What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched Superbad for the first time last week. Fairly standard teen movie in the end, but lots of stuff was really well written and acted.

I genuinely thought that it was going to go somewhere a bit interesting and mental during the second act but it went back on piste. 

Spoiler

I'm always disappointed when the ugly unpopular kid pulls a stunner. I know it's wish-fulfilment for the target audience but i can't help thinking it sets unrealistic expectations and will lead to inevitable crushing disappointment when the looker you' ve been chatting up not only won't go out with you but gets her 25 year old boyfriend to batter you. Much better if the likes of Jonah Hill or Will of the inbetweeners learned to take a knockback and recalibrate their standards. 

The Long Goodbye

It's a Raymond Chandler adaptation but instead of Phillip Marlowe being a tough guy in the 1940s he is played by Elliot Gould and it's set in1972. The Los Angeles locations are amazing and the complicated plot takes a back seat to the general atmosphere of sleaze and corruption. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The Long Goodbye

It's a Raymond Chandler adaptation but instead of Phillip Marlowe being a tough guy in the 1940s he is played by Elliot Gould and it's set in1972. The Los Angeles locations are amazing and the complicated plot takes a back seat to the general atmosphere of sleaze and corruption. 

Classic film. I've always wanted to live in his hoose.

Its called The High Tower.

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

The Long Goodbye

Thats a great movie

Having a Mads Mikkelsen week.........

Another Round.....MM is a school teacher who, along with 3 colleagues, embarks on an experiment to confirm that they can perform better and lead more fulfilling lives if they drink alcohol from first thing until 8pm each night. Doesn't quite work out as planned and a good laugh..........7/10.

The Hunt.........MM works in a kiddies nursery having lost his job as a teacher when a school closed. Accused by a 5 year old of inappropriate behaviour which gathers momentum and leads to his life lying in ruins. Outstanding performances all round.........8/10.

Riders Of Justice........MM serving with the army in Afghanistan when his wife is killed in a train crash back home in Denmark. Once home, he is approached by 3 weirdo geeks, one of whom was on the train, who convince him it was no accident but the result of a feud between biker gangs. MM sets out on a course of revenge fueled by their convincing arguements. The 3 geeks are fucking hilarious and it veers between them and MM dealing with his demons not in a funny way at all. One scene in particular near the end where he loses it is incredible.........8/10.

All 3 in Danish with subtitles but worth the effort.

19 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Another Round.....MM is a school teacher who, along with 3 colleagues, embarks on an experiment to confirm that they can perform better and lead more fulfilling lives if they drink alcohol from first thing until 8pm each night. Doesn't quite work out as planned and a good laugh..........7/10.

The Hunt.........MM works in a kiddies nursery having lost his job as a teacher when a school closed. Accused by a 5 year old of inappropriate behaviour which gathers momentum and leads to his life lying in ruins. Outstanding performances all round.........8/10.

Riders Of Justice........MM serving with the army in Afghanistan when his wife is killed in a train crash back home in Denmark. Once home, he is approached by 3 weirdo geeks, one of whom was on the train, who convince him it was no accident but the result of a feud between biker gangs. MM sets out on a course of revenge fueled by their convincing arguements. The 3 geeks are fucking hilarious and it veers between them and MM dealing with his demons not in a funny way at all. One scene in particular near the end where he loses it is incredible.........8/10.

Not long back from Riders of Justice myself. Outstanding easily now my second favourite Christmas film I'm having it as a 9/10 an absolute joy. Making subtitled films funny is difficult but this was a triumph and Another Round was good at it as well. Mon the Danes.

Heat (1996) 

Watched this about half a dozen times now, but the first for about 10 years. Classic crime/heist movie. Everything about this movie just sings. The mid 90's aesthetic, which actually holds up, action, dialogue, L.A., De Niro and Pacino etc. It's influences on this genre of movie and also video games. Michael Mann peaked here.

9/10

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

I love Vinterberg, "Festen" is one of my favourite all-time films, have you seen that? 

The Hunt is absolutely tremendous, very close to a perfect score for me but it loses a few points for the too neat tie up at the end....9/10.  Another Round was very entertaining, well worth seeing but I think I'm missing something for it to have picked up so many awards, not a "best in-class" worthy effort for me...7/10.

Riders of Justice is a great romp, the supporting characters are funny as f**k, but it's a bit heavy on the exposition... 7/10

I love Vinterberg, "Festen" is one of my favourite all-time films, have you seen that? 
The Hunt is absolutely tremendous, very close to a perfect score for me but it loses a few points for the too neat tie up at the end....9/10.  Another Round was very entertaining, well worth seeing but I think I'm missing something for it to have picked up so many awards, not a "best in-class" worthy effort for me...7/10.
Riders of Justice is a great romp, the supporting characters are funny as f**k, but it's a bit heavy on the exposition... 7/10
Not seen Festen but I'll check it out. I see Thomas Bo Larsen is in it.

12 hours ago, Frank Sobotka said:

Heat (1996) 

Watched this about half a dozen times now, but the first for about 10 years. Classic crime/heist movie. Everything about this movie just sings. The mid 90's aesthetic, which actually holds up, action, dialogue, L.A., De Niro and Pacino etc. It's influences on this genre of movie and also video games. Michael Mann peaked here.

9/10

Tom Sizemore appears in the second series of Hawaii Five O (the reboot) as a policeman.  In one episode, there is a bank robbery and he gets a role reversal that you would instantly recognise.