What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

21 Jump Street

A film i would have most likely avoided at all costs, until i started to read some very positive reviews about it.

It's never going to be a movie that you'll take anything away from it, but for what it is, a comedy then it certainly hit all the right notes.

It's also the first film i've seen that has really tackled the whole ' Nerds are cool these days ' thing that goes on and how you think to yourself " If only i was in school now, i'd have been a much cooler person " and it handles it excellently.

Some genuinely laugh out loud moments, along with some very smart ways of having 80's stereotypes (it's based on a TV show from the 80's) in the movie, but doing it in a way so it's laughing at them, without spoofing it.

For me it's the best comedy i've seen in years, and as so i'm going to judge it as a comedy and not on the same scale that i would judge other types of movies.

8.5/10

I'll be going to see it, but it just looks like a total rip-off of Battle Royale.

I read an article where the author of the books said she'd never even heard of Battle Royale until she handed in the manuscript for the first book and she was told by whoever not to watch them.

More along the lines of Lord of the Flies. See what you think but its certainly the best ive seen at the cinemas in a long time.

Lord of the Flies is children fighting due to madness, they weren't forced to fight each other.

Battle royal is a bloody brilliant film, if The Hunger Games is anywhere near as good fun to watch, it will be good in my books. Plus it has Woody Harleson in it.

Yes thanks for the synopsis.

So then why did you say it was more like that than Battle Royale when Hunger Games and Battle Royale are children who are chosen to fight and made to fight each other or die whereas Lord of the Flies they get stranded and turn on each other.

Battle royal is a bloody brilliant film, if The Hunger Games is anywhere near as good fun to watch, it will be good in my books. Plus it has Woody Harleson in it.

I didn't realise Harrelson was in it. Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks are in it too. It's a 12a though, as opposed to the 18 rating for BR.

Lord of the Flies is children fighting due to madness

So then why did you say it was more like that than Battle Royale when Hunger Games and Battle Royale are children who are chosen to fight and made to fight each other or die whereas Lord of the Flies they get stranded and turn on each other.

That's exactly what The Hunger Games is, children fighting due to madness.

No, they're forced to by the Capitol. (by madness I meant they went insane and started fighting each other)

Districts 1 and 2 chose to fight. I would consider that insane.

Districts 1 and 2 chose to fight. I would consider that insane.

They're put in the situation by a person/third party though, the same as in Battle Royale. Not everyone agrees to fight each other. They're put in the island accidently in Lord of the Flies. The only similarity in Lord of the Flies is that children fighting on an island.

They're put in the situation by a person/third party though, the same as in Battle Royale. Not everyone agrees to fight each other. They're put in the island accidently in Lord of the Flies. The only similarity in Lord of the Flies is that children fighting on an island.

If you cant see the comparisons, i recommend maybe going to see The Pirates or some another family animation feature.

If you cant see the comparisons, i recommend maybe going to see The Pirates or some another family animation feature.

laugh.gif Nothing like a bit of condescension to round off an argument, eh?

I'll lay it out simply then.

The Hunger Games - children are selected at random by the government(The Capitol) to fight in the Arena. Last man standing survives.

Battle Royale - One class of school children are selected at random by the government (The Republic of Greater East Asia) to fight in the Okishima Island. Last man standing survives.

Lord of the Flies - A plane with school children on it crashes on an island. The only survivors are some boys. They form a group, vote a leader, split up duties to survive. They end up splitting up into two factions. And they slowly start to go insane, turning on each other and a bunch of them die.

Unless I've missed something major, then I can't see how LOTF and HG are more similar than HG and BR.

More along the lines of Lord of the Flies. See what you think but its certainly the best ive seen at the cinemas in a long time.

I watched this yesterday and don't really see much of a link to LOTF to be honest. Anyway.....

Hunger Games - 7/10.

The film was pretty decent but I have two issues with it. Firstly, it took far too long to get to the fighting part of the film. I'd say a good hour perhaps until things start to get going. I appreciate a bit of background and all that, but felt it could have been done a lot quicker. Secondly, the deaths in the fight scenes are limited in what they show (obviously due to the fact it's a 12).

The bit with the dog type thing near the end made me and a couple of pals I was with nearly shit our pants despite it being very obvious it was about to jump out!

Abduction

I'm going to add a point thanks to the hilariously bad performance of Taylor Lautner keeping me going untill the end, but really, this was one big pile of w**k.

2/10

I watched Moneyball and Shrek 2 which I'd give an 8 each. Shrek 2 was in 3D and I thought it looked absolutely amazing. I'd previously seen Up in 3D and that was good, but the scope in Shrek 2 was incredible.

Greyfriars Bobby last night. The music is too loud and it's hard to hear what they are saying. This seems to be a problem with films produced over the past decade? Anyway, crap slow moving film and very disappointing. :(

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan are hired to try and find the daughter of a junkie that has been abducted from her home. A lot of twists in there but unlike a Shyamalan film they were all for the progression of the story... and although I see why they ended as they did felt that Ben Affleck really could have made it a bit more emotional rather than relying on his brother's facial expressions.

None-the-less the film had worked on sufficient levels to make it a good one, although I'm not quite sure why Amy Ryan was the one who got recognised by an Oscar nomination when Affleck Jr and Ed Harris both got overlooked.

8/10