What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Watched a bunch since I last did some reviews so I'll quick run through the ones I can remember;

Tropic Thunder - Absolutely fantastic. Every one of the main guys are amazing in this. Coogan, Baruchel and Jackson are good. Black, McBride, McConaughey and Stiller are great. But Downey Jr and Cruise steal this one, they're so fucking funny. 8/10

Jackie Brown - Amazing. It's a shame this doesn't get as much praise as Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or the Kill Bill films. I think Jackson is better in this than he is in Pulp Fiction(or Kill Bill Volume 2 for that matter). De Niro is phenomenal, as always too and Pam Grier leads the film very well. Nice wee cameo from Chris Tucker too. Great story, come to be expected from Tarantino. Had me singing Across 110th Street for days after I saw it. 8.5/10

True Romance - Another great film from the pen of Quentin Tarantino. Slater and Arquette are fantastic in this, not enough performances like the former(that I've seen at least). The film is supplemented with great performances from Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Dennis Hopper and Chris Penn. James Gandolfini, Brad Pitt and Val Kilmar are fantastic in their roles too. The scene with Walken and Hopper is one of the best I've ever seen watch it

(bit of swearing so beware of that). 8.5/10

Desperado - Nifty wee flick. Bandaras is a great lead in this. I love Buscemi, Trejo and Tarantino so this was bound to go down well. Nice action scenes during it and the various shoot outs were fun. 7/10

Day of the Dead(original) - Knew the ending but hadn't seen the start of it. Twas a good watch. Not really the usual clusterfuck that happens in zombie films, I guess the fact it's the third film so they're more used to the situation. Made for a better film, IMO. Not that it doesn't hit the fan but it's more focused on the struggle between scientists and military personnel. It's a well written script and the domestication aspect of the zombie, Bub, is great. The salute at the end is great, dark humour. Not as good as Dawn or Night but still a tremendous zombie flick. 7/10.

Death Proof - Another underrated film IMO. Got that great b-movie feel but has a tremendous cast. Kurt Russell is absolute gold in this. Level headed in the bar scenes but really turns on the scariness when he goes bad. Phenomenal actor. Dawson and Bell are great in this too. I absolutely love Stuntman Mike though, what a great character. 7.5/10.

Not that it's been that great a film watching week, I watched Crossing Over last night, what a shitfuck this is.

Happy Feet Two (2011)

Mumble, his son Erik and their new Puffin friend Sven have to rescue the Emperors after an ice collapse traps them in Emperor Land with a bit of help from Ramon and the rest of the Adélies.

Can they save them before they run out of food?

Where there's a krill there's a way!

7/10 - musical choice was hilarious, especially this!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This guy likes EGB's taste

La Haine

I loved this film, it was brilliant. The characters behaved like arseholes at times and had some stupid views, and yet I totally empthasised with the three main characters. It was a film about really serious issues and yet it had some laugh out loud moments, such as the bit with the wee Jewish guy in the toilets. I was wary of this film because everyone says it's so good, but it was worthy of the hype.

9/10

Now go watch Mesrine, Sur Mes Levres and Eastern Promises mothafucker.

Raging Bull

Robert De Niro's metamorphosis both physically and emotionally is beyond belief. The thing about Jake LaMotta in this film is that he's a villain with many problems, which he can't properly handle, but you get to know him so well that you can't help but feel sorry for him.

10/10

Totally agree. The fact that his character is essentially a massive c**t yet you end up with such emotional investment in him, is what makes it one of the best ever performances. I don't care what people say about De Niro now, he is responsible for so many of the most subtle, intelligent and deep performances I've ever seen. Total legend.

Said it before but Joe Pesci is actually a great actor aside from being the funny/hard wee man. Amazing film.

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher

Battle Royale

I've heard great things about this film, so I decided to give it a go last night. First things first, it is a tremendous idea for a film. They execute the idea well - to an extent. It's good to see the relationship between the classmates develop but they don't explain a number of the characters so it ends up as a mess where these random children are apparently "bad" but you have no idea who they are. I didn't want an information dump, however a small degree of exposition for the other characters would have been useful. Does this take away from the issues and the film addresses and what the film represents? No not at all, it's just a shame I didn't give a shit about the characters.

Anyway, I didn't really enjoy the film but as I've said, the idea is excellent and it is explored to an extent, but I still feel they could have gone further. I'm sure someone will be along soon to say "Well you just didn't get it", but I did "get it" and I don't think it's the masterpiece some people make it out to be.

6/10

Battle Royale

I've heard great things about this film, so I decided to give it a go last night. First things first, it is a tremendous idea for a film. They execute the idea well - to an extent. It's good to see the relationship between the classmates develop but they don't explain a number of the characters so it ends up as a mess where these random children are apparently "bad" but you have no idea who they are. I didn't want an information dump, however a small degree of exposition for the other characters would have been useful. Does this take away from the issues and the film addresses and what the film represents? No not at all, it's just a shame I didn't give a shit about the characters.

Anyway, I didn't really enjoy the film but as I've said, the idea is excellent and it is explored to an extent, but I still feel they could have gone further. I'm sure someone will be along soon to say "Well you just didn't get it", but I did "get it" and I don't think it's the masterpiece some people make it out to be.

6/10

Well you just didn't get it.

You should give this a watch.

Edited by Kid Twist

I've always thought that De Caprio was a poor choice as the lead in this movie. I enjoyed it , but , for me they could have used someone with a bit more dig (at that time , I think he's a lot better now)

Who though?

Battle Royale

6/10

I'm not sure you need much explanation. It's last man standing so of course it's gonna change people. There's only a few who are really bad.

Mitsuko, Oki and Yoshio. Mitsuko is the girl with the sickle who I didn't really get the impression turned that way. Oki and Yoshio both seem crazy(Oki is the guy with the hatchet who fights Nanahara and Yoshio is the crossbow guy)

Obviously Kazuo and Kitano are the main villains but again they don't really turn, they're just billed like that.

I guess there's also the group that bully Kazuo but you don't see them kill anyone else so I don't think they can be considered "bad"

6/10? I don't think we can be friends, Yoda.

Edited by forehead7

Well you just didn't get it.

You should give this a watch.

Versus isn't in the same league as Battle Royale, that advice is like recommending Surfs Up to a Happy Feet fan...

Versus isn't in the same league as Battle Royale, that advice is like recommending Surfs Up to a Happy Feet fan...

I remember watching them both back to back in summer 2005, so in my mind they always go together hand in hand. Like Surfs Up and Happy Feet do, ken?. Not Battle Royale 2 though. That's shite, like.

Cargo ( 2009 )

Can nobody just do the "someone might be on board the spaceship with me" in a simple fashion? This time the Germans have a shot. It's not a bad movie. It starts off as a reasonably tense thriller about a woman who thinks someone might be on board a space shuttle with her, and it descends into something... well... different. There's about three decent ideas for movies in here, and they've all been squashed together. However, it's still entertaining enough stuff.

7/10

Felt it got a bit ridiculous towards the end, although in saying that, it kinda helped because it was gripping stuff. When they reach Icarus I, it's all good from there. The scenes when they are boarding said vessel are particularly creepy to me.

I think I wound up giving it a 7. The change in direction threw me a bit, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Not solely on that theme but what do you make of Sunshine (Danny Boyle)?

I gave it 9/10, Boyle really is good at creating a really tense atmosphere, be it from being stuck in a rock, surrounded by zombies or just getting your arse kicked by police for answering questions on a game show correctly!

Just finished watching Kingpin on Film4, I forgot how great this film is since it's been a few years since I must've last seen it. Harrelson and Murray are fantastic in it. So many times was I buckling over in laughter. Especially when

they escape with Claudia and Roy says to Claudia that she needs to be calm like Ishmael and the camera pans to him and his face is stuck in a mix between mad.gif and ohmy.gif.

Really solid comedy. 8/10

A Few Good Men - Not watched it since I was quite young. Thoroughly entertaining film with typically excellent performance from Nicholson (also remember when Tom Cruise was good?) It's maybe not passed the test of time so well because so many of the plot techniques have been used in millions of legal/thriller dramas since. Bit predictable and cheesy as a result.

Antagonising witness until they completely pointlessly admit guilt etc

The wee vulnerable, stupid defendant: "Dishonourable discharge? What does that mean? :lol: :lol: Come on ffs

Still a bit of a classic and paved the way for Sorkin to produce better stuff in the future.

8/10.

Bit of a plot hole I thought?

Cruise knew he get could get Jessup to admit the code red because he's an egomaniac with a god complex.

If torture and red-coding was justifiable in Jessup's book and the Sutherland character was already doing it regularly, why create the big conspiracy? When discussing what to do about Santiago he would have just told Keifer to do the usual surely? Instead a US army Colonel went to the dorms and instructed the guy who could be framed with a motive to do it. This despite Jessup not knowing the torture would end in a death

Edited by SodjesSixteenIncher