What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Went to see The Bank Job tonight, it was quite good I'd say 7/10.

Continuity was really good for London 1970, was expecting to spot some mistakes but couldn't find any.

Death count was 4, a bit higher than I expected.

Having said that, I rarely go to the cinema and think every film looks really good on a big screen.

Today, me and the old duchess watched...

Wuthering Heights (9/10) - an aptly menacing portrayal of the greatest book ever written by a woman. Well cast, beautifully soundtracked and definitely capturing the darkness and torment that sets the novel apart from its saccharine competitors. A wonderful depiction of the tragedy of Heathcliffe, if a little too forgiving of him in the end. It also transcribes one of the best short lines I've ever read "I cannot live without my life,". Fucking brilliant.

Se7en (6/10) - beginning to date ever so slightly, still most definitely worth a watch - although I felt it had lost something in the years since I last saw it. Perhaps in the interim the religiously driven serial killer has become too much of fodder for the two-part-tv-writers. A little hackneyed in review.

Guest Tatty Boabie

Jumper. 6/10

Not bad, considering me and my girlfriend thought it was going to be shite, but just wanted to go to the cinema.

Guest Donnerkebab
Jumper. 6/10

Not bad, considering me and my girlfriend thought it was going to be shite, but just wanted to go to the cinema.

The Green Mile, 8/10.

Guest Donnerkebab

Aye you're probably right, best Ive seen for a long time, just watched it now on C4, like to tape any decent films which are on but that didnae fit on the tape, chunt!!

Guest Tatty Boabie
Aye you're probably right, best Ive seen for a long time, just watched it now on C4, like to tape any decent films which are on but that didnae fit on the tape, chunt!!

:)

Unlucky.

I just thought The green Mile was a refreshingly different film, very well acted and powerful.

And enjoyable.

Heat is mince.

Kung Fu Hustle. Nonsense but fun 7/10.

The 151st best film ever (with Pacino, De Niro, Kilmer, Trejo, Voight, Judd and Portman) is mince, but a kung fu film so weak that the Spanish rated it suitable for children, that's 'nonsense' isn't... :lol:

Loving the logic. :)

The 151st best film ever (with Pacino, De Niro, Kilmer, Trejo, Voight, Judd and Portman) is mince, but a kung fu film so weak that the Spanish rated it suitable for children, that's 'nonsense' isn't... :lol:

Loving the logic. :)

Pacino overacts, DeNiro stopped trying 15 years ago, Michael Mann is a mediocre director.

Danny Trejo is great though.

Will agree with that, the man of a million bit parts is brilliant (albeit type-cast as a criminal or low pay late night employee) :D :D

A massive budget action movie with Danny Trejo and Al Leong (imdb him, you will know who he is!) as the leads would be either awesome or terrible, but I'd certainly give it a go!

A massive budget action movie with Danny Trejo and Al Leong (imdb him, you will know who he is!) as the leads would be either awesome or terrible, but I'd certainly give it a go!

Hopefully Machete gets made soon, Trejo has been long overdue a starring role!

Hitchcock's Frenzy - 4/10

Pretty rubbish with only one or two highlights.

Negative marks for:

The crap anti-climactic ending.

The bizzare 1st rape and murder scene - probably shocking at the time but just plain weird now.

The slapstick corpse in a potato sack scene.

Some dreadful acting, especially from the supporting cast.

Plus points for:

Being shot in and around Covent Garden while it was still a fruit market. Gives a real feel for what London was like at the time.

The great comedic turn from the policeman's gastronomically challenged wife.

The one magestic moment of pure Hitchcock as the camera silently pulls away from the imminent second murder and out into the busy street below.

Where once Hitchcock triumphed by not showing you the violence, here he shows you some pretty seedy stuff which hasn't aged well at all. It almost feels like it's presented for your pleasure (with women easily submitting to rape and murder, lots of lingering shots of nude corpses etc).

One for completists only.

Withnail and I

I felt i had pretty much seen this through various clip shows over the years and it had been built up to ridiculous proportions so i was prepared to dislike it. In the end it couldn't live up to the hype although there is some pretty damn funny moments. Much of the humour though seems to be watching posh people swear which films like 4 Weddings have since stolen.

7/10