What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Unlawful Entry

Finally got around to watching this after taping it off of BBC 1. Pretty awful stuff actually. It gets points for the amazing performances of Kurt Russell and Ray Liotta. Ray Liotta is especially brilliant here. However, the plot is poor, the script seems ridiculous and I can't think of any other reason to recommend this, other than Liotta and Russell.

2/10

An American Crime

A horrible movie to watch, thanks to the story that's being told, which is the story of a housewife locking a girl in her basement. Catherine Keener is the very meaning of evil. Ellen Page plays the girl, and while her performance is nowhere near as good as what she has done before, it doesn't have to be either. We get the point. The point is that the girl went through absolute hell. And of course, what makes it even more harrowing is that it actually happened. The events may be dramatized somewhat, but they happened. It was as well being called a horror movie.

7/10

Unlawful Entry

Finally got around to watching this after taping it off of BBC 1.

2/10

I just watched it tonight after taping it off BBC 1 as well. Don't agree with your rating but fair enough, that's your opinion.

Thought the build up of Liotta from nice guy cop to increasingly disturbed to full blown psycho was well done. It begged the question, what would you do in Kurt Russell's situation?

6.5/10

Edited by Gall09

Thought the build up of Liotta from nice guy cop to increasingly disturbed to full blown psycho was well done.

Which I duly noted. The guy done an amazing job considering what he was given to work with. Russell wasn't so bad himself. I thought the original break in was done pretty well, and under the circumstances, the character of Russell did the right thing. It's everything that follows that I have the problem with.

The idea of the wife believing the psycho when he was clearly mental was idiotic. It was right in front of her, and had been pointed out to her. The fact that the psycho's partner wouldn't do anything other than just make little remarks, when HE suspected that things could go down. They hinted at this from the very beginning. And then you have the climax which is hilarious at best.

The performances cannot be argued with, and I'll say all night that Liotta is absolutely stunning.

Airplane.....I need not say anymore :D

You have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor. One of the few movies that the director's commentary is worth watching, if only because he points out the mistakes in every scene.

Sunshine

I'm sure I rated this on here, but I didn't want to go back and look. I'm sure that Danny Boyle set out what he wanted to achieve here. A pretty good sci-fi movie. It's just that the movie takes far too long to get to it's point. We all know where the main problems are going to come from. Icarus I. When they get there, it turns into a movie worth seeing, but even then, it moves at a pretty slow rate. The climax is absolutely must-see though, and pretty much makes the entire movie worth sitting through.

Would I recommend watching the whole movie ? Yes, as I think the ending pretty much pays off everything that comes before, and wouldn't mean as much without watching it all. It's worth watching it all to get to it as well.

6/10

strangely enough i think it's the build up that's the pay off in this film. :huh: I really like cillian murphy in it and love the muscial score. The scenes where they arrive on Icarus I are well shot and creepy but i think the end result after that is totally ludicrous and spoils the whole feel of the movie.

suppose it wouldnt be interesting if we all had the same opinions though ;)

strangely enough i think it's the build up that's the pay off in this film.

I don't get this. The build up can't be a payoff to anything. Only the climax can payoff the story. That's why it's the climax.

I don't get this. The build up can't be a payoff to anything. Only the climax can payoff the story. That's why it's the climax.

i was meaning in the sense of - making it worthwhile to watch - for me the first 3 quarters of the film are good but the ending sucks ;)

The build up in Sunshine is fantastic. The payoff is shit.

Yeah, I'm getting that, and that's fair enough, but surely the payoff IS the ending. That's my point. Whether it was a crap payoff or not, that is basically another term for the climax or the ending or whatever. Although I guess it depends on how you use it in the context of movies. That's how I use it.

What bugged me about Sunshine is that it seemed to have almost no plot for the first part of it. Well, it had the story of the bomb being flown to the sun, but there wasn't enough revolving around that. It seemed to be more focused on the in-fighting with a bunch of bland actors and Cilian Murphy, who was clearly leaps and bounds ahead of everyone there, other than the director.

The reason I was so into what came after the entry to Icarus I, was because the characters really started to take shape. Some of the stuff was ridiculous. I can't get into the ridiculous bit without spoiling it, but they dealt with it well enough, even if it was needless, and they kept it tense as well, which helps. In less capable hands, this movie would have had me bored to tears.

Yeah, I'm getting that, and that's fair enough, but surely the payoff IS the ending. That's my point. Whether it was a crap payoff or not, that is basically another term for the climax or the ending or whatever. Although I guess it depends on how you use it in the context of movies. That's how I use it.

What bugged me about Sunshine is that it seemed to have almost no plot for the first part of it. Well, it had the story of the bomb being flown to the sun, but there wasn't enough revolving around that. It seemed to be more focused on the in-fighting with a bunch of bland actors and Cilian Murphy, who was clearly leaps and bounds ahead of everyone there, other than the director.

The reason I was so into what came after the entry to Icarus I, was because the characters really started to take shape. Some of the stuff was ridiculous. I can't get into the ridiculous bit without spoiling it, but they dealt with it well enough, even if it was needless, and they kept it tense as well, which helps. In less capable hands, this movie would have had me bored to tears.

The thing for me about Sunshine is

The plot "twist" if you like, was done so much better in other movies. Event Horizon for one.

The thing for me about Sunshine is

The plot "twist" if you like, was done so much better in other movies. Event Horizon for one.

The film you've mentioned is a bad earlier version of

Ghost Ship, and is directed by Paul WS Anderson

Terrible, terrible film.

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

8/10

Paddy Considine wrote and starred in a terrific wee film set in Matlock, about a brother taking revenge for his retarded brother's torture and suicide at the hands of a gang of drug users/sellers a few years earlier whilst he was in the armed forces.

Made by FilmFour, so it should be on there at some point (I watched it on DVD so no adverts :P )

Edited by SaltyTON