 15 bucks. 

You'll find, also, that it fits nicely in the bike's bottle cage.

I might be spending $200 on whisky today. Did a quick search on Royal Lochnagar 12 - you can't get it in the US, but I wanted to see how much it's currently going for in the UK online to have my old man mule a bottle when he comes over next month - so was checking to see if it's better to have a bottle sent to him, or just send him into the shop in Buchanan Galleries. Stumbled across an auction site in the US that has a bottle of it. Current bid is $25 so I figure I can bid to $35-$40 and by the time you take in buyers premium and shipping it'll be roughly the same price. Turns out the auction site's offices - where you can pick up from - is about 3 miles from me, so no need to pay any shipping. And now I'm bidding on 5 different bottles.