What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Midnight Run - 9/10.

Action/comedy with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin. Caught this again last night, it's from 1988 but the film has aged well. De Niro is a bounty hunter bringing in Charles Grodin's mob accountant. Plent of action, odd couple caper's and solid performances by the two leads with excellent support from Dennis Farina's mob boss and Joe Pantoliano's bail bonds man. Definately worth a watch if you've never seen before.

Here come two words for you: shut the f**k up. :P

One of my favourites.

Midnight Run - 9/10.

Action/comedy with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin. Caught this again last night, it's from 1988 but the film has aged well. De Niro is a bounty hunter bringing in Charles Grodin's mob accountant. Plent of action, odd couple caper's and solid performances by the two leads with excellent support from Dennis Farina's mob boss and Joe Pantoliano's bail bonds man. Definately worth a watch if you've never seen before.

Brilliant filmbiggrin.gif

Here come two words for you: shut the f**k up. :P

One of my favourites.

Brilliant filmbiggrin.gif

This probably isnt all that funny to read but it makes me laugh cos i can picture the scene. Grodin plays it straight so well...

Jonathan Mardukas: What's the name of this establishment?

Red Wood: Red's Corner Bar.

Jonathan Mardukas: Are you Red?

Red Wood: Yes.

Jonathan Mardukas: Do you dye your hair?

Red Wood: No.

[pause]

Jonathan Mardukas: Why do they call you Red?

Red Wood: It's short for Redwood. My last name's Wood.

Jonathan Mardukas: What's your first name?

Red Wood: Bill.

This probably isnt all that funny to read but it makes me laugh cos i can picture the scene. Grodin plays it straight so well...

Jonathan Mardukas: What's the name of this establishment?

Red Wood: Red's Corner Bar.

Jonathan Mardukas: Are you Red?

Red Wood: Yes.

Jonathan Mardukas: Do you dye your hair?

Red Wood: No.

[pause]

Jonathan Mardukas: Why do they call you Red?

Red Wood: It's short for Redwood. My last name's Wood.

Jonathan Mardukas: What's your first name?

Red Wood: Bill.

I paused it and made the missus watch that scene last night as she hasn't seen the film before. I don't think she could quite undertand why I collapsed into a fit of laughter.

Watched Bug last night. I saw it years ago, must have been just after it was released. Still not really sure what to make of it. It's quite disturbing, but at the same time hard to take it too seriously. Ashley Judd is brilliant in it tho. I'd be very interested in what anyone who's watched it thought of it.

The Help - 9/10

Been wanting to see this for a while and finally got a chance to check it out. Great movie with solid performances all round with Octavia Spencer fully deserving her best supporting actress oscar. Heartfelt and funny from start to finish, I would recommend it.

Plus Emma Stone would geeeet it.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by 11thHour

Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/The Dark Knight Rises

Saw the Batman trilogy in the cinema over the last few days. Hadn't seen any before, and not really being into the comic-book genre hadn't read anything on it, I'd only seen the trailer for the third one. The story was great and a million miles from some of the more camp efforts from the past. If Batman Begins was a masterclass in re-booting a franchise, The Dark Knight Rises was it's equivelant in bringing it to a close. See it on the big screen!

9.5/10

Brick and The Lookout are worth a look too. I really want to see Hesher as well.

watched the lookout on lovefilm last month and loved his performance in it

1 question though regarding the film - where the f*** did isla fisher go in it? haha

In every film I've seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt in he's been superb...admittedly that is only four films ((500) Days of Summer, 50/50, Inception and the Dark Knight Rises)

if you want to watch a film purely for a gordon-levitt performance you should give halloween h20 and gi:joe a miss

he is good in 10 things i hate about you

I've to choose a "sequence (ten minutes or less)" of a movie from a list of films and take it apart, from Mise-en-screen, to sound, camera and editing for uni. Thankfully [REC] was on it. I have chosen the last ten minutes, from where they lock themselves in the penthouse. I must say it has been rather enjoyable. Struggling to find something to do with editing though.

It gave me a chance to watch [REC] again which is always good, still an 8/10, great movie and one of my favourite horror films.

Brave

Pixar have a huge job on their hands every single time now- they're expected to achieve brilliance in every film they make, but at the same time they are trying to do something different with it all. So I feel sorry for them this time, because they've made a film that's imaginative, hilarious and comes with a bit of good, old-fashioned Pixar heart, but it's ultimately disappointing.

Some fantastic moments, and great characters- Billy Connolly as the King of ancient Scotland is a particularly good voice performance and you really should give it your time because it's very clever and a lot of fun, but put it up against Wall-E or Toy Story and it can't compete. One of Pixar's weakest films ever.

On reflection, the trailers hint to the big plot surprise very nicely, a bit like Midnight In Paris last year.

6/10

Edited by Albino Rover

Wonder Boys

I've just finished the Michael Chabon novel for the second time so decided to give thje film a watch and I wasn't disappointed. Quite a strong cast with Micheal Douglas taking the lead role along with Robert Downey Jr, Katie Holmes and Toby Maguire. The basic story is quite hard to explain but it's an excellent book and the film is pretty decent as well.

8/10

Brave

Pixar have a huge job on their hands every single time now- they're expected to achieve brilliance in every film they make, but at the same time they are trying to do something different with it all. So I feel sorry for them this time, because they've made a film that's imaginative, hilarious and comes with a bit of good, old-fashioned Pixar heart, but it's ultimately disappointing.

Some fantastic moments, and great characters- Billy Connolly as the King of ancient Scotland is a particularly good voice performance and you really should give it your time because it's very clever and a lot of fun, but put it up against Wall-E or Toy Story and it can't compete. One of Pixar's weakest films ever.

On reflection, the trailers hint to the big plot surprise very nicely, a bit like Midnight In Paris last year.

6/10

There is something lacking in the film but I'm not sure what. 6/10 bit harsh isn't it?

I thought Kevin McKidd did a great job. Probably the first and last time I'll hear a Doric accent in a movie.

Soldiers of Fortune (2012)

Pile o' shoite with Christian Bale, Sean Bean and one of the hobbits in a merc protecting rich folk thang, in a made up rebellion on a Romanian island that if your lucky was 2 miles square.

Avoid.

1/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid:Dog Days

took the kids to see this as they have seen the first 2 and are both big fans of the book, you get a few laughs and it's enjoyable enough but a bit hard to watch in places, the kids enjoyed it so happy days I suppose. 5/10

Has anybody on here seen "My Dinner With Andre"? Been meaning to see it for a wee while (after seeing the Community parody of it tongue.gif ) and eventually bought it last week. Just wondering how high my expectations of it should be before I watch it

I struggled to find it cheaper than about £15 so haven't seen it, but Roger Ebert was raving about it, named it in his top 10 films of the '80s. Great idea for a film if it's well executed. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

Where did you get it Stewbo? Reasonable price or did you have to fork out?

Paprika - 8/10.

Watched this on film4. Japanese anime about a device that lets you enter people's dreams to try and resolve their mental health issues. The prototype is stolen and mis-used resulting in some chaos. The visuals are stunning and a more accurate reflection of dreams than Inception was. The storyline is fairly basic and the ending is nowhere near as epic as the film deserves. With a better final confrontation and more complex mystery this could have been 10/10 for me.