whisky lovers

16 hours ago, GiGi said:

On the Talisker week, I've had a slow evening so decided to see which deals were actually any good. Picks for me:

• Oban and Lagavulin distillers editions seem a decent price drop (in 2023 prices)
  • Clynelish a bit under the usual
  • Talisker Port Ruighe is the clear winner at £45, it's not really appeared any lower than that in the last year. Can't remember if I've tried it so might go for that.

Cheers will give the Port Ruighe a bash myself, it's got decent enough reviews online. 

On 27/09/2023 at 19:08, Salt n Vinegar said:

Anyone opened their bottle of Hearach yet? Mrs Wild Rover ordered one for me on line at the weekend and it's just arrived. Don't know if I'll open it ... might just tuck it away - for a wee while anyway.

Mine arrived today and has been duly retrieved from the tree the courier threw it into.  

Batch No.8. 

I remember being in Harris during the week when the distillery opened. Seems like a million years ago. Lovely memories. Have only made it back to the island once since.

Might keep this particular bottle aside for a special occasion. Or sell it down the line to a wealthy Chinese collector who is charmed by the lucky No.8!

But if I am able to pick up a second bottle when the next batch goes on sale, it will be getting opened there and then to force my hand, as I’m keen to taste it!

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

My first peaty malt and I have to say I'm not a fan. Tastes like fire embers and medicine. I'll force it down but I won't enjoy it.

Reduced to £21 in Asda. The-Ardmore-Legacy.jpeg.52facb6d6679dcdd89572e45eafef7b3.jpeg

Don't use this as a yardstick for peated whisky, Benromach 10 is another supermarket offering that's head and shoulders above this. 

9 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Don't use this as a yardstick for peated whisky, Benromach 10 is another supermarket offering that's head and shoulders above this. 

Yeah, I've read a bit more and I think it's this specifically that's particularly poorly made. 

It's so shit but I'm so tight I keep drinking it. 

49 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Yeah, I've read a bit more and I think it's this specifically that's particularly poorly made. 

It's so shit but I'm so tight I keep drinking it. 

Thats yer classic supermarket/entry level NAS that is just..... Well it's a bit shit. 

Trying out the Clynelish 14 as I type...wonderful aroma, quite peppery in the mouth and a nice long warm feeling. Quite nice, but of the three I'd lean toward the Caol Ila 12 over this and the Talisker 10. A nice wee sampler to work through.

11 hours ago, stimpy said:

My first peaty malt and I have to say I'm not a fan. Tastes like fire embers and medicine. I'll force it down but I won't enjoy it.

Reduced to £21 in Asda. The-Ardmore-Legacy.jpeg.52facb6d6679dcdd89572e45eafef7b3.jpeg

Never been a fan of this either, it's from the distillery closest to my home village, and when the cooperage I was serving my time with closed, two years into my apprenticeship they tried to get me in there to no avail.

9 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Benromach is up there as one if my favourites along with Tamnavulin, now that is a bargain if any of the editions are the 20- 25 Mark in the shops as they often are

Visited the Pot Still yesterday and got told that they don't have GS Victoriana. 

cover4.jpg.3707939f32b45fb8ba771e830f8b9ae2.jpg

Went for the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban to try in case a bottle deal comes up soon (well suited to my taste). Then one of their birthday bottles - a 10 year old unnamed Speyside, finished in an Amarone cask and bottled at 56%. A couple of drops of water possibly wasn't enough in hindsight to get all of the flavour within it, but it was still very good.

Edited by vikingTON

11 hours ago, stimpy said:

Aye, it's certainly an acquired taste 😄

Personally, I'm definitely a Whisky/sherry fan, it works so well. Imo some work with port, others don't but when it works it can be very good too, and the virgin oaks matured whiskies you need to be very careful with the strong vanilla flavours, as they just dominate too much imo.

Ardmore is pretty big on the peaty spectrum maybe try something a little softer like the Cu Bocan, a peated range from Tomatin, if you want to dip your toes in the peated side of life.

34 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Ardmore is pretty big on the peaty spectrum maybe try something a little softer like the Cu Bocan, a peated range from Tomatin, if you want to dip your toes in the peated side of life.

Alternatively just force yourself on Ardbeg until you get a taste for it. Nectar.