whisky lovers

I was given a Bowmore 18 Oloroso & PX finish.
It’s reminds me of Lagavulin 16 but just a little sweeter but not quite as smokey.
Perfect with Xmas pudding.

I’ve got that awaiting. Good to know as someone bought me it based on me liking Lagavulin 16.

5 hours ago, Peedzy said:

This was my Christmas whisky highlight, not cracked it open yet though.

Anyone tried it?

41u2FWMcnOL._AC_US200_.jpg

Yeah Tobermory is good. Bottled at a nice high abv too and no chill filtering. That's a winner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a cardinal sin today lads, bought a bottle of Macallan Concept for a ton, in the knowledge that its auctioning for around 500 already....

Normally I dont like that sort of thing, but I wouldnt pay a ton to drink a macallan. They are becoming a gimmicky distillery for me and I will go aling for the ride if and when I get the nod re bottles that are worth coin

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Bit of a cardinal sin today lads, bought a bottle of Macallan Concept for a ton, in the knowledge that its auctioning for around 500 already....

Normally I dont like that sort of thing, but I wouldnt pay a ton to drink a macallan. They are becoming a gimmicky distillery for me and I will go aling for the ride if and when I get the nod re bottles that are worth coin

Work with a guy who won an auction to go down the Edrington Head quarters (Hp, Macallan,famous grouse) as hes a massive Highland Park fan and a very keen Collector.

Anyway whilst speaking to a blender/taster he said Macallan sent down some of their matured outruns to taste to decide whether to have them as their part of their NAS range or punt elsewhere (selectors, etc).  He wasn't impressed at all and thought they were all far too young and rough but astoundingly despite the feedback they decided to use all the barrels anyway for the range. They really are taking the piss now.

Macallan are just living off their name with the price they charge for below par, young whisky. I've had one good one that was worth the money and it was a one off that won't be released again. 

Anyway first purchase of the year for me

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glendullan/darkness-glendullan-8-year-old-oloroso-cask-finish-whisky/

I had a Darkness sample in a whisky advent calendar last month that was a 6 year old Aultmore that was sensational so I'm well up for trying another one.

Macallan are just living off their name with the price they charge for below par, young whisky. I've had one good one that was worth the money and it was a one off that won't be released again. 
Anyway first purchase of the year for me
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glendullan/darkness-glendullan-8-year-old-oloroso-cask-finish-whisky/
I had a Darkness sample in a whisky advent calendar last month that was a 6 year old Aultmore that was sensational so I'm well up for trying another one.
Yeah you are right. Dont feel guilty at all about making a few quid. Last one on whisky hammer went for 460. So I am hoping to pick up in the region of 500 notes

Aultmore 12 yo is really nice. Tried for the first time a couple of months back really liked it.

I haven’t tried that one but Viking Honour is on special at Morrisons for £25.
I think that’s a great buy.

On that note, I’ve got a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars which I got for $25. It appears to be a French market edition, as the back of the box is in French. Haven’t cracked it open yet though.

On that note, I’ve got a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars which I got for $25. It appears to be a French market edition, as the back of the box is in French. Haven’t cracked it open yet though.
I can only speak for one of the HP NAS range. Spirit of the Bear is shite.

Ahh right. Highland Park seem to be piling out the cheap shite but that might actually be ok then

Yeah. I have no idea, to be honest. I’m not a great fan of the 12, but I hadn’t seen this one before, and thought, “why the heck not?”.

There’s always good old Talisker 10 to go back to if it stinks.

Yeah. I have no idea, to be honest. I’m not a great fan of the 12, but I hadn’t seen this one before, and thought, “why the heck not?”.

Talisker 10 is frequently appearing on Amazon for decent prices these days.

On 17/01/2019 at 14:34, Savage Henry said:

I do like HP but their standard 12 the days is pretty shite, the fact it always seems on offer for about 25 quid tells you all you need to know. Would rather drink black bottle.

I do like HP but their standard 12 the days is pretty shite, the fact it always seems on offer for about 25 quid tells you all you need to know. Would rather drink black bottle.

Agreed. The 12 is your bog standard “table whisky”. It’s okay, nothing more nothing less. I’m not quite sure why it gets so much fawning over. Good marketing at some point, I guess.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Agreed. The 12 is your bog standard “table whisky”. It’s okay, nothing more nothing less. I’m not quite sure why it gets so much fawning over. Good marketing at some point, I guess.

When I first started getting in to whisky early noughties Highland park 12 was my go to whisky in pubs but now its bland at best. Went off it however as thought it wasnt anywhere near as nice as it used to be.  Put it down to my taste buds changing or looking at it nostalgically. However after working up n Orkney met an HP enthusiast who showed me prices now of older style 12 bottlings going for nearly 100 quid. Now there will be a fair collectable element to the price but quite simply it was a superior dram back then.

Its also kind of shown too where the 12 is so cheap compared to other 12’s yet the 18/21 is a fair bit more than others.