What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Vault of Horror ( 1973 )

Chalk this down as another of the "at least you know what you're getting" list. It's actually quite brilliant at times. The first story is great fun for example. Once again, it's never really scary but there's enough fun to be had here laughing at the misfortune of others. There's wee bits of intrigue now and then too. A bit predictable at times though. I'd give this a watch if it comes back on.

6/10

Mulholland Drive ( 2001 )

It's a bit of a mindfuck after a while, which is a shame, because for the most part, it's a damn good movie. I really should have known what to expect from a David Lynch movie but the movie was going along really well ( with the occaisional stupid scene ) and then it just decided to go pearshaped. So it definately loses marks there, but untill that point, it's terrific.

8/10

Criticising a David Lynch movie for being a mindfuck is like criticising the grass for being green. They're supposed to be abstract. It's actually what happens at that point and thereafter that makes the whole movie, IMO!

Criticising a David Lynch movie for being a mindfuck is like criticising the grass for being green.

I wasn't going to, but a lot of the movie was actually keeping me in the loop. It's easy to forget that this is a David Lynch movie before the last 30 minutes, apart from the scene with the weirdo in the cafe.

I wasn't going to, but a lot of the movie was actually keeping me in the loop. It's easy to forget that this is a David Lynch movie before the last 30 minutes, apart from the scene with the weirdo in the cafe.

Well, there's the whole Cowboy thing, the coffee tasting "This Is The Girl" scene, the midget in the dark room... I'd say it's fairly Lynchian at times before that. But yeah, it's a relatively linear plot until they go to Silencio.

Dunno if you've read or heard what the movie's "about" (not that Lynch has ever confirmed it) but I think it makes almost perfect sense if you subscribe to the most popular theory. I saw it twice in the cinema, first time it was a mindfuck (but I loved it anyway) and second time it made "perfect" sense.

Edit: BTW, if you think Mulholland Drive's a mindfuck, you should see watch Inland Empire. I totally love it, but it is absolutely mental. There's almost no point trying to make sense of it, better to just enjoy the ride!

Edited by Colin M

Edit: BTW, if you think Mulholland Drive's a mindfuck, you should see watch Inland Empire. I totally love it, but it is absolutely mental. There's almost no point trying to make sense of it, better to just enjoy the ride!

I've seen it, and I agree. At least with that movie, you know the game's a bogey right from the first whistle.

Dunno if you've read or heard what the movie's "about" (not that Lynch has ever confirmed it) but I think it makes almost perfect sense if you subscribe to the most popular theory. I saw it twice in the cinema, first time it was a mindfuck (but I loved it anyway) and second time it made "perfect" sense.

With it being the first time I've ever seen the movie, and I only watched it because it happened to be on Sky, I wasn't really aware of theories, so I guess I'll have to go have a looksee to see what I can find.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)

I like this series of films, they're good fun and the cast clearly enjoy making them. Even Nicolas Cage who is normally one of the most wooden actors in Hollywood seems to come out of his shell and get right in to them!

I like how far fetched they are, and they don't try to hide that.

This one wasn't quite as good as the first one, but still very entertaining.

7/10

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Watchable and fairly entertaining, but very badly aged. Funny in parts, but I really can't see the over-the-top love for this film.

7/10

Watched Con Air the other day. A very enjoyable film i thought, at times a bit predictable, but good enough. The only downside was the ending which i turned off because it pissed me off. Dunno why. 7.5/10.

Anyone seen 'Honeymoon in Vegas' starring Nicholas Cage? Pish film and i cant believe i have seen it 2 and a half times, 4/10

Watched Con Air the other day. A very enjoyable film i thought, at times a bit predictable, but good enough. The only downside was the ending which i turned off because it pissed me off. Dunno why. 7.5/10.

Anyone seen 'Honeymoon in Vegas' starring Nicholas Cage? Pish film and i cant believe i have seen it 2 and a half times, 4/10

Having checked it, it's Nicolas Cage, Sarah Jessica Parker and Peter Boyle who got me quite a few points in the Dead Pool 2006.

What a fucking horrendous sounding film.

Hard Candy

First time I'd seen it and just watched it on Sky. Pretty good movie actually. Very progressive, and attention grabbing for being a mainly dialogue driven film. A bit dissapointed that a grown guy in his prime couldn't have over powered a wee burd and knocked her the fcuk out. :huh: 7/10

Films I have watched over the Christmas Period:

Little Miss Sunshine, 6/10. Good enough film, a few laughs

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 6/10. Not sure weather this was a masterpiece or a load of tosh.

Elf, 3/10. Harmless fun, but a load of crap really

South Pacific, 7/10 good fun, some great songs

Charlie Wilson's War, 7/10 a good film.

Two got 10/10:

It's a Wonderful life, what a classic

Dr Zhivago: Fantastic film!!