What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Exhibit A ( 2007 )

Basically, a girl is filming her dad so as he can see how much he's changing as he's cracking under financial pressure. It's actually really good IMO. Whoever played the dad put on a really unnerving performance. Which made up for the shit performances coming from elsewhere. It's all a bit predictable, but by the end, you're not really fussed by that. You're just enjoying the ride.

8/10

I also enjoyed that film. Think I did a write up of it on here about a year ago. I'm sure i've seen the dad in other stuff but can't think what..

I didn't recognize anyone which helps with movies like that of course. The minute you start recognizing folk, it ruins the illusion, ya know what I mean?

Paranormal Activity 3 ( 2011 )

A solid enough continuation to the series. Much of the first half is a bit uninteresting, but what it does which the first did better than the second, was bring back that sense of impending doom every night, and do it effectively. A good escalation from haunting to haunting really. When it gets towards the end, creep and scare factor is heightened and there are a couple of truly brilliant moments in it, with one absolutely fantastic sequence, and a great climatic sequence as well. It just lacks in the getting there at times. Good stuff.

7/10

Contagion

Big name cast, decent acting, but never really sets the pulse racing. Jude Laws accent is, like the story, all over the place.

6/10.

In Bruges

Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell are two hit men who hide out in Bruges after a job goes wrong. Enjoyable performances from both leads, Farrell comes across as a Father Dougall type character at times, and it works very well. Ralph Feinnes reminded me of Sir Ben Kingsleys character in Sexy Beast as Harry, their psychotic boss. Very funny, good patter.

9/10

Grave Encounters ( 2011 )

The found footage obsession continues with this pretty fucked up movie. The idea is fairly simple. Documentary filmers are in an asylum which they say is haunted. They're willing to make up total shit to make this the case. Except this time they don't have to. This has many negatives, but it makes up for it normally. It's very disjointed. It throws big moments out there willy nilly, but you also get a couple of positive things from this. 1) There's a real sense that anything can happen at any time and 2) it almost feels like it's toying with them at times. It all feels a bit forced, but what's going on is so gripping, you wind up ignoring it by the end. The last 35 minutes are utterly incredible as it just descends into full blown fucking madness.

I so badly wanted to rate this higher. Really did.

8/10

Fast five 7/10 these movies are a bit of a guilty pleasure and with the last 2 being a bit shite I was impressed with this one. Which is a heist in Rio now I'm not saying its heat or anything but it was fairly entertaining considering it starred Vin diesel and Paul walker. Also the rock looked fucking massive is he back wrestling or something

Raging Bull

Watching it for the millionth time last night, I realised just how perfect this film is. The bloody violence and excitement, inside the ring and out, and the heavy emotional problems masked behind Jake LaMotta's macho image both contrast and interweave with each other to tell the story and also describe Jake's personality.

Some of the camerawork is simply second to none and the bizarre animal sounds during the fights were ingenious, but most importantly technically is that it's so authentic to its era- something Martin Scorsese is a true master at.

Robert De Niro's metamorphosis both physically and emotionally is beyond belief. The thing about Jake LaMotta in this film is that he's a villain with many problems, which he can't properly handle, but you get to know him so well that you can't help but feel sorry for him.

Most heartbreaking is when he meets Joey years after they fall out, hugs and kisses him and can't let go.

The "I once was blind but now I can see" line at the end says it all.

It is a masterful drama and pretty much everyone agrees, but it also makes me think about friendship, desperation and redemption, and it's my new favourite film of all time.

10/10

Gangs of New York

It's not Scorsese's greatest film, by any stretch of the imagination but it is very good. In fact, it's brilliant. I think it shows the class difference between George Lucas and Scorsese as well, when Lucas visited the massive set of 19th century New York when he turned round to Scorsese and just said, 'Sets like that can be done with computers now'.

Scorsese, in my opinion, is the greatest director in the land.

8/10.

Gangs of New York

It's not Scorsese's greatest film, by any stretch of the imagination but it is very good. In fact, it's brilliant. I think it shows the class difference between George Lucas and Scorsese as well, when Lucas visited the massive set of 19th century New York when he turned round to Scorsese and just said, 'Sets like that can be done with computers now'.

Scorsese, in my opinion, is the greatest director in the land.

8/10.

I've always thought that De Caprio was a poor choice as the lead in this movie. I enjoyed it , but , for me they could have used someone with a bit more dig (at that time , I think he's a lot better now)

1333146997[/url]' post='6098419']

I've always thought that De Caprio was a poor choice as the lead in this movie. I enjoyed it , but , for me they could have used someone with a bit more dig (at that time , I think he's a lot better now)

Daniel day-Lewis was, on the other hand, absolutely brilliant in it. As per usual.

Mystic River (2003)

Great cast trying to solve the murder of a 19 year old, with everything to do with the case dating back to a group of three boys being involved with a kidnapping of one of them by a paedophile ~30 years previously.

For once Kevin Bacon does his job well, and doesn't make me wish for him to die throughout the film.

9/10

Mystic River (2003)

Great cast trying to solve the murder of a 19 year old, with everything to do with the case dating back to a group of three boys being involved with a kidnapping of one of them by a paedophile ~30 years previously.

For once Kevin Bacon does his job well, and doesn't make me wish for him to die throughout the film.

9/10

Outstanding film but a much better book. Penn is awesome in his role as family man mobster.

Wrath of the Titans, what an absolute disaster of a film, Aslan and Raif were good as always but it lumbers along with no real idea where it's going. Big Sam takes about two seconds to be persuaded to abandon the promise that he made to his wife on her death bed, characters appear and disappear and your left wondering who the hell they were and apart from opening a magic door or something similar what their purpose in the film was.

1/10 it gets one just to acknowledge that it

exists.

Blagh

The Debt (2010)

American remake of an Israeli film about Mossad agents sent to capture a concentration camp doctor (based on Josef Mengele) and return him to Israel for trial.

Very strange as the story sort of mixes up Mengele's and Eichmann's tales to the point of utter confusion!

Manages to quite boring despite the interesting story it is attempting to portray.

6/10

The Sitter.

What a very strange film indeed. The pacing was wierd and also parts of the story were just totally mental but it was quite funny at times even though it was incredibly cheesy a lot of the time. Genius performance from Sam Rockwell as a very unhinged drug dealer.

I'll give it a 6/10.

Ironclad 8 / 10

I love my medieval blood n guts movies (Black Death, Braveheart, Arn the Templar etc etc) and this is a good example of the genre. A strong cast including Dance, Giamatti, Purefoy, Cox and Jacobi chews up its collective parts with ease, and I was let down only by the fact that this clearly had a small budget and was thus limited in scale. Great bloodsoaked battle scenes, top trebuchet action (yay!) and a general feeling of 13th century misery means this film does it for me. Quibbles include the fairly weak ending and token romance, but £5 well spent.

La Haine

I loved this film, it was brilliant. The characters behaved like arseholes at times and had some stupid views, and yet I totally empthasised with the three main characters. It was a film about really serious issues and yet it had some laugh out loud moments, such as the bit with the wee Jewish guy in the toilets. I was wary of this film because everyone says it's so good, but it was worthy of the hype.

9/10

American Psycho

I'd seen this years ago but didn't remember it that well, I just remember thinking it was a weird as f**k film. Watching it a second time it was obvious that it's a dark comedy, albeit pretty dark. The way Bale's character talked just made me laugh, as did his smug expressions such as the one in the much used kickback gif. Obviously the film was making a point about greed in American culture, went right over my head the first time.

8/10