whisky lovers

1 hour ago, MSU said:

Picked up a bottle of The Glenrothes Vintage Reserve randomly in a liquor store in Mystic, Connecticut. I had to explain to the guy how to pronounce Glenrothes. You can imagine what his initial stab was. Anyway, it's quite lovely.

Explain to him it's an off-licence an' all next time. ;)

Old man opened his Glencadam 10 yesterday, 60% proof I'm told. Was a lovely drop!

Was given a miniature of Glenfiddich Solera 15 by my folks and a bottle of Glenlivet Founder's Reserve by a mate.

Jura 21 year old was phenomenally smooth. I actually had to ask someone else if it was as smooth as I thought it was or if my residual cold bugs had impaired my taste buds. Really really nice stuff and not like any other Jura I have tried. 

Im not a fan of Jura these days as I find it too bland now as I find most of them too bland but I am quite intrigued to try the 21 yo. I do have a 16yo Diurachs own in the house which is decent.

Been drinking a fair bit of Aberlour Abunadh over festive period. It really is becoming my go to whisky. Due to my whisky cupboards becoming full I asked not be given any whisky for xmas but was given a Deanston 12 (another one of my faves) and Dalwhinnie gold. For a base NAS whisky its decent enough.

On 31/12/2017 at 00:11, MSU said:

I had to explain to the guy how to pronounce Glenrothes. You can imagine what his initial stab was.

I'm struggling to tbh.  How can you pronounce it any other way than how it's written?  Glen-roths?  :unsure2:

Slightly off topic but on the issue of whisky cocktails I've noticed a trend recently for specific whiskies being specified. I quite enjoy cocktails but pretty much exclusively use whichever standard blend I've got in the house (whatever is on offer at the local supermarket, currently Whyte and Mackay) as I've figured I don't want to waste good whisky on a drink I'm adding other flavours to. Is it worth using nicer whisky for these cocktails though, or is it basically a waste?

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Have tried a couple of GlenDronach. Have been very impressed by them

Same here but I've only tried the 12 and 18. Both of those are sherry heavy and non peated. 

It doesn't, it's highland on the bottle but it certainly fits the Speyside profile. 

Doesn't say much though, some genuine Speysides are marketed as Highland.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:57, mac.i said:

Old man opened his Glencadam 10 yesterday, 60% proof I'm told. Was a lovely drop!

Was given a miniature of Glenfiddich Solera 15 by my folks and a bottle of Glenlivet Founder's Reserve by a mate.

Give the Solera about 20 minutes after opening it. I was distinctly unimpressed at first and was ready to write it off. But since I'd opened it I decided to keep going with it and found it really quite pleasant.

1 hour ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Give the Solera about 20 minutes after opening it. I was distinctly unimpressed at first and was ready to write it off. But since I'd opened it I decided to keep going with it and found it really quite pleasant.

This is good advice. I'd recommend giving any decent malt a bit of respect in the glass. I've liked many whiskies nearer the end after it's had a bit of air. The richer ones especially take their time to open up.

Slightly off topic but on the issue of whisky cocktails I've noticed a trend recently for specific whiskies being specified. I quite enjoy cocktails but pretty much exclusively use whichever standard blend I've got in the house (whatever is on offer at the local supermarket, currently Whyte and Mackay) as I've figured I don't want to waste good whisky on a drink I'm adding other flavours to. Is it worth using nicer whisky for these cocktails though, or is it basically a waste?

Good malt should be drank neat not as part of a cocktail. If you really want to go down the cocktail route (why???), use a shite supermarket blend