What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I managed to see a couple of the highly rated 2011 films yesterday and today.

Drive

It reminded me of Kill Bill. Stylish, very nice to look at, but substance was sacrificed for style. I enjoyed it though. NWR shows he can use music to really enhance the viewing experience, and the build up to the violence is really well done. He said himself that the build up is the most intense part, and I would agree with that. It's a great love story, without the

fairy tale ending. My only complaint is that some parts of the dialogue were quite difficult to hear. There's not much character development either. However I'm looking forward to Winding Refn and Gosling's next collaboration in Only God Forgives.

Christina Hendricks and Carey Mulligan = bonus points

8.5/10

Warrior

I expected it to be slight cheesy but it wasn't (not even the ending). It's a very good film with Hardy/Edgerton/Nolte all putting in good performances (the latter is tremendous and he steals the show). One scene featuring Nolte and Hardy left me with a lump in my throat, it is quite moving in some places but for the most part it can be quite intense. The fight scenes are also very good IMO. This is the best "fighting" film out there IMO, and I include personal favourites such as Cinderella Man and Raging Bull in that category.

8.5/10

Watched some 'horror' film "The Task" last night.

Utter, UTTER pish.

Shame, as the premise was quite promising. TV producers shove a group of folk desperate to be on telly into a creepy old abandoned prison for a new reality TV show, and give them each a task. Unknown to them, the prison is haunted by the ghost of the sadistic warden, and yadda yadda.

So, interesting enough idea, extremely poorly executed, with awful acting, and plot holes the size of Russia.

Awful

0/10

I too watched the senna thing despite knowing hee haw about f1. It was various clips of him edited together with the odd voice over to tell the story of his career. I thought it really was very good I only wanted to watch the beginning to see if it was any good but ended up watching the whole thing.

From what I saw Senna looked the real deal had that real will to win and knew how to do it he also struck me as a switched on guy the bit where he was arguing with the f1 honchos about the tyres on the corners then whipped out their on statement/rule book and made an arse of them was quality

Edited by pub car king

This must be the place (2011)

Curious film with Sean Penn as a Robert Smith clone of an aging ex-rockstar. living in Dublin with Frances McDormand as his firewoman wife :blink:

Called to the USA to see his dying father, who he hasn't seen in 30 odd years, he learns of his fathers torment in Aushwitz, and the main tormenter is still alive and in America. He decides to try and find him.

Penn is excellant as a doddery, softly spoken goth.

Edit cos , doh, score.....8.5/10

Edited by wunfellaff

Drive

It reminded me of Kill Bill. Stylish, very nice to look at, but substance was sacrificed for style. I enjoyed it though. NWR shows he can use music to really enhance the viewing experience, and the build up to the violence is really well done. He said himself that the build up is the most intense part, and I would agree with that. It's a great love story, without the

fairy tale ending. My only complaint is that some parts of the dialogue were quite difficult to hear. There's not much character development either. However I'm looking forward to Winding Refn and Gosling's next collaboration in Only God Forgives.

Christina Hendricks and Carey Mulligan = bonus points

8.5/10

I love this film, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, some bits where Ryan Gosling isn't speaking when staring at Carey :wub: Mulligan went on for a bit too long sometimes, but I kinda like how he doesn't say anything he doesn't need to.

Dagon (2001)

Oh, ya bas! What a film. Best film I've seen in a while! Based on the H.P Lovecraft (love that boy) stories "Dagon" and "The Shadow over Innsmouth". Clearly H.P had been visiting Fife when he got the idea for this novel. Particularly Anstruther. It tells the tale of two couples who are yachting just off the coast of Spain when a storm hits. Shit goes down and one of the couples row to shore for help, but they are in for a spectacular surprise! All the locals are half fish, half human and they need sacrifices for their god! The next hour or so is the main characters running from these fish people and I must say, I was in stitches! Quite a nice wee twist at the end. But it didn't really make a lot of sense. I wish I had watched it drunk. Then it would have been 10/10.

7/10

Lord of the Flies (1963)

Always wanted to read the book but hadn't yet got around to it so I decided to watch this on BBC2. It's a bit of a strange film but I guess it has a good plot and moral to the story. If you forget the terrible acting it was a decent watch.

I have been told that it doesn't do the book any justice though.

7/10

Millers Crossing

Absolutely fantastic film, one of the Coen's finest. Out of all the gangster films ever made, it's got to be up there with your Godfathers and Goodfellas. Acting was just out of this world and the plot had me, literally, on the edge of my seat, you just didn't know what to expect, which can be said for most of the Coen Bros. works, because they are too damn good :)

10/10

several updates

Zeitgeist: Moving forward - I urge you to watch it. I felt enlightened afterwards. It's about our need to change the market -monetary system, to a system which based on sustainability and fulfilling human need and science as the market monetary system is the root of so many of our problems. 10/10

Land and freedom - about a liverpudlian going to fight in the spanish civil war, directed by Ken loach. Good watch. 7/10

Birds

- both by alfred hitchcock and excepsional. both would be 8/10

Phycho

Edited by jojo

There be Dragons (2011)

Its 1982 and Gerard Butler is a Spanish writer hired to write a book on the soon to be cannonised founder of Opus Dei.

He takes the chance to visit his dying father, who he finds out knew the priest as a young man, and through the Civil War.

Told in flashback you can see the twist a mile off. and not sure that the historical accuracy is there ie who is after the priest in Madrid.

Two childhood friends who take differing paths have been done so many time before and been done so much better, 'Angels with dirty faces' springs to mind.

5/10 - mainly cos The Civil War scenes are well done.

Edited by wunfellaff

Over the weekend:

The Ides of March: 7/10

Decent enough film. I really like US politcs based films and TV, so I was a bit disapointed with this effort, especially given the cast. But it was enjoyable enough. Bit too short.

Up: 9/10

Pixar at its best. Although, I have to question their knowledge of basic physics...

Thank You for Smoking: 8/10

Very funny. Did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did, mainly because I dont really like Aaron Eckhart.

@ magee84 and pub car king

Thought Senna was a stunning watch as well, and even though your both not big motorsport fans by the sounds of it, can I recommend Closer To The Edge, the documentary on the Isle of Man TT race.

Simply looks at 4/5 riders over the 2010 TT event and some of the footage is just drop dead gorgeous. Even if you have no idea about the Isle of Man TT beforehand, you'll have an urge to go over the following year (I'm heading over this year, partly on the back of the film/documentary but also on the fact I've always wanted to do.)

Edited by Mackie The Staggie

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

Live action Disney film with Nicolas Cage. The spoof of Fantasia was wonderful, brought back great memories of my childhood!

It's one of those films that is so ridiculous you just can switch your mind off and forget that none of the things happening is possible, which is what they tried and dismally failed to do with Wanted...

6/10