What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Back to School

80s comedy starring Rodney Dangerfield as a zany and rich old guy who matriculates at university to be with his son.

This has all the tropes of the frat house genre. Y'know, like jocks, nerds, naked girls in the shower, spoilsport tutors etc. 

Sam Kinison makes a memorable appearance as a crazed Vietnam vet.

8/10

Edited by Paul Kersey

Living Dark (DVD) - a couple of spelunking brothers find a small hole that opens up into a mysterious cavern. Based on the old 'Ted the Caver' proto-Creepypasta.

The original story was gripping mainly due to some claustrophobia-inducing descriptions of how potholers navigate their way through ludicrously tight tunnels. The film stays reasonably close to the original for the most part, including some teethgrinding caving scenes, but unfortunately the added resolution to the tale is a bit generic and seems likely to have been designed to remind the audience of The Descent.

Worth a watch if the idea of being trapped underground makes your sphincter tighten like a drum.

Just watched Midsommar.

The most bizarre film I’ve ever seen, but enjoyable and had me fairly gripped the whole time. 2.5 hours usually feels like a drag for films but this felt just right. To be creeped out by a film set in broad daylight must be a sign of good writing and acting. 7.5/10.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Watch Filth last night. McAvoy is sensational. The film? No so much. Felt like it was quite entertaining to begin with but then I just kind of stopped caring halfway through. 

Imogen Poots is an absolute wid.

20 hours ago, smpar said:

Just watched Midsommar.

The most bizarre film I’ve ever seen, but enjoyable and had me fairly gripped the whole time. 2.5 hours usually feels like a drag for films but this felt just right. To be creeped out by a film set in broad daylight must be a sign of good writing and acting. 7.5/10.

Is that film no just a bit of a twist on the Wicker Man? 

I rewatched Ronin.

It's classic 90s fare. De Niro, Sean Bean, Jean Reno and Stellan Skarsgaard all hamming it up and an absolutely ludicrous plot which boils down to four huge set pieces divided up by scenes of De Niro being cool as f**k. 

Pusher 

Nicholas Winding Refn's first movie about a Copenhagen drug dealer who does the usual of too much partying and gets too greedy and has to face the consequences. It was really good and built up incredible tension at the end. It's the first part of a trilogy so I'll need to watch the other two.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I rewatched Ronin.

It's classic 90s fare. De Niro, Sean Bean, Jean Reno and Stellan Skarsgaard all hamming it up and an absolutely ludicrous plot which boils down to four huge set pieces divided up by scenes of De Niro being cool as f**k. 

Pusher 

Nicholas Winding Refn's first movie about a Copenhagen drug dealer who does the usual of too much partying and gets too greedy and has to face the consequences. It was really good and built up incredible tension at the end. It's the first part of a trilogy so I'll need to watch the other two.

Coincidently I rewatched Ronin last night too. John Frankenheimer is one of my favourite directors (check out Seconds), but this is no more than an efficient action film elevated by a decent cast and some good car chases. It’s not a great movie, but it’s certainly enjoyable.

The two Pusher sequels are great too. This trilogy is probably Refn’s best work. Pusher reminded me of Scorsese’s Mean Streets - grittier and funnier than the flashy nihilism of Refn’s later works.

48 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Coincidently I rewatched Ronin last night too. John Frankenheimer is one of my favourite directors (check out Seconds), but this is no more than an efficient action film elevated by a decent cast and some good car chases. It’s not a great movie, but it’s certainly enjoyable.

The two Pusher sequels are great too. This trilogy is probably Refn’s best work. Pusher reminded me of Scorsese’s Mean Streets - grittier and funnier than the flashy nihilism of Refn’s later works.

Aye it only works because of the charisma of the cast especially Reno and De Niro. It's definitely a lot dafter than I remembered but that's probably due to being a teenager when I first saw it and more easily impressed.

By comparison I watched a fair bit of Passengers last night with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. I think it's the first time I've ever watched a Pratt film and it was unbelievable how bad he was. Just an utter goon. 

27 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

An extraordinarily disappointing film. The premise is very good, but the film decides halfway through to just be a standard action movie  set in space, completely forgettable.

The bit where she starts hitting him with the crow bar is where it should get really interesting and dark. Instead Larry Fishburne appears as a magical negro and dies in time to allow Pratt to save the day and be redeemed to Lawrence.

Falling Down

Michael Douglas has a bad hair day. 

This is one of my favourites. I've watched it countless times and I go back to it around once a year. 

Douglas is perfect as the middle aged man who has had a real bellyful of modern society and fights back violently.

9/10

Another Round (Druk) 9/10

Outstanding film with really strong performances from the cast. The story is a really good one and considering our own drinking culture is similar to that of Denmark's or what is depicted then it's a nice film showing the highs and lows of alcohol.

If you can find it in cinema it is well worth going to see.

The closest cinema to me that was showing it was the Hippodrome in Bo'ness which if you haven't been to I would also highly recommend it's Scotland's oldest purpose built cinema.

Cruella 7/10

I was forced to watch this with the kids last night. I was expecting it to be awful but was actually a lot of fun. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were both superb. Ropey first 10 minutes but once it hit its stride, a very enjoyable film.

The Duke 8/10

In 1961, Kempton Bunton, a 60 year old taxi driver from Newcastle, steals Goya's portrait of the Duke of Wellington from the National Gallery in London. 

Jim Broadbent is the lead character and Helen Mirren plays his long suffering wife. Cracking wee British film

On 20/07/2021 at 10:29, Detournement said:

The bit where she starts hitting him with the crow bar is where it should get really interesting and dark. Instead Larry Fishburne appears as a magical negro and dies in time to allow Pratt to save the day and be redeemed to Lawrence.

Passengers just made me very uncomfortable. I think I remember a suggestion I saw online that it would have been much better if it was a horror movie from her perspective, as she finds out what happened to her.