What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Aliens is by far the best, and Alien 3 is better than the massively dated Alien.

Resurrection and the AvP films are all awful!

Predator makes Alien seem like Avatar, by God is that horribly dated!

Whit? You watch all the pish of the day including stuff from the 20's and then slag off Alien and Predator for being dated? Strange. Anyway that dated look is sometimes half the appeal. It is with me anyway, for example early John Carpenter films.

El rey de la montaña 7/10

Spanish film about a man who gets lost in the woods and is then shot at and hunted down by snipers

Just noticed this is on Film 4 tonight under it's English name "King Of The Hill"

Winter's Bone (2010)

The fourth nominee for this year's Best Film Oscar that I've seen, and although it was quite good is certainly the weakest of them so far.

Set around a Missouri farm girl who is set to lose her farm if she can't get her Dad to court in time for his trial. The film is fairly slow moving, and never really builds up any speed at all.

It comes to a worthwhile conclusion, but it seemed a real long road to get there.

Worth a watch, but never an Oscar winner!

7/10

Just watched "Sugar" on iPlayer. A story about a young baseball pitcher from the Dominican Republic trying to cope with life in the Minor Leagues in the US.

Absolutely loved it. As did my girlfriend who has no interest at all in baseball.

9/10

BBC iPlayer link

Edited by jm1

Smurph. Watch Aliens and Alien 3. Don't watch Resurrection, it's an absolute abortion.

I've said this before, but the "Special Edition" of Alien 3 massively improves the film.

Aliens (1986)

It was different that I had expected. I thought it would have continued the horror theme, but it was more action-packed than that. Still relatively scary though. The 'mother-alien' wasn't right. Imagine that was actually a real thing? :(

It lasted for ages, so I got a little restless, but overall it was pretty good.

I'll rate it higher than I normally would because I'm not into these movies normally.

8/10

Tomorrow: Alien 3. I should miss Resurrection due to playing fives on Monday night.

Over the past week I have exposed myself to the fucking horrific attempts of film-making called 'The Reaping' and 'The Butterfly Effect'.

Both were utterly shite, and can someone please try and explain to me what is the fucking point of Ashton Kutcher?

'The Butterfly Effect' looked like it had potential. Much akin to the 'potential' that Jeremie Aliadiere apparently had when people branded him the next Thierry Henry. Like that French flop, it never amassed into anything other than a complete waste of time, money, space and oxygen. A fair 3/10 is what I would give 'The Butterfly Effect'. It gets a 3 because it had some potential, unlike the next film.

'The Reaping' was just bad from the very start. I don't like horror films, I think most of them are shit, this wasn't really a horror. I wasn't scared, I didn't jump, I did however hide behind a cushion - not out of fear, just out of how bad this film was. Hilary Swank is a very good actress whenever I've seen her (which is limited to 3 or 4 films to be fair) but even she - and her fucking ridiculous sized manly jaw - couldn't save this abortion of a film. A resounding 2/10. One of the worst films I have ever seen.

El rey de la montana (2007) (Eng; King of the Hill)

Last minute decision to watch this. Very glad I did. Really, really enjoyed it. Had a great twist at the end and I was engaged in it throughout. Don't really have any criticisms, though my rating may be a little high.

9/10

El rey de la montana (2007) (Eng; King of the Hill)

Last minute decision to watch this. Very glad I did. Really, really enjoyed it. Had a great twist at the end and I was engaged in it throughout. Don't really have any criticisms, though my rating may be a little high.

9/10

I bought that in Poundland last week, I also quite enjoyed it.

Hack! 3/10

Pish

A weird couple living on a remote island allow a group of students on the island to study the wildlife and film them being murdered for their own snuff movie

Hack! 3/10

Pish

A weird couple living on a remote island allow a group of students on the island to study the wildlife and film them being murdered for their own snuff movie

William Forsythe really does sign up for some amount of shite, doesn't he?

He's rumoured on IMDb to be signed up to play Jake LaMotta in the unnecessary, 32 years later, sequel to Raging Bull...

Toy Story 3

I saw the first Toy Story when it was first released and never seen it since and never seen the second film at all so was a little weary going into this one as in general I'm not a fan of kids films. I was pleasantly suprised. It was a very enjoyable movie, had a couple of funny moments, and at no point was I ever bored or checking to see how long to go there was. 7/10

The Fighter

First half of the movie bored me a little, but the second half I thought was excellent. On the whole the movie was quite good. Christian Bale is fantastic in his role as is Amy Adams in hers. Whalberg I found hard to relate to but I'm unsure if that was Whalberg himself or the character. I liked this film but its one for some reason I can't see myself watching again for a long time at least. Struggled to think of how to actually rate this 6.5/10

Zulu - 10/10

Yeah, the welsh kick some fucking arse.

Men of harlech this ya bas - of course its wildly inaccurate in terms of film v reality and there are some characters who vanish for the last 45 minutes before making a reappearance for the final roll call and James Booth gets as close to South Africa as I do whilst sitting here.

But what the heck - this is beautifully shot, has a cracking John Barry score and has some of the finest battle scenes ever put on film.

(and Alien is the best of the quartet, aliens is an overlong bore, 3 as stated you should watch the special edition and cut your arm off instead of watching the last one - I watched all 4 films again a couple of months ago and had forgotten how terrible 4 is despite being made by one of my favourite directors)

The Social Network (2010)

After five out of ten, this is currently my favourite for the Oscar. Eisenberg was brilliant as Mark Zuckerberg, although his attempts to be irreverent towards Eduardo at the end are a bit crap to be honest!

The short appearance from Wallace Langham came as a bit of a surprise, and Justin Timberlake continues to impress with his acting ability.

9/10 - Really didn't expect to like this, but a worthy Oscar nominee!

Black Swan

Much better than I expected(although I'm not sure what that was). The easiest way to sum up this film is - Weird but wonderful. Natalie Portman is excellent and a shoe in in my opinion for best actress for this performance. I have no interest at all in ballet so I found the subject matter itself boring however the film goes deeper than that and is all about the characters themselves. Plus points for Natalie Portman playing with herself and getting some oral from another woman 8)

7.5/10